Risen Not buying a piranha bytes game again

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch
Activation failed

As many know I support trying to keep pirates out. But risen is not that old, and they already stopped supporting people who want to play it.

Upon trying to install it on my new computer, I got an error message on activating my copy, and searched the forums for other people with the same problem. They got this reply from the company "The activation server is down try again tomorrow", tried again… not working.

I have the same thing it is not working at all.

edit: It is now working, perhaps they read this post :D

Last edited:
I'm sure there's a reason the server was down, and I highly doubt it's permanent.
Name one legitimate reason for keeping someone locked out of a product they paid money for. Server maintenance is not a legitimate reason, unless it's game the proper functioning of which is dependent on servers (an MMO).

Stuff like this should never, ever happen, period. If the DRM model results in it, change the model.

Are you bored today GG? ;)

I'm sure there's a reason the server was down, and I highly doubt it's permanent.

Yes, I was also thinking it is not permanent… but according to forum posts on risen 1 supports forum it has been down for months. I would try a couple of more times, hoping this forum people are wrong.

I think the steam version is not affected.

Name one legitimate reason for keeping someone locked out of a product they paid money for. Server maintenance is not a legitimate reason, unless it's game the proper functioning of which is dependent on servers (an MMO).

Whether or not the reason is "legitimate" in your opinion is beside the point.

Yes, I was also thinking it is not permanent… but according to forum posts on risen 1 supports forum it has been down for months. I would try a couple of more times, hoping this forum people are wrong.

I seriously doubt that it's been down for months. If so, then it's one heck of a coincidence that it just happened to be back up when I decided to see if it would install for me just now. ;)

Attachments

• 20111228_105631.jpg
    20111228_105631.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 20111228_110305.jpg
    20111228_110305.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Well, it worked for me now too.... I'm really happy about that as I can end my boycott and buy risen 2 :)

Just do it as any self respecting player would do. Pirate the shit out of the game, then buy it if it's good. My copy of Risen is still wrapped in foil and I don't have to worry about all the DRM crap.

Well, I don't pirate games, if they don't have a demo I just don't buy them, unless a lot of people I trust recommend them.

Your suggestion usually don't work because people who think like that usually ends up playing through the game... and deciding it was not good enough to buy.

However they still got X something hours out of entertainment, without paying a thing... if it is so bad that it is not worth buying... why would they spend so many hours playing it ?

Me, I'm usually go for this route : Read everything, wait a year or even more, then buy a marketed-down budget-release version for cheap of the game - with very often the DRM removed. Or a version that comes with a magazine - usually there's the DRM removed, too.
I just have to wait. And since there are sooo many good games out there, it's easy to wait and play something different in the meantime … ;)

Besides, I have had a similar problem of severs nopt responding with my CE of DDO I hads bought last September. It seemingly tried to contact servers which weren't there anymore.

I kinda agree with Suchy.
If the game is broken even when bought legitimately. Go download a crack for it. You've tried every avenues and exhausted them all, it's time to go beyond the straight path.

Stealing is stealing, no matter how you sex it up. Need to bring back cutting off hands for theft, this whole stealing-by-internet has made outright thuggery far too easy and with little or no accountability, I don't see it changing anytime soon. I'd do without rather than stealing someone else's hard work.

-Carn

Luckily, you wont have to worry about this activation problem with Risen 2- it's using Steamworks.

Back
Top Bottom