What are you reading?

I just finished Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself. I highly recommend it, especially if you like Gene Wolfe which means a little out there.

Now I'm reading a few Richard Morgan books, Woken Furies and The Steel Remains. I really didnt like "Remains" and that is carrying into "Furies". Morgan just annoys me because of the lame shock value writing. It was fresh in Altered Carbon but now it seems tired and rediculous. I just don't care about Kovacs anymore!

I finished 'Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince' ... interesting how many more threads there were in that book. She could really use an editor with a machete, but the ideas and relationships are nicely done.

Currently between Harry Potter 7 and Naipaul's 'House for Mr. Biswas' again.

I just spent the last couple of days totally engrossed in this webcomic that y'all have probably memorized, but I never even knew existed:

[ http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html ]

IMO it even beats DM Of The Rings, which was the best RPG-themed webcomic I had seen until now.

Yeah, it's good. I haven't read much of DM of the Rings, but I also like Darths & Droids, too.

Oh, and Mags, I just started reading The Terror. SO GOOD.

I liked DM of the Rings, but have found Darths & Droids to be generally useless and unfunny ... but I keep it on my RSS reads and check it out in the hope it will eventually do something.

I just finished "The End of Eternity" by Isaac Asimov. It was quite entertaining. Although I sometimes felt lost in the more technical-babel-parts, I think I got most of it. A good read. :)

Oh...and I just found out there is going to be made a movie out of the book.

I don't care much for Darths & Droids either. It just sort of... plods. We had funnier jokes in our PnP Star Wars campaign. At least they were funnier when you were *there.*

OOTS is brilliant; been reading it for years and we have linked to it in the past. I think I've read nearly everything Assimov wrote; he actually got better with age, IMO, unlike Heinlein who went downhill in his last years!!

Yeah, it's good. I haven't read much of DM of the Rings, but I also like Darths & Droids, too.

Oh, and Mags, I just started reading The Terror. SO GOOD.

Keep your light on at night, my child. ;) I actually went out into the 100 degree heat at one point and sat in the sun for awhile to get the book out of my brain.

Got The Stolen Throne in the mail today. If RPGWatch wants a review, I'd be happy to write one, once I finish it. If not, I'll just write up some short impressions here...

RPGWatch always wants reviews and articles and stuff!

... if I'm not mistaken. Don't have anything to do with the content, myself. ;)

I'd enjoy reading your take, Prime J. Slip a PM to Dhruin if you want him to consider publishing it. He doesn't always get around to cruising all the threads like those of us with serious internet addiction.

Done and done. Either way, you'll get my take.

I'm about a hundred pages in by now, and it's nowhere near as bad as I expected.

Finished it. Also finished my, uh, review, which actually turned out to be a 12000-character imaginary conversation between David Gaider and an unnamed editor from Tor (plus three paragraphs of conclusion). If Dhruin accepts it for publication, it'll be up whenever he feels up to it; if not, I'll torture y'all with it here.

Well I've finished reading the Elmnister series by Ed Greenwood.

Elminster's Daughter was the best of the set. It was quite an enjoyable action thrill ride at the end with a nice twist. As was usual for this series, there were too many shallowly developed characters, but the few main ones were done very well.

I definitely recommend Elminster's Daughter. But the rest vary from mostly mediocre to awful (Elminster in Hell).

Just finished 'At the Mountains of Madness'. It was my first time reading that particular H.P. Lovecraft story, and now I understand why it's so talked about. Definitely one of his best imo.

About to start reading 'The Shadow Out of Time', also by Lovecraft.

Yeah, that one rules -- it's definitely my favorite. I've also thought that it would make brilliant material for a movie, although you'd have to make some adjustments to fit what we know of Antarctic geography nowadays. For example, climate change could cause a glacier to slide, revealing the whole shebang...

The Shadow Out of Time isn't half bad either. Another one I really liked was The Color Out of Space. Gave me nightmares, that one...

Then this should be enough to make you want to cry.

Cancelled Cthulhu sequel...

Damn that would have been cool !

The Shadow Out of Time isn't half bad either. Another one I really liked was The Color Out of Space. Gave me nightmares, that one...

Strangely, and though I love most of his stuff, only "The rats in the walls" really got
me. Odd thing is I don't mind rats and I even find mice cute...

The Dunwich horror is probably my favorite btw...

I finished Harry Potter 7 the other day, and my kids had also re-read it. I hadn't touched it since I read it aloud to the family 2 years ago (a wonderful tradition!), and found the laggy part in the middle not as bad as I remembered, and the end battle still nicely done. The actual end (epilogue) I still found sappy and thin, especially since reading more meaty details from Rowling about the after-years that could easily have been put in a page or two.

I still think she needed a much better editor with a huge box of red pens starting with Book 4.

My kids were interesting in how they looked at things. We were chatting around the breakfast table, and they were getting the whole thing around wandlore that came up late in the book and were trying to make sense of it all in the context of what had happened throughout the series ... but couldn't. I said ... such is life. :)

Back
Top Bottom