Mistborn - Birthright announced

Garrett

Watchdog
Little Orbit, a developer for mobile devices, has announced an RPG based on Brandon Sanderson’s epic fantasy series Mistborn for PC, PS3 and XBOX360:
Little Orbit revealed today that they will be bringing bestselling author Brandon Sanderson’s epic fantasy series Mistborn to games late next year for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Windows PC and Mac.
Mistborn is set in a dark world of ash, mist, and gothic fantasy creatures, dominated by a seemingly immortal villain known as the Lord Ruler. It also follows individuals who use a powerful rule-based magic system known as Allomancy that allows them to temporarily enhance their physical and mental abilities by ingesting and “burning” flakes of metal. Those who have the ability to burn a single metal are called Mistings, and those who can burn all metals are known as Mistborn.
The upcoming RPG video game will feature an original storyline created by Sanderson, set several hundreds of years before the first Mistborn novel, and will focus on a unique combat system that puts Allomancy into the hands of gamers. Players will suit up as Fendin “Fiddle” Fathvell, an arrogant young nobleman who must quickly master his newfound Allomantic abilities before forces at work can destroy his entire family.
“I’m a huge fan of the series, and I cannot wait to get this into the hands of gamers,” said Matthew Scott, CEO of Little Orbit. “Between the distinctive magic system, the story twists Brandon has planned for the game, and the rich depth of character skills, we’re creating something very unique for players to enjoy.”
Sanderson is no stranger to video games. He recently completed story development on the Infinity Blade II video game including the accompanying Infinity Blade: Awakening novella. In between writing his popular Mistborn and Stormlight novels, he is also finishing work on the final novel in Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series. Sanderson has been labeled “one of the most popular new fantasy writers to emerge in the last ten years”.
"As an avid gamer, I'm extremely excited by this opportunity,” said Sanderson. “The chance to write the story for a Mistborn game while working with a team of talented developers is, quite literally, living a dream."
For more information visit www.mistborngame.com
Check out Brandon's Blog
More information.

Please, please, PLEASE don't suck! I love these books, but I can't take another heartache like that shitty Wheel of Time game from 2000.

Aye, the books are great, it would really be a shame if someone makes a game that just fails. The magic system alone should be worth the price, assuming it's all done right.

-Carn

Little Orbit, a developer for mobile devices, has announced an RPG based on Brandon Sanderson’s epic fantasy series Mistborn for PC, PS3 and XBOX360:
More information.

Dunno. I tried the first volume and got stuck around page 100. Couldn't get into it again on second try. Will try another one, but I think ASoIaF is more to my liking.

don't know the books, but a developer that made mobile stuff only so far and now aims for the big three platforms with the possibly hardest to code genre....*could* get difficult

Please, please, PLEASE don't suck! I love these books, but I can't take another heartache like that shitty Wheel of Time game from 2000.

Your heart will get broken. Not since Betrayal at Krondor have I been remotely pleased with a game adaptation of a series.

I don't care for his books but a new rpg intrigues me.

Was I the only one to read too quickly and think this was somehow another Birthright game after all these years?

Still, here's hoping this shapes up....gaming needs more mining from P&P and novels and not less considering the staggering amount out there that could be fashioned into very nice things.

Was I the only one to read too quickly and think this was somehow another Birthright game after all these years?

Still, here's hoping this shapes up….gaming needs more mining from P&P and novels and not less considering the staggering amount out there that could be fashioned into very nice things.

How so? Thought TSR canned the scenario ages ago, didn't they?

A guy can dream, plus I think the rights went to some outfit that is just sitting on them same as many other D&D/P&P settings.

I'm reading the third book right now.

I'm rather dubious about the game, myself. Pewter and tin should be fine but they are going to have to hit the other metals with massive simplification. I very much doubt they will mess with pushing heavy pieces of metal by balancing that push with another push to another piece of metal in the opposite direction. More likely they will just let you bounce around wherever you like and use coins like a machine gun.

But hope springs eternal… maybe we'll get lucky.

Where's my Malazan Book of the Fallen game, dangit?!

I could name a number of games with unsatisfying endings, if that helps (of course, said games won't leave hanging 101 loose plot threads; so maybe they won't help after all). Can you tell I'm bitter?

Never heard of the books - but they aren't making a very good case that they are making a decent game. Games are games, books are books.

I really enjoyed the Mistborn trilogy + The Alloy of Law, and I'm looking forward to reading more Mistborn novels in the future. However, it would take very skilled developers with quite a budget to make a proper Mistborn RPG, as the world, characters and abilities do not translate easily to games. It's rather complex stuff, so it is bound to be challenging.

If done right it could be fantastic, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Back
Top Bottom