Gothic 3 Beginner's questions - please enlighten...

prannock

Traveler
Hello all,
Just started my first Gothic - Gothic 3.
There are a several thing I can't figure out and I have read the manual.
Thanks a lot in advance.

1)Should I invest into "Advanced shield parry" (I already have the first one)? I seem to be doing better with shields vs. humans and much worse vs. animals. Do they confer any active bonuses when equipped? Is there any difference between parrying with shield or a weapon?

2) Will mineable ore veins be highlighted with text, so i just left click them, like "Anvil" or "Bench"? or have I got to know where to click, like treasures?

3) Opening which chests is "criminal" and which it is not?
In the wilderness they are fair game. But in towns, other than those marked red? For instance , in Cape Dun, behind Deckard theres an unremarkable shed with 2 similar chests. I open one, no reaction. I open second one, commotion and "thief, thief!"
What about chests that are in "public" areas, like rebel camp entrance and such?

4) Which attribute actually affects Crossbows? Manual says hunting, I think, but to lern the skills one needs strengh as well.

prannock

1) animals are the thoughest fights in the game, dont know about shield pary though
2) yes they will
3)all chests in town if I am not mistaken are seen as theft, few exceptions on that rule
4)both, strength for better crossbow and huntingskill for change to hit and damage

1) Shield parry does not help at all vs animals. It's only good for NPCs.

2) Yes, and if there is ever any action that you want to perform but clicking the left mouse button does not trigger any action, then try the 'CTRL' key. It's always been the "action key" since the first game.

3) I'm not sure if anyone has figured out 100% how this works. I believe the current consensus is that the developers have simply forgotten (not had the time) to assign property values to every single chest and/or that there is a points system at work, i.e. you do not get punished for your very first theft but instead you accumulate "hate" from the NPCs as you continue to steal until you hit the magic number and draw aggro.
It might be that this points system is based on simply the number of thefts or on an internally calculated visibility value (determined by how many NPCs saw you open the chest and take away the stuff).

1)i could have sworn that shield affects your stance and thus how you swing your weapon. so while a shield may not block an animal attack it allows you a quick lunge attack that is debateable as to whether it is more effective than not. it has been many months though so...

Yes, the shield helps if you fail to get the first strike. You have a higher chance (if you are extremely lucky) to get back the initiative when you perform that "block attack". However, with most animals you just don't have the time ;) so it's always better to strike first and to forget about the shield. Offense and clicking the right mouse button like mad to keep the upper hand is the much better "defense" vs animals than doing anything with the shield.

For chests, it's best that no one sees you open it. Although I'd suggest waiting until your reputation in that city is high and the NPCs become friendly (their names become green) because after opening chests they will no longer accuse you of theft.

Armor, is ineffective, against animals which is why they are far more dangerous than weapon wielding enemies.

Why NOT to learn strong shield parry? The skill only demands 125 hunting skill. And like we all know learning points are quite plentifull in the game.. It has only positive effects, first of all it makes your shield stance much stronger against enemy attacks (hence the name obviously). In addition when you have learned strong shield stance, hero holds his shield higher, thus covering more of his body which is very usefull against enemy archers.

+They give nice armor boost which is quite important if you are a warrior of any sort.

+you can block incoming arrows and bolts. There are lots of enemies who use bows and xbows. Keep your shield up always when moving forwards enemy lines.

If you wish to use your shield in effective manner, boost your stamine up. You must have noticed that when stamina bar is depleted, enemy hits drain your health no matter whether you have a shield up. Blocking tends to become useless if you can't take any hits.

Ok, thanks for replies.
One more thing.

I have a "lump of sulphur" in inventory. How to produce "sulphur" out of it?
I want to make fire arrows, have skill, recipe, but this lump isn't registering as "sulphur" at alchemist's bench.

And, HOW TO GET MILK? :)
There are cows but no "milking skill" :p , and nobody's selling it either.
On a similar note, Where are all the food recipes???
I have so many ingredients, and I'm sick of roast meat.

Is there a recipe for "fried eggs" or something?
I have scavenger eggs, found a pan, but its irritating I can't simply combine them. Though given Gothic's loot and reward system, the recipe is probably guarded on the highest peak, in the tallest tower by more monsters than all 12 Chalices combined.

prannock

Edit:
Just realised perhaps the answers to these belong to Spoilers Section.
If that is so, Please post replies in my other thread ( titled "Returning slave (Cape Dun) to owner - a newb's question..." ) in the Gothic 3 spoilers sub-forum.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Lumps of Sulphur are used in a quest, and you find it on the ground. Sulphur, on the other hand, is mined from Sulphur Veins, and used for various recipes.

What do you need milk for? The quest in Montera asks for specific milk barrels located on one of the farms.

As far as I know, there are no cooking recipes. There are various recipes for booz and similar, but none for food.

You are a bit mistaken, there is a recipe for meatbug stew. :)

the delicacy formaly known as meatbug ragout:)

When you kill cows and loot the carcasses, you will get meat and milk, which is conveniently stored in jars :lol:

Oh! Meatbug ragout, the one you originally help the chef in the old camp in Gothic 1 to make, what a tasty treat, hehe.

Back
Top Bottom