Gothic 3 Gothic III Bug Fest - Gamestar Video

Moriendor

Excommunicado
RPGWatch Donor
German print mag Gamestar has recorded a video of Gothic III bugs. You can find the clip right here on YouTube. Some of it is pretty amusing... at least if you can call spending EUR xx.xx on this garbage "amusing" that is :biggrin: .

What's shown in the video (pretty much in this order) is:

- Player character skating through the world due to an eating animation that did not finish correctly
- Messed up NPC pathfinding (the slaves don't know how to cross a bridge)
- Arena bugs
- Crossbow bugs
- Overpowered wildlife and creature AI issues
- Misplaced objects, floating NPCs, clipping errors
- General AI bugs (the orc guards attack for no real reason)
- Water display issues
- Random invisibilty bug of the player character
- Darkness bug despite a fire that should light up the scene in the middle of the room
- NPCs/monsters ignoring walls (collision) and passing through a cave wall to end up on the outside world on the other side.

Speaking of skating last night an Orc Elte pulled out his crossbow due to the distance between us, making him skate directly 1 foot in front of me, he even seems to have a look of surprise on his face knowing his weapon was rather usless at close range, so even the AI know about the bugs. :lol:

Even if it were true JoWood had to get the game out or start losing massive money, the fact still remains especially with a RPG and even most other AAA titles it takes more than 3 years to complete.
An experienced pub with an eye for maxium profit would know this and not set contracts for 3 years, cutting off its on right leg, this game clearly needed 3 to 6 mroe months.

Morriendor,

You don't have to be so negative about the game all the time. Yes it is dissapointing and needs a patch+rework -- no one is arguing that.

Let's just be positive about it. PB got really ambitious and made some misfires. What they tried to do has not been done before on such a scale -- a big CRPG in a massive, no-load world with real time combat. Maybe 3.5 years is not enough time for anybody to make something this big and have it seem "complete" and polished in every way.

That's why I always wish some developer with big pockets like Valve or Id would make a real CRPG. They have enough money that they can write their own ticket and not have to answer to any publisher. That's the only way you can make a huge, deep game that Gothic 3 is trying to be and really pull it off without a bugfest or skimping on features/content. "Its done when its done" might actually be good in this case.

I remember skating like that a few times in G2 as well!! Wish I understood the commentary!!

That's why I always wish some developer with big pockets like Valve or Id would make a real CRPG. They have enough money that they can write their own ticket and not have to answer to any publisher.

But they won't. They make the money they do by sticking to projects that have the biggest possible potential audiences and are arguably easier to develop.

Actuallly there is a chance Valve is secretly planning and starting an RPG type game, not sure if its a MMOG or PC SP RPG.
It has been slightly hinted at by Warren Spector since he and Gabe have started a sort of parternship.
This is only my oppinion and I have no facts, but I believe it to be mostly true. :)

Yes, Junction Point is working on something with Valve and I hope it has some Deus Ex or SS -like attributes, but I guess I meant more "hardcore" RPGs than what I assume will primarily be an FPS.

Good point, though.

You could have mentioned Gamestar filmed the unpatched version.

Indeed, several of those bugs, such as the invisibility thing and the arena bugs, do not exist after patching.

Back
Top Bottom