ES4: Oblivion - Knights of the Nine Review @ Gamespot

Kalia

Watchdog
Gamespot has posted a review of the recently released expansion to Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion. Scoring Knights of the Nine at a decent 8.3, the reviewer said:
The content seems to be identical whether you play it on the PC or the 360, and the inherent strengths of the respective versions once again come into play. Don't expect much in the way of different graphics and sound from what you've already seen in Oblivion, but Knights of the Nine features plenty of new voice acting, a couple of powerful new enemies, and a few new effects. It's mildly disappointing that the Xbox 360 version of Knights of the Nine doesn't include any new unlockable achievements to commemorate your accomplishments, considering the other main quest lines all have achievements tied to them. But all in all, Knights of the Nine gives you a good day or two's worth of questing for a low price. If you haven't played Oblivion in a while, this new quest will be a great reminder of what makes it such a remarkable game.
More information.

Nobody seems to care about Oblivion anymore.
How appropriate me too :lol:

I wonder how much success the extra downloads and this expansion have had. I don't hear a lot of excitement about them anymore.

I hear bits and pieces - but more about the XBOX360 version. I don't know how it all breaks out in terms of sales ...

The funny thing is, I still haven't even played Oblivion yet.

I have it installed and I've toyed with it a bit, but I haven't started a serious game yet. First I was waiting to upgrade my system so I could fully enjoy it. Then I decided to wait because I knew I wouldn't have it finished before Gothic 3 came out. Now I'm waiting for the final Gothic 3 patch. Lol, someday I'll get around to it.

Hehe well you are much better off playing Oblivion first imo, as Gothic will take away the negitives you get from playing Oblivion.
Not that its really bad its just more of an action game than a real RPG, it basicly has stats but they don't matter in the end as all the races finishout about the same.

Races are the only real element of RPG in Oblvion, you can't really choose how you acomplish things, well at least in the vanilla version, no real choices in dialogue.
It is fun to explore, ride around on your horse checking out some of the dungens but after you have seen 10 (maybe less) you've seen them all.

I'm not sure what mods to install. I want one that disables the auto-scaling for monsters and treasure but not much else. I looked at the Obscuro mod, but it changes too many things for my liking.

Also, I know there are several mods that increase the texture detail in the game, especially in the distance, can anyone tell me the best one?

I'm not going to pick this one up, Oblivion was the dissapointment of this year for me. And I'm not going to pay extra for things that should have been included with the game.
I can't help but wonder if OB will have the same lifespan as Morrowind, which I recently reinstalled on my PC. Somehow I doubt it though, these fast "action asdventure with RP element" just do not attract the same audience...

JDR13, Quarl's up to pack 3 now, is the best if not its definatly second, well last time I looked.
One thing you might consider is getting BKMod it changes the crappy console looks and functions of the Inventory, Map, Quest, Weapons and Spell Tabs making them much more tolorable, it may very well be the number most popular mod.
Here is a link to a great site which has many top modders whom have fled the Bethseda borads due to crappy rules like no nudity, look for Oblivion "Work in Progress' and "Release".
Quarl, Eshme and Aleenee a couple I recall, atm.
http://canadianice.ufrealms.net/forum2/index.php

Here is the Unofficial Patch thread which fixes so many problems Bethseda are to busy to fix cause they are making crappy download content.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=571999

Here is a list of the best mods in different catagories, scroll down to "Where can I find good mods?" where you will find a list of about 6 different site that monitor mods.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=449239

Finallly the Mother of all Mods TESSource.
http://www.tessource.net/files/

Over the last week I spent about 2 hours reaquainting myself considering play through again while I wait on Gothic 3 and these are some of the things I noticed.

I personally couldn't play without all the Better Body, Face and Hair Mods then make the PC look so damn good.
The site http://canadianice.ufrealms.net I gave you has all the greats (well many) doing all the great new armors and weapons, Better Bodies has a Whole damn store to shop at for Wickedly good outfits and you can choose the Non nudity version if you don't want to catch a peep while switching outfits. ;)

Last my favorite is Gabby companion Mod, some of the Compainons are amazing with back stories, quest, riding horses, collecting plants, organising them for you to make potions, they will wait for you doing things like making potions or wait for you in the local tavens, going to get food or shopping during the day until you return.
Though you will need to spend some time with them, which could be a little overwhelming if you haven't play it before.
Its great having a companion though Gabby even tells you what her Stats are if you ask, so you can monitor how she is leveling choosing how to focus her.
When Stealthing she cast Invis on herself, this may seem a little unfair but it was the best way to prevent a companion form gettting argo if your a Stealth style character.
She is essential so she will only get knocked out in battle but you can turn it off, by now they may have a resurction spell depending on how strict of a player you are.

Well anyway this should be at least a start for you. ;)

With a great editor Gothic 3 could blow Oblivion out of the water, these mods are what make Oblivon.

Thanks Acleacius, I appreciate those links. I'll definitely check out that BKMod and the unofficial patch.

I never used any mods for Morrowind and I'm not a big mod fan in general, but I can't stand how Oblivion feels like a console game. The auto-leveling for the enemies is the biggest let-down for me.

Np, I will keep an eye out for one that just does fixes the autoleveling. :)

Or wait you can try this thread I just remembered, let me get a link.
Nope I checked first 5 pages things still move pretty fast.
There is a thread well actually its up to the 10th thread iir, where if you know of a mod but can't find it they will find it for you, something like "Mod help" or "Mod Locater".

Actually you could just post and say for your first playthrough is there a mod that only address "........" whatever you want, someone will help.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25

Too bad your not into mods, though this can get overwhelming if you don't know what you want.
Its just the game PCs can look so good with a couple of mods, well better than I have ever seen in a game.
Here's my PC on the left and Gabby companion on the right, think they are in their desert attire must have been very hot! :D
http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=buffygabby1ts.jpg

Back
Top Bottom