Exp:Conq Kickstarter - Expeditions: Conquistador

Expeditions: Conquistador
Its a bit of a vile setting, however; Akin to playing a rapist in a kindergarten. Like some kinda genocidal, slave trading, gold thieving rapist game. Wipe out the humans who were actually making it work and steal all their gold, women and children for that "God" dickhead and your bitch Queen.

The inkas and aztecs and mayans and all the peaceful tribes all the way up to "Alaska" (and Australia!) didn't have the war technology because they really didn't have war. They would have appeared like children or even clever animals to the Spanish who came with forged metal weapons. Unfortunately, that's what a civilized society would be like!

If we had our shit sorted, as they did, we'd go on about our 'jobs' like a child who's just learned a new song on their recorder and wants to share it with everyone for the pure joy of it. He won't stop until everyone has the song! Gee, so annoying!

Instead we tell him to sell it. He should guard the song so it isn't counterfeited. Get a copyright on it or a patent! Sell the crap out of it!! Put it in a TV ad and make LOADS! So he does. He still feels joy, but its not coming from the same place.

Multiply this by the population and you have a sick society. Seems the "innocent" like "Bobs goodly christian wife" all need to retreat to the imaginary to keep this perspective. But we shouldn't have to be deluded to be wholesome!

Still, I'm no revolutionary. Maybe I'd like to retreat to bed with Yoko until the maniacs running the world all fuck off and die too. But they won't. And if I had the reach of a Beatles song coupled with a message like this I'd be shot too.

TL;DR
I had "7 cities of gold" on Amiga but it wasn't half the game Pirates! was. =)

The inkas and aztecs and mayans and all the peaceful tribes all the way up to "Alaska" (and Australia!) didn't have the war technology because they really didn't have war. They would have appeared like children or even clever animals to the Spanish who came with forged metal weapons. Unfortunately, that's what a civilized society would be like!

The Aztecs were a warrior tribe that conquered many tribes while expanding their empire. Their culture included human sacrifice and cannibalism, and cruelty towards those conquered was not uncommon. Hernán Cortés actually found many allies among the native tribes who were not happy with the Aztec rule and helped the Spanish to overthrow the Aztec empire.

Anyway, just forget what I wrote…..it is far better to think in black on white terms …. it makes pointing fingers easier.

The Aztecs were a warrior tribe that conquered many tribes while expanding their empire. Their culture included human sacrifice and cannibalism, and cruelty towards those conquered was not uncommon. Hernán Cortés actually found many allies among the native tribes who were not happy with the Aztec rule and helped the Spanish to overthrow the Aztec empire.

Anyway, just forget what I wrote…..it is far better to think in black on white terms …. it makes pointing fingers easier.

I was just going to say that and more. Not just the aztecs had wars. They all had border skirmishes and fought all the time. The Mayan structure was also similar to the Indian structure of castes. Equality my ass. The priest and warriors were the highest. That already tells you how peaceful they were and how different they were from Europeans. (i.e. not much at all)

Its a bit of a vile setting, however; Akin to playing a rapist in a kindergarten. Like some kinda genocidal, slave trading, gold thieving rapist game. Wipe out the humans who were actually making it work and steal all their gold, women and children for that "God" dickhead and your bitch Queen.

If we had our shit sorted, as they did, we'd go on about our 'jobs' like a child who's just learned a new song on their recorder and wants to share it with everyone for the pure joy of it. He won't stop until everyone has the song! Gee, so annoying!

Instead we tell him to sell it. He should guard the song so it isn't counterfeited. Get a copyright on it or a patent! Sell the crap out of it!! Put it in a TV ad and make LOADS! So he does. He still feels joy, but its not coming from the same place.

Multiply this by the population and you have a sick society. Seems the "innocent" like "Bobs goodly christian wife" all need to retreat to the imaginary to keep this perspective. But we shouldn't have to be deluded to be wholesome!

Still, I'm no revolutionary. Maybe I'd like to retreat to bed with Yoko until the maniacs running the world all fuck off and die too. But they won't. And if I had the reach of a Beatles song coupled with a message like this I'd be shot too.

TL;DR
I had "7 cities of gold" on Amiga but it wasn't half the game Pirates! was. =)

You don't know shit about history. Sure, it's easy to look at the conquest of aztecs now from behind the curtain of history and say, that it was unwarranted genocide etc. The truth is Aztecs were an expansionist empire (just like Spain and other superpowers of Europe), that was put together by conquest of other less fortunate tribes itself. They practiced among other things such "nice" activities as human sacrifice and cannibalism. Some of those tribes really hated the aztec empire, joined conquistadores and were in fact their main fighting force against aztecs. Despite the superior tech and cavalry (a few horses at most, they probably had a demoralizing effect more than anything else) of the spaniards, the conquest of the aztecs would have been impossible without the local allies.

the conquest of the aztecs would have been impossible without the local allies.

Yes, the important thing that everyone overlooked - why the hell did the Spanish invade them in the first place? It is non of their business to go across half of the globe to invade the Aztecs - or should I say 'liberate' them in today's terminology!

For the same reason everyone did at every time in history. For more power, more wealth, more land, …

You mean invading parasites. So no army or person coming from outside of their country has the slightest right to claim or justify killing them because of their way of life.

This discussion is funny for me. I actually didn't even give it any thought about the setting. All I cared about was that it was turn based, party, tactical with resource management. That's all I need, I don't care if the setting is in Timbuktu's sewers.

It´s also a roleplaying game, maybe players don´t have to always play assholes.

It´s also a roleplaying game, maybe players don´t have to always play assholes.

Exactly. In fact, the developers have confirmed, that you are not railroaded to play a bloodthirsty self-serving asshole, although you'll likely be surrounded by such characters.

The team released a video of an early combat encounter. I really like what i see so far. Graphics are really nice for an indie game and there are traps and barricades to make combat more interesting. Traps work both ways and barricades are destructible. It also seems, that ranged AI is quite eager to use hit and run tactics, which is a nice touch.

Back
Top Bottom