Dark Souls II - Wish List@ ArcadeSushi

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
ArcadeSushi has a new wishlist article with ten things they want in Dark Souls II. Now do you agree with them, or do want something different?

Like the original Dark Souls, prepare to cuddle up to your pillow and cry desperately at your own inadequacy. Dark Souls II is on its way to break your gaming spirit and trample all your hopes and dreams. We loved the original Dark Souls and Dark Souls II is shaping up to to be a polished and refined version. It may be masochistic, but we can’t help but wish for so much with this sequel. This is our Dark Souls II Wish List.
More information.

10. I like magic as it is, thanks, there's altogether more than 100 spells to use. Synergies could be approved, though.
9. Poor fella, he's gonna have to realize how they are nerfing backstabs and criticals for the benefit of more intense multiplayer battles. Those moves will get more kinds of animation, however.
8. No please, leave the lore as it is. On the one hand, players not interested in it can completely ignore it, while lore-a-holics can dig in deep. One thing I'd like, put a decent writer on it who does not leave in contradictory info, and please translate it well to English this time.
7. Whatever, just never ever make quick travel apart from bonfire warp.
6. There weren't enough traps for him??! Well, devs say they are gonna put ambushes and traps all over this one, so there ya go.
5. Not enough character options in DS1? You can change a zillion aspect of every single facet of your character's face! Granted, some of them look same-ish, but still. Geez. Most of the time you'll be wearing helmets anyways.
4. Yep, please, even though it never really bothered me that much.
3. No more tiny ledges? What r u, casul?
2. Larger bosses, huh? So that we can have the Castlevania/God of War-type QTE festival all over. NO THANKS!
1. There's armies of humanoid enemies already.

So did the author
a) play DS farther than the tutorial and
b) see any vids of DS2? They kinda answer all of these (that's where I get the above info from...)

I guess casual game journalists who cannot play such a hard games, still need to write about them when they notice how popular they are :D

Yea, kinda like my buddy who works at a large game magazine and has to write articles about whatever the hell his editor sees fit. At one time he had to play 30+ hours of Train Simulator. He hasn't been the same since. :)

Yeah, it's not really the most insightful list. But I can't really think of 10 wishes either.

I'll give it a shot, even though I know most of these won't be appearing.

☺ Maybe a levelcap for meeting at endgame to help keep the players within summoning range of eachother and force more careful consideration about your builds.
☻ Being able to play co-op the whole time so your noob friends don't ragequit when you say something like "just head up the waterwheel" or "I'll meet you at the other side of the catacombs" :p
☺ Server side character saving like an MMORPG to help with people cheating.
☻ Australian servers?
☺ I actually somewhat agree with his point #1. I like fighting the humanoids best. After S&O the second half of the game has hardly any. Tomb of Giants, Lost Izalith, New Londo Ruins, Dukes Archives, etc... There's just a couple of crystal soldiers and a few darkwraiths. By this time even a new player is taking those out in 1 or 2 hits and probably not thinking about farming darkwraths for chunks. And Lost Izalith was probably the worst area in the game. So boring. My favourite part of the game is the journey from Undead Burg down the long way to the swamp, which is mostly all humanoids.

While I agree with mostly everything you said Soulbane, I have to say that my impression from the previews and beta talk is that From has actually tried to cater a bit to people wanting to play pure mages.

Didn't they make casting a bit faster, added fire sorceries and that cool looking slashing "lightsword" spell ?

And though it seems Magic using in DS1 is more up my alley, I do not mind personally. I still am going to play the same sword wielding mages I always do in DS2 also…
When I get around to it that is… First time is definitely warrior for me (I am predictable like that :) )

P.S: Regarding humanoid enemies: Did anyone notice that it was exclusively humanoid enemies (much smarter faster and aggressive) in the beta footage ?

Dearth of humanoid enemies is not something that is going to be a problem it seems…

P.S 2: Besides, my wishlist would probably be:
1-10) Do not compromise exploration and level design to get better graphics and a more controlled experience. Provide an even more open ended world and non linear experience.
And Tanimura has practically promised as much. Lets see if he is as good as his talk, because the man sure knows how to make the right noises ;)

Didn't they make casting a bit faster, added fire sorceries and that cool looking slashing "lightsword" spell ?

The main changes to magic that I've noticed:
♥Dark magic is now Faith based. Dark/Light
♥Fire magic is now part of Sorcerer magic and pyromancers as we know them no longer exist! Fire/Magic both scale with Intelligence.
♥Casting spells now uses up Stamina, same as any other attack. :O

I'm not sure they made them innately faster, but casting speed might be influenced by an ability score in a similar way to movement being influenced by that new Agility score...

♥Fire magic is now part of Sorcerer magic and pyromancers as we know them no longer exist! Fire/Magic both scale with Intelligence.

Ah that makes sense, silly me. I kinda liked that quirky distinction of mages/pyromancers tbh so not very happy to see it go, but it will probably make mages more streamlined and easy to play I guess...

Agility and stamina seem to be the attributes to look out for in #2 apparently, affecting blocking rolling and spellcasting speed. Interesting...

P.S: speaking of things I am not super happy about: what on earth did possess them to change the parry effect to the enemy falling flat on his ass and waiting for you to stomp them. Looks quite a bit silly :)

@SirJames and JonNik

I dig your lists!
My greatest wish is normal co-op for similar reasons you explained. Make it extremely hard, gimp stats, whatever, just let us roam around and explore. With this timed co-op thing a lot of opportunities are missed. For instance when we did the "Barbarian brothers" playthrough (bare chested ugly men with no faith, no intellect and huge weapons).

The lack of Pyromancy (and the rehabilitation of fire magic) makes total sense since
no matter what ending, you kill the Bed of Chaos which spawned Pyromancy; I never understood how you could use Pyromancy after she was gone, but surely a gameplay thing

You both are right of course about magic. And humanoids, now that I think about it, they do make a better challenge and more fun combat, but maybe only because difficulty is not that well-balanced towards the third third of the game? I only felt the return of the good difficulty in the DLC when I first tackled it.

Back
Top Bottom