IGN's top 25 PC games of all time

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/1011624p1.html

I must admit I was surprised to see some entries (I never liked Civ4 as original Civ), and lack of some others (Age of Empires, don't tell me you never played it and had fun) and for some games I'd say, yea, ther're good, but the best? I simply can't agree.
Here's the list:

25 - Falcon 4.0

24 - Diablo

23 - Doom

22 - Unreal Tournament

21 - Deus Ex

20 - Grim Fandango

19 - Fallout

18 - System Shock 2

17 - Crysis

16 - StarCraft

15 - Command & Conquer

14 - Company of Heroes

13 - The Sims

12 - World of Warcraft

11 - Sim City

10 - Call Of Duty

9 - MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat

8 - Rome: Toatal War

7 - Sid Meier's Pirates!

6 - Half Life

5 - Battlefield 1942

4 - Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

3 - Civilization IV

2 - Star Wars TIE Fighter

1 - X-COM: UFO Defense

A few games I can think of that could be there but overall it's a decent list (surprised Age Of Empires and Jedi Knight weren't on there).

Lots of classics on there (thank the gods Oblivion and Fallout 3 didn't make the list!), decent mix of genres.

Is X-Com really that good? Always high on these lists, never played it.

Doom should be much higher, at least in the top 10.

On the other hand, Battlefield 1942 has no business being in the top 5.

Is X-Com really that good? Always high on these lists, never played it.
#1 evah might be overselling it a bit, but it was an excellent title that's soaked up hours and hours of my life. It's challenging to get running these days, at least for an idiot such as I. If you want a relatively faithful modern remake, I would heartily recommend UFO:Extraterrestrials.

X-Com is definitely in my top 3.

Beyond being fantastically entertaining, it's also 100% unsurpassed without a single serious contender in that genre. Except if you count Jagged Alliance 2 - but I think it's sufficiently different to represent a different kind of game.

Also, it was very innovative - and a big step forward from what the very same brothers started with Rebelstar Raiders or whatever the first one was called.

#1 evah might be overselling it a bit, but it was an excellent title that's soaked up hours and hours of my life. It's challenging to get running these days, at least for an idiot such as I. If you want a relatively faithful modern remake, I would heartily recommend UFO:Extraterrestrials.

I remember having some problems with it as well. I did finally get it working with dosbox somehow. Sorry about the vagueness, but if you search abandonia's forum they have the trick to get it to run correctly.

They supposedly have it at steam, but it's unavailable in my region. You may get a screen other than 'unavailable in your region'.

I do know that gamersgate has all of them. Even though they are not GoG, I would assume that if they are selling them that they work on todays computers.

Surprisingly good list. I don't know what Crysis and Call of Duty are doing in there, but all the other games that are mentioned and I played are undeniably great classics. And I played most of them. Top 5 looks good to me except for Battlefield which I never played. I am missing one of the Ultimas, though. Perhaps U6 or 7.

I agree with the sentiments - and even the niggles I have are good games, and I'm willing to let that all go.

For anyone and IGN who has not heard the news yet the nro:1 game has had propel secual for like years now? http://www.matrixgames.com/products/342/screenshots/UFO:.Extraterrestrials

The game needs one mod but then its everything those ufo games were and more. I know I played them all.

EDIT: Tie Fighter nro2? Im starting to like this list.

Civ4? Not true at all. I had most fun playing the first civ. After that it has been only slight improvements. Civ4 did not break the trend for me. Id rather avard the first civ. If anything that was the game.

Its not a bad list really.

I must be a very weird gamer, not even one of my favourite games in that list :(

X-com and Deus are very good games tho .

Well ... then give us some clues about your own list.

TES games / space sims / Paradox's grand strategy games .

Speaking of "all time" is rather strange to see Rome : total war in and not Europa Universalis or Victoria or Cossacks ; also very strange to see Star Wars TIE Fighter and not any of the X-universe or Wing commander or even Freelancer .
I understand that many people love Baldur Gates although i don't but not a single TES game in the list? very odd.
Sim City always was a fun game but IMHO there are better city builders like Caesar series .

The best space game of all-time:

Privateer.

Followed closely by Elite for innovation.

They did indeed screw up on a number of games, but we gotta accept subjectivity and all that ;)

The Sims? You gotta be kidding me.
I suppose for being an extremely popular populist casual game series it deserves to be included in some list but… ugh.. then again, I suppose "top" does not necessarily mean "best" *cough cough cough*

Sorry if I've tread on any Sims lover's toes, - I do apologise, it's just… personal taste, I suppose…

Run by Walmart or Target. The section of Sims titles is nearly as big as the other PC games combined and those boxes are selling. That can't be ignored, even if we deem the game to be total crap. Otherwise, WoW has no business on the list, either, and I'm not sure you're ready to go there.

Otherwise, WoW has no business on the list, either, and I'm not sure you're ready to go there.

I would be. :)

also very strange to see Star Wars TIE Fighter and not any of the X-universe or Wing commander or even Freelancer .

I was just about to write something about that when I saw your post. I agree, not having a true space-sim on the list doesn't seem right.

BG 2 instead of Torment? Crysis and CoD, but no Doom or Hexen? Fail. Oh well, at least they have the better of the two Diablo games on the list.

EDIT: Sorry, Doom is on the list. Lower than CoD and Crysis. :mad:

Not a bad list, but the lack of Planescape: Torment makes it completely irrelevant anyway.

Back
Top Bottom