Steam OS

LOL; they'd have to get their boot sectors signed by Microsoft, because all the new UEFI - based ROMs only should accept signed boots (so to say), which is what Microsoft made aan requirement for their Windows 8 - and most hardware manufacturers followed them.
Linux is only bootable on UEFI because MIcrosoft signed their boot.

Makes me wonder how long UEFI is allowing "custom boots".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface
I read in the wiki there's already a lawsuit in Europe on the anti-trust approach.

The restriction is only for PC sold with pre installed Windows. But the origin of the problem is this. I don't understand PC users that buy Windows PC and have no way to install again the OS, it's totally mad, but I'm not surprised from PC users that tend not think much.

They even invented the OEM keys license, lol, it's incredibly ridiculous. On base users accepting that are mad or are used to change their PC every year or every two year. They get what they worth by having allowed this.

For now even UEFI Mac can install Windows 8 so I think it shows that nothing is blocked if you install yourself the OS. But I'm not sure if Windows 8 is UEFI installed or not on those Mac, as Windows 8 allows also EFI and those Mac can manage EFI, it's possibly this mdoe which is used.

Well, it's an interesting development. But my bets are that it will bomb, not only because of the economy, but because console gamers won't want it, and neither will PC gamers. That leaves the very small linux and mac only crowds.

Steam announces steam controller to go with that OS, and any other steam game.
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

To be honest idea is good, probably not something I would prefer but potentially very good controller nonetheless.

Looks like valve is spreading and might become monopolistic giant that microsoft was once.

Um, why did you automatically assume that I was talking about you personally - my post was directly followed GreyWolf's link to the GameFAQ poll. Also, 2 posts up:

I didn't think you were talking to me directly, you did say PC gamers though and since I am one I assume that included me.

Can we be friends again now? ;)

I was never mad at ya. :) Just wanted to clarify my point.

So ya BBF's. ;)

I'd say not to worry too much about Steam OS "negatively impacting your 20+ year hobby." If you've been PC gaming that long, surely you've heard all these same apocalyptic warnings about consoles destroying PC gaming before and know they always come to naught? I'd say the biggest long-term threat to PC gaming is becoming overly reliant Windows, then MS locking everything down (as Arik points out above). So moving to Linux is very healthy for future of our hobby.

Yes, I've been through all the PC is dying crap over the years but steam is a big part of pc gaming so this does concern me. Not that pc gaming will die but that it will change in a way that is worse for me.

Oh, and the controller announcement today doesn't make me feel any better.

Sad thing is I've been saying for years that I wish someone would make a gaming OS and free us from MS. Be careful what you wish for I guess.

I see no use for this for me at all, tbh. I like my tv shows and football on my big tv, and my computer stuff on the pc. Never watched tv shows or movies on the computer and sure wouldn't play games on the tv, lol. I don't get the appeal but if it works for some people, more power to 'em.

-Carn

Couldn´t have said It better
(and that the TV is occupied by wife and kids plays a part as well...)

C

I'm playing ArmA pretty often and I cannot see that it can be played on a console a) given that its a directx and physx (Arma 3) game for windows and b) has (necessarily) billions of user configurable keyboard shortcuts.
A controller for the living room is uninteresting for me.

Well, it looks like they'll emulate windows in that case, to make all old games available also.... this is getting kind of intriguing, I wounder if they've signed a deal with wine and improved on that?

With the ability to get windows steam games to this steam os through streaming or othervice Im starting to get interested. The steam controller looks interesting too. This could be an option to buying ps4/new pc.

I actually just bumped into a reason to get Steam OS. I bought more memory over the weekend, bumping my PC up to 18 GB (assuming I can get the new memory to work with the old). Just one problem... Windows 7 Home Premium only allows up to 16 GB. Arg. I would either have to upgrade to Ultimate, which puts a lot of junk on my PC that I don't want at all, or go to Windows 8.

Or run under SteamOS.

Out of curiosity: What in blue blazes do you need 18 GB ram for?

A, valve has confirmed that, some games will run natively ( Probably emulated ? ) and rest will run by in home streaming? So for most of the games I would run it on my PC and stream it to the box?

Then this will not be much different form purchasing a HDMI cable for most games?

some games will run natively ( Probably emulated ? )
Why would that be? Valve has been porting their own games to Linux for about a year now and with the rest of the catalogue and the endless HumbleBunddle'\s and Kickstarters promising Linux support they'll have a very respectable catalogue on launch. Certainly much bigger than the next-gen consoles (afaik).

If they can get the network steaming to work flawlessly and without hassle this might actually have a chance of affecting the industry.

A, valve has confirmed that, some games will run natively ( Probably emulated ? ) and rest will run by in home streaming? So for most of the games I would run it on my PC and stream it to the box?

Then this will not be much different form purchasing a HDMI cable for most games?

not true. an HDMI cable would be much faster.

Have they said when the OS will be released?

I assume it's coming before the steam machines release?

Not too keen about this whole controller thing but I'd give the OS a try at least when released.

Out of curiosity: What in blue blazes do you need 18 GB ram for?
I've got 6 now and three channel memory so the choices were 6 or 12 gig. I really don't trust new memory to work with old memory. If I got 6 more and found out it wouldn't work with the old then I would still be stuck at 6. If I get 12 more and it turns out to be incompatible, I've still got an upgrade. If it is compatible, though, I'm at 18 and Windows decides I'm actually some kind of business that's trying to play it cheap with the OS.

(That's the justification, anyway.)

X:Rebirth requires 4GB but recommends 8GB. Six ain't enough!

They released a video of the controller. [link]

Looks fairly serviceable if not great.

Edit:My bad

Last edited:
Cornering the PC video games market looks profitable. Linux never made it relatively to games for lack of support to features like a directx equivalent, among other things.
So where is the money to support the developpment of such costly utility come from?
Already paying to get access to games that do not require an internet connection for their gameplay, next, paying to support a "free" OS.
Racket is a relative thing.

Back
Top Bottom