Mass Effect - Heading to PC?

Ahhh gotta love scumsoft opps I meant Microsoft. Whether it's true or not I'm still not going to buy the 360. It would be nice if it came out for PC but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't.

You would do good to learn about the history of the PC. IBM were just as much a bunch of scumbags as Microsoft are today. The same goes for any number of other large game companies. I guess it's the way capitalism works, or something.

I don't think that there's any question about whether Mass Effect will come out for the PC. It's just a matter of when the exclusive agreement for the 360 runs out.

You would do good to learn about the history of the PC. IBM were just as much a bunch of scumbags as Microsoft are today. The same goes for any number of other large game companies. I guess it's the way capitalism works, or something.

IBM may have been bad, but they never started up a competing platform and actively worked to destroy PC gaming like Microsoft is doing right now.

"One XBOX to rule them all ..."

The release date seem to be set. Its available on 04.05.2008. Price 45 euros. Pretty cheap when compared to what it cost on xbox360. It still costs like 15€ more (30% more expensive). :)

Actually, I believe MS intends to merge PC and XBox gaming at some point in some futuristic solution. How, I don't know, but I seem to recall reading an interview with a fellow from MS a while ago on the subject.

Actually, I believe MS intends to merge PC and XBox gaming at some point in some futuristic solution. How, I don't know, but I seem to recall reading an interview with a fellow from MS a while ago on the subject.

That would be perfectly feasible. You'd need to put the XBox chips on a PCI-E card -- sort of like a glorified graphics card -- and provide driver support in the OS, which would handle stuff like disk I/O, networking, and so on.

If the price was right, I'd buy.

Yeah, that way they could charge you for all your multi-player needs (on crappy xbox-live). So I wouldn't buy.

Actually, Xbox Live is anything but crappy. The only thing that's crappy about it is that you have to pay for it. Okay, there have been problems around the end (and the start) of the year, but I think they mostly worked out those problems. Apart from that, the integration is pretty good.

Of course I never meant that IBM tried to destroy PC gaming. Why would they? They introduced the PC, after all. But they were one of the biggest dirty players in the history of business as far as destroying competition went, anyhow.

None of it matters, because I don't think Microsoft would benefit much from destroying PC gaming. Their platform rules the PC gaming market. It's in their best interest to keep PC gaming alive. Apparently, their Games For Windows initiative was supposed to accomplish that, but I don't think that turned out so well.

I don't think Xbox Live really compares to the old server apps we used to get for multi-player gaming. I'm not an anti M$ nut or anything but if Live was integrated into the every day PC you're just looking at another bill for basic multi-player function. Like you'd have to pay to play with your friends in NWN and games of that ilk. I have Gears of War for instance a fairly straight-forward online death match game and Live isn't as nice as the servers we used to get for games like Quake and Jedi Knight games AND you have to pay for it if you want to choose who you want to play against - sorry but that is crappy.

Optimized for the PC, Mass Effect for the PC incorporates the following features:

* Optimized controls designed specifically for the PC.
* High resolution visuals – Mass Effect for the PC features highly detailed textures, characters and environments.
* Fully customizable controls – PC gamers can re-map the control scheme any way they like.
* Run & Gun Control – Players can assign biotic powers or skills to ‘hot keys’ allowing them to play Mass Effect with a heavier focus on action.
* New decryption mini-game.
* New inventory screen GUI and functionality – The enhanced inventory system makes it easier for players to equip and modify their weapons and armor.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080212/20080212005536.html?.v=1

And here I've been quoting Patrick all over the place about how a standard Microsoft exclusive deal lasts for 18 months and then something like this happens ... the world is a confusing place :help:

I suspect this is at least partly as a result of the EA takeover - the Microsoft exclusivity is no longer the case for Mass Effect, and while Microsoft continued to publish the Xbox version, EA have been quick to ensure they can profit from their new acquisition wit ha PC release.

Did they ever claim its NOT going to be released for PC when asked? Im just wondering if PC users are been lied to at face value just so theyd buy "the box". :D

Anyways five months to release sounds quick for optimized conversion plus extra features. Im sure they started developing it long before xbox version was released.

Yeah, EA actually does a pretty good job of supporting the PC. Better than most publishers, methinks. I still figured that they had to honor whatever exclusivity agreement there is though.

Actually, Bioware did make a pretty good port of Jade Empire SE for the PC - probably because they licensed the work out to a company that specializes in such things...

Anyway, I was also very surprised that the PC version did come as quickly as it did. I thought it would be at least a year after the release for Xbox 360..

Maybe the good doctors selling the company to EA wasn't such a bad deal afterall??
This should ensure that Dragon Age is certain to be destined for the PC as well as perhaps for the PS3 and the Xbox 360 as well...

Maybe EA has muscled (= as in paid a lot of money to) Microsoft to only make the exclusive deal 6 months instead of the usual 18 months?

It mentions this in the official press release I just posted:
Frank Gibeau, President of EA’s Games Label added, “EA has struck an agreement with Microsoft to handle future publishing for Mass Effect. We are looking forward to releasing Mass Effect on the PC this Spring and brand new titles in the future.”
so it sounds like you may be right, aries.

Back
Top Bottom