Hired Guns: Jagged Edge - Demo Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We haven't really followed this one following the farce with Strategy First parting ways with MiSTland over the Jagged Alliance license but the game that was once Jagged Alliance 3D - now Hired Guns: Jagged Alliance following the split - has a demo available for those interested in seeing what MiSTland would have done.
The file is hosted on a German language site GBase.ch but appears to be marked English (731Mb). Thanks, Maximous!
More information.

I've had a quick play with the demo and it seemed OK. The English translation is beyond a joke though.

I do like that they are using turn-based battles.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2558
or this thread from august 27?

don't worry Dhruin i doubt to many people here are going to be playing the game anyhow. but i still think you should put up a newsbit about the hard to be a god demo as you can tweak the ini file with ease so all the text and menus, etc are in english. you can just pretend the russian voices are coming from stalkers:)

I imagine it will similar to Brigade E5: New Jagged Union, but it looks more polished. Might be worth a look.

I'm confused. I thought MISTland lost the license and the right to develop JA:3 because they were going real-time, and that Strategy First had granted the rights to someone else, AND that JA:3 would be based on the Silent Storm engine.

Are there going to be two new JA games now?

This is a pretty good demo. I spent about 20 minutes on it yesterday getting used to it.

I'm shocked that its turn based. I thought ignoring turn based was what got MiStland fired from Strategy First for not sticking with JA's roots. I had thought that the separation might be a good thing because then MiST could make the game they wanted.

I'm starting to suspect there was more to it than that, that we only heard one of the story. Clearly this is the game they contracted them to do.

Perhaps SF's Interplay like finances had something to do with it?

The voices are horrid and bit comical. I think what they are trying to do is pretend the mercs are all foreigners who speak bad English in order to cover it up.

I'm confused. I thought MISTland lost the license and the right to develop JA:3 because they were going real-time, and that Strategy First had granted the rights to someone else, AND that JA:3 would be based on the Silent Storm engine.

Are there going to be two new JA games now?

Yep, all sorta true. MiSTland lost the license but decided to release the game with a different name/setting. I don't think they lost it specifically because they were going RT (because they changed it back) - I think there was general confusion and SF didn't pay anything, so both sides parted ways in the chaos.

JA3 was always TB - it was just the side-project JA3D that was mooted as RT.

Akella and dat will now do JA3.

I read about it in a German gaming magazine today ... The magazine "Gamestar" says thsat the game will be released here in Germany at March, 6th.
Source
There are Screenshots, too.

Back
Top Bottom