Skyrim - "Hearthfire" DLC Rumours

Ah ok at 5 bucks this does make more sense. Also the design features they show off in the trailer do look pretty decent. Still not the expansion I was hoping for - but this does mean that if they do release a nice meaty expansion that they will have already satisfied the 2 xbox exlusives requirement and it can be a simultaneous release on other platforms.

For PC players I imagine this will be something we'll feel fine either taking it for 5 bucks or just using a mod instead if we want those features - and won't feel as though we're missing out on any substantial content if we don't want the new features. I do hope this means that they've satisfied the "first 2 dlc timed-exclusive" requirement of their deal with Microsoft so that a second expansion-dlc would not be an exclusive. If that's the case I'm glad they released this one second regardless of whether I decide to get it or not.

And it does look like there's probably a larger meatier addon coming and that this small one was being worked on by a second smaller team in the meantime. Official response from Gstaff on bethblog:
This is something we thought you guys would enjoy. Admittedly, it’s a smaller add-on (made by a smaller team). We’re still keen on doing “big and meaty” content, too

Last edited:
Yeah which is why I'm glad it isn't part of a larger content DLC as it seems something far more suited to particular tastes so best not to bundle it with more generally appreciable content. Also the fact that it appears to satisfy the last required timed exclusive for the MS deal is a nice plus.

For the first time in the Elder Scrolls universe, purchase land and build your own home from the ground up – from a simple one-room cottage to a sprawling compound complete with armory, alchemy laboratory, trophy room, and more!

Actually, it has been done before in Morrowind. You could build a house according to your faction. I loved the small village of the Hlaalu.
Later in Bloodmoon, you could build a whole town.
I always loved been able to build your own castle and specially a village, since I played Might and Magic 7.
The idea of Crossroad Keep of NWN 2 was good. Hopefully we can have something like that in a DLC (there are mods that do that)

Heh I am looking forward to this. I like the semi-SIM feel to it and I like making and building a home.

I put Skyrim on hold when TSW came out, and also have GW2, so going to wait till the Winter when I have more time indoors and then will pick up the various DLC and add to the game.

Actually, it has been done before in Morrowind. You could build a house according to your faction.

I think the degree of choice in the location for construction and the actual layout is what's different. But yeah in that regard its different by degrees rather than wholly unprecedented; that could be more or less significant than it sounds depending on the reality of the final product.

the FO3 and NV mod that allowed you to make your own base/fort and design it (where to put the base, walls, structures, etc) sounds oodles better than this. Can't recall the name tho and too lazy to look for it.

Re: bugs in vanilla TES. Seems to me the size of the unofficial patch(es) says quite something about it.

i will never buy any DLC for skyrim that doesnt extend the oficial story and advance something in the lore.

The reason is simple, i can get very very high quality questlines, locations, etc already from free mods.

Unless the DLC is realy amazing and definately advances the lore of skyrim in an oficial way, i won't touch it... its like paying money for a glorified mod.

You're missing out on a lot of great stuff bro. You'll be amazed at what the right mods can do for a game.

I hear you! Maybe I'll overcome my fears and install some mods in the future =D
I hear Skyrim has all sorts of sweet mods ;)

I too like to keep my mods to a minimum, especially content changes, and for the first playthrough (which is usually the ONLY playthrough). But for Skyrim, there is at least one must install
-SkyUI - the existing Skyrim UI is a piece of shit consolized cluster fuck (let's see if there are other dirty words I could use). SkyUI keeps the intent of the original UI, but makes it much less tedious to use.

Back
Top Bottom