The "I Just Bought" thread

I just bought a new cellphone (as my last one got fried due to heavy dendrite formations in the lithium-ion battery, which actually nearly started a fire, and I ended up hurting both my hands when trying to remove the battery... I hate dendrites. The SIM-card survived though)

My new cellphone is a Sony Ericsson Cedar J108i. A budget phone, costing no more than 35€, but it will do for now. It feels a bit plasticy, but the buttons are nice, with a good level of resistance, and the menus are easy to navigate. The main reason I opted for that phone was its battery life though, review sites claims that I could talk between 10-12h and still have some juice left in the battery.

Not bought, but given at the Games Com : 2 more Rabbits ... ;)

(I'm collecting them a little bit, 1-2 in about 3 months ... ;) )

I just bought me a massive (~30kg) 21" Sony trinitron CRT monitor for peanuts from a computer store down the street which is filled with retro bits stacked in dusty piles.

An LCD can't be beat for day to day stuff but I still prefer the warmth and non-widescreen feel of a CRT for games, and this thing is just beautiful @ 2048x1536 / 85hz.

It's 10 years old though so I don't know how long it will last...

Just bought Mana Khemia 2 from ebay.com, and Xenoblade, which came just today. :D 2 great RPGs for me. :D

It was a pain in the butt to find someone of those Americans, who was willing to ship this Mana Khemia 2 to Greece and of course of the Deluxe Edition ones.

A logitech extreme 3d pro joystick (silly name...). A typical middle of the road joystick, one that had got rather good reviews, and seemed like the best in its price class.

A logitech extreme 3d pro joystick (silly name…). A typical middle of the road joystick, one that had got rather good reviews, and seemed like the best in its price class.

I have one.. it's a solid joystick, or at least it seems that way to me. The truth is, I rarely use joysticks for anything. I bought that one just to play the X series, but I've only played a tiny bit of BtF and X2 so far.

Pathfinder. Here we go....

PZO1110_180.jpeg

I'm interested in your view on it, if you want to share it.

I have one.. it's a solid joystick, or at least it seems that way to me. The truth is, I rarely use joysticks for anything. I bought that one just to play the X series, but I've only played a tiny bit of BtF and X2 so far.

Aye, for its price tag, it feels sturdy and overall quite good. It has nothing on the 100-150€ joysticks, of course, but one can't expect that from a 35€ joystick.

I have not had a joystick since ~02 (i think), so it is nice to be able to tap into a genre of games that has remained unplayed (by me) for so long. Plenty of fresh "new" games to play.

I just bought Drakensang: River of Time from Ebay for about $20 AU. Free postage was a nice bonus. Considering I only paid $6 for the original game, this is still more than a bargain as I know I'll get some solid hours of entertainment out of it.

Alrik -
on Pathfinder:
In short, so far i like it. Last two weekends, we've played. I had the first weekend post 3.5 conversion be sort of a getting familiar session, w/ a town faire similar to beginning of nwn2 w/ various events the players could participate in and better check their chars out. One event was a sort of "ninja event", where the players could compete against a rogue over an obstacle course across the town skyline with jumps, climbs, tightrope walk, etc. Balance and jump are now rolled into acrobatics. There was a sumo-like unarmed combat event in a ring, wherein the first to be knocked out or pushed out of the ring lost the match. That's where the CMD/CMB thing was tried out.

CMB/CMD replaces the myriad of rolls and combat chapter lookups when one wants to make a combat maneuver such as tripping, grappling, etc. Decide if there's an attack of opportunity, then roll your 'combat maneuver bonus' against the opponents 'combat maneuver defense'. In reality, it's a modified attack roll using a different size mod, but it gets the job done. the classes, skills, feats, everything's undergone a good tweaking.

This post will ramble on forever, and I'd rather be gaming when I'd spend quite a while typing a really long post. I'll just refer you to this link instead: rough outline of pathfinder changes from 3.5

Also, here's the SRD w/ basically all the rules if you want to check it out in more depth.

I do feel it's for the better, if youre into d20/3.5 style RPG. The game seems a little more streamlined and flashier, but not excessively. It's still rules-crunchy as ever, but so far it's been fun for the players, and as a DM it's not that hard to convert over. Actually things are a little easier on me now here and there..

And it has to be said that Paizo's business model is so worthy of praise when it comes to the accessibility of their products, and just being "for the players" in a way that WoTC just shamefully isnt. Look at both sites, and you'll see what I mean.

First and foremost, Paizo's products are ALL available on PDF. Try and just simply get the Players Handbook from WotC on pdf from their site. Good luck w/ that. I went and bought the pathfinder core book in hardcover from a local store anyway (which might i add is PHB & DMs guide in one), but i still want to have it on PDF as well so I went and bought it off the site in PDF as well for ten bucks. No hunting around the internet, no shady trades between friends because they simply want to have the PDF on their laptop. Need a module? Go to Paizo's site and theyre all up there for DL. Sure they charge for them (there are free ones as well), yes it's a business, but it's all about accessibility and being there for the players of their games.

Theyre innovative too, w/ things like their awesome critical hit deck and critical fumble deck which we literally use every game and are fun as hell.

At first I wasnt really interested when I heard about Pathfinder, but after the fail that is 4E and quite frankly kinda bored w/ 3.5, I figured it was time to see what all the fuss was about. I'm glad, it appears to be a quality product and I'm impressed w/ how Paizo in general supports it.

Last edited:
Thank you for your informative overview. I rell appreciate it, since this is the first neutral overview I get [from someone outside of the forums of the German distributor ;) ].

The German distributor did a few "web expansions" for their products, which can be found here (although in German language) :
http://www.pathfinder-rpg.de/index.php?id=9
They especially id something called "Expansions for the Mwangi valley", they are there under the headline "Web-Erweiterungen zum Mwangibecken", plus there are maps as well ("Karte" = "Map").

Was warmly surprised to pick up Two Worlds 2 on ebay for about $20 AU.

3 books:
Gravity's rainbow (Thomas Pynchon)
David Copperfield (Charles Dickens)
Den Hemliga Kocken (Mats-Eric Nilsson)

Two of the books should at least be familiar to most, the last book (Den Hemliga Kocken) is a book about food additives and the processes that goes into making common food that can be found in Sweden (be it pre-made food, spices, bread, ketchup, cider or any of the many other kinds of food or things you put in your food).

Shadowrun 1st edition, hard cover, for £2 (I only bought this because I want to see how the game has evolved over the years, from what I've heard 1st edition shadowrun was never all that good).

The wife have for some reason become increasingly annoyed by the longish network cable stretched from my den on the ground floor to the living room on the 1st. Even if the cable was mostly fixed to the ceiling.

Enter two D-Link Powerline network adapters. (DHP-306A). Plug into power outlets, connect router and upstairs pc, click security buttons and voila, we're connected. And wife's happy.

says pibbur who even remembered to dismount said longish cable.

I couldn't resist these tempting sales so today I bought the Gothic Complete Collection on Gamersgate, and the whole D&D sale bundle on GOG.

I've never played any of the Gothics and oddly have never gotten around to playing many of the Infinity Engine titles (aside from BG 1). So, the mountain of games in my backlog increases manyfold. I'm well-stocked for gaming in the fall / winter months now!

Now to decide what to play first... hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom