Fallout 3 - Preview @ Kikizo

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Fallout 3 previews continue to trickle in with this latest coming from a site called Kikizo. As with the others, they've seen the same carefully scripted presentation, with Dogmeat as a central feature but this is generally an informative piece:
A larger question is which is the best way to play Fallout 3, and it's here that the definite answers end. The short response is that this is a game that has been built with many kinds of players in mind. Hines elaborates: "Nobody said you had to do quests or nobody said you have to do the main quest. Just do what you feel like doing. And the idea is, because it's a game that involves shooting, it really needs to play like a shooter. The combat needs to be on par with a good shooter."

There's more evidence as Hines takes us to the last, and most spectacular, area in the demo - the National Mall in Washington, D.C. It's here, among the crumbling remains of America's most famous buildings and museums, that we get a glimpse of the sheer scale of the project. Hines starts near the Lincoln Memorial, pointing out the battered Washington Monument on the side and the Capitol building in the distance. Covering the ground in between are trenches that snake between buildings, infested with two factions of enemies that are fighting each other. Many of the bigger buildings will be explorable, adding to the already impressive size of the game world.
More information.

And the idea is, because it's a game that involves shooting, it really needs to play like a shooter.

Yeah, because nobody could possibly want to play a game with shooting that has tactics on par with oh, say, Jagged Alliance 2. Oh, wait, I would.

I'll be buying the game anyway, but that comment really irks me. Shows you *exactly* what audience they are making this game for. Then again maybe that's just marketing babble to get all the cool kids to buy it and not be afraid it'll be something uncool like a rpg.

tactics!? Erm...like what are those? :rolleyes: The more of I see of the FO3 PR machine the less interested I become. I also detest press gushing about games - and i can see that starting already, ah my aching brain! Thank god for independents making games like AoD - I've been telling my mates about that, and they're keen too.

ZeniMax.

Why do people so easily forget Bethesda is not an independent company?

ZeniMax are the same company - them, Bethesda and Vir2L. As an entity that group is independent.

If you had to say they work for anyone it's Bruckhiemer films, Providence Equity, CBS, Ripken Baseball, MGM and Trump, but they're still independent.

ZeniMax are the same company - them, Bethesda and Vir2L. As an entity that group is independent.

Uh-huh. And as an entity EA is independent too. That doesn't make EA Sports an independent studio.

I think you're confused about the structure here. Bethesda is a wholly owned subsidiary. It fits every definition of non-independent that I can think of. ZeniMax Media is a company that holds full ownership of Bethesda, Vir2L, Mud Duck and ZeinMax Online. Since Bethesda is wholly owned by an entity that is not Bethesda, it is not factually an independent.

You could argue it's independent "in spirit" but that doesn't really work either. It's not like ZeniMax grew out of Bethesda, other than the tie with Altman and his shady dealings. ZeniMax purchased Bethesda, bullied out Christopher Weaver and made a studio that created Arena/Daggerfall into a studio that produces Oblivion.

Back
Top Bottom