Kickstarter - Xenonauts Campaign Closes

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Xenonaut's Kickstarter campaign has ended on $154k (of $50k goal) - a fantastic result. This update outlines the stretch goals that were achieved:
  • Dedicated level designer!
  • Indoor terror missions!
  • Soviet Town tileset!
  • Tileset-specific AI soldiers!
  • Female soldiers!
  • Mac / Linux port on release!
  • The new UI design will be rolled out across the whole game (ideally with the background art updating as you research new technology)!
  • Soldier combat medal system!
  • Battlefield suppression mechanics!
  • Animated battlefield tiles!
  • A DRM-free version of the game on release!
  • 80 extra soldier portaits!
More information.

I've read the article, and I know how you feel. It's IGN at its best.
Maybe the Fireaxis version won't turn out to be too bad. ;)

Anyway I'm glad to know that the Kickstarter's campaign ran well. The game will be better now.

Don't get me wrong Firaxis and Sid Meier have lot of credibility and I find nothing wrong with game compatible with consoles.I just fear that Xcom isn't console compatible and that it might turn out too much dumbed down like console version of civilization.Also I think Xcom isn't casual friendly game and feel that sequel should be more complex which doesn't concept that doesn't suit mass market.

Also out newer sequels I find UFO:Afterlight to be best not good as original but it also have some unique taste to it(real time battles and fact that battles are lot easier where only things that bothered me in UFO:Afterlight)

I hope 150K is enough for them to set up their own studio, like they wanted.

I hope 150K is enough for them to set up their own studio, like they wanted.

I believe it will be. They have been making the game for a couple of years and it's already near beta stage. The extra money will allow them to finish and expand the game with some paid talent.

I remember the game mentioned two years ago in pcgamer and thought it would never be finished.

This is the IGN quote from the end article about Firaxis version of Xcom.
What I do know is that Firaxis is targeting a new audience with XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and it's working because all I want to do is play more, and this is from a guy who couldn't even tell you what this game was about a week ago.
You heard him there targeting a new audience old gamers need not apply. Love that little jab IGN.:) I don't care I'm still interested in the game.

Last edited:
Anyone remember Spellcross game ? Damn that was a great game. This looks extremely similar.

I've read the article, and I know how you feel. It's IGN at its best.

There are bad, uninformed gaming websites out there… in fact, MOST are… but IGN is the worst. They have terrible, inexperience writers who have a very thin filter for what constitutes a "game." To be a professional game reviewer, at one of the most viewed gaming websites in the world, and know nothing about X-COM, is like being a professional film critic who has never watched "The Seventh Seal" or "Citizen Kane." You simply cannot do the job properly if you don't understand the medium's history… Entertainment is created from building blocks… and the "I only play Japanese console games" argument doesn't work, as many Japanese developers have stated that X-COM was a touchstone for their squad-based, strategy RPGs.

At least we have sites like RPGWatch…

I like how he dogs the franchise even though the website listed it as the #1 PC of all time. Its good to see the commentators on that article really giving it to him.

The biggest mistake that has always plagued the XCom franchise is updating it for the modern gamer "because games have changed". They've done this repeatedly and its repeatedly failed. There's a quote, "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result each time."

The only good version ever made (debatable) was UFO:ET which deets and I talked extensively about. It succeeded as a game because it went back to its core. The criticism it got was it was so much like the first two that XCom players were thrown off when it varied - such as the economy.

Why are they bringing it out in October at the same time as Firaxis XCOM? I'm not sure putting both games head to head will do Xenonauts any favours.

Daniel.

Fourth Quarter (Thanksgiving/Christmas) sales are always best. Remember, the head of Vista got fired for having to delay it till Jan/Feb.

Why are they bringing it out in October at the same time as Firaxis XCOM? I'm not sure putting both games head to head will do Xenonauts any favours.

Daniel.

I believe they already had their launch window in mind and decided not to change it once Firaxis came on the scene. I recall a developer's blog that said they seriously considered changing their release date but decided.against it, choosing instead to use the inevitable hype Firaxis would get as publicity for themseeves. They believe their game differs in enough ways and stays truer to the Xcom experience that they will have a market regardless of Firaxis…and possibly an expanded one because of them.

Well good luck to them, the game has funded so it's a success either way. :)

Daniel.

True enough. I wish them luck, too. I already enjoy playing the current build.

More cowbells! :p The number of exclamation points reminds me of a certain Seinfeld episode.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom