Cube World - Alpha Build Available

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Cube World now has an alpha version that you can pay money to play. but the site has ran into DoS attacks on a regular basis. Someone tell Joxer to stop it.

In the meantime you can try this mini demo.

Q: Where can I download my game?

A: You can download it in your My Games section. If it doesn't show up immediately after buying please wait a while and refresh.

Q: I can't login in with the launcher.

A: Make sure your Picroma account emails and password don't have a '+' (you change them in your picroma account settings). We're currently working on a solution for this.

Q: The game isn't working anymore. It exits on the starting screen.

A: Please delete cursor.plx and restart the launcher.

Q: I can't reset the resolution.

A: Stop the game, delete options.cfg and restart the game. This will reset the resolution.

Q: What's the server port for multiplayer?

A: Currently it's set 12345 and can't be changed yet.

Q: The game is slow on my computer/there is so much blue fog in the game.

A:Some computers have an Intel/on-board video card and a dedicated video card. To make sure your computer can run Cube World smoothly, right-click the Demo/Game and hover over "Run with graphics processor" if it is there to make sure you run it off a dedicated GPU if you have one.Try fullscreen mode, disable antialiasing and lower render distance in the options menu.

Q: I get the error: Could not initialize XAudio2.

A: Try to run the game as administrator.
More information.

Eh? I didn't have anything with that DDoS attack.
Even if I could launch one, why would I attack an indie developer?

Eh? I didn't have anything with that DDoS attack.
Even if I could launch one, why would I attack an indie developer?
Just a little joke.:) I remember you saying you wouldn't buy it that's all because it was an MMO. Multiple times actually.

If it bothers you I can take it down.

Cool, I've been wanting to try this ever since I found out about it.

Their shop is still down at the moment. Does anyone know what the price is for the Alpha, and does buying the Alpha get you the finished version when it's released?

Yup, it will actually be cheaper to get it now since all updates are free and the game will get more expensive over time.

It's a lot of fun but the world is still a little bare. No quests implemented so the only way to level up is by killing mobs so it's a bit of a grind. And at level one, it can be difficult to find manageable mobs. I was assaulted by a squirrel while gazing at a tree and had to run my ass off. Modeled after real life obviously :p

It would be nice to allow crafting to give you experience. Maybe a fixed value like +1 or +2 so it helps at low levels but won't be abused at higher levels.

Just a little joke.:) I remember you saying you wouldn't buy it that's all because it was an MMO. Multiple times actually.

If it bothers you I can take it down.

Don't take it down. I was sleepy. ;)

Yup, it will actually be cheaper to get it now since all updates are free and the game will get more expensive over time.
Well, that's their intention, but frankly I doubt it. Starting at $20 is pretty damned steep. Xenonauts intended to follow this model, but their alpha buy-in was $25. Further down the road they realized their ultimate published price was going to be way too high.

I don't think $20 is too steep. I'm guessing the release version will probably only be $10 more.

My kids bought this when it became available. They have been having a blast with it, but to me there doesn't seem much to do yet except explore the world and get familiar with the game. There isn't a real questing system yet, the best you will get is go there and kill that, but it does seem to have a lot of potential once it gets more fleshed out.

There isn't much in the way of content (which I expected), but seeing the current framework gives me confidence. It is going to take a while to develop.

Well, that's their intention, but frankly I doubt it. Starting at $20 is pretty damned steep. Xenonauts intended to follow this model, but their alpha buy-in was $25. Further down the road they realized their ultimate published price was going to be way too high.

Hmmm, I think $20 is very cheap right now but have no idea what the final retail price will be. If what JDR13's guess is accurate and it will be an additional $10, it's a great deal. Hell if the final product is $50, I'd still think it was worth it.

I find it hard to put a value to an enjoyable RPG experience in single player + multiplayer (private or online) in an infinite world. And the list of planned features ensures Cube World will last for a long long time.

Back
Top Bottom