Daggerfall - Released for Free

I still have my original copies of both Arena and DF and I finished both of them. I've replayed DF several times, but have never managed to actually finish it for a second time!!

Can anyone confirm that the DAG231.EXE fix can lead to a succesfull completion of the game as i am tempted to give it one more try?

I have DF installed from an original CD, patched with dag213.exe, and have played it through to completion several times, with several versions of DosBox between 0.63 and 0.70.

It does tend to crash occasionally, usually at inconvenient times like clicking on the exit from a dungeon, and the occasional falling into the void, but saving frequently is always a good idea. E.g., you're far more likely to be reloading due to an ancient vampire machine gunning shock spells in your face than due to a crash.

I disagree though, I believe it has been abandonware for some time now, and I specifically remember it being on HotU in the past. Perhaps at some point Bethesda decided to step in and declare it not abandonware.

Yes that's exactly what they did. There was a stickied post on the TES boards about that for years, and they asked all abandonware sites to take it down (which at least the decent ones did).

Just got done playing it for a little while, first time in at least 7 or 8 years. This game has not aged well. :)

Some games are better left as memories:D In general I find that early 3D graphics and early real time gameplay are factors that make a game age less gracefully, and Daggerfall has both. I also know the game too well to see beyond the quirks, so I'm happy keeping the box on a display shelf for the rest of my life....

If you want to play an oldschool game with random missions in a huge world then Darklands is a much better choice from roughly that period. While the combat is ugly I find that it hasnt aged quite as badly as DF, and the pause to issue orders combat system was way ahead of its time.

What? The website has not changed design for many, many years (It's pre-Oblivion and pre-10th Anniversary). Arena is still available for download on the same page as Daggerfall.

EDIT: I guess you confused the Bethesda Blog with the Elder Scrolls website?

Ah, thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. Yes, indeed, it does seem to be the blog I had linked to instead, which was sitting in my bookmarks, and from which the Bethesda newsletters also seem to be sent from, since they also link back to the blog.

Both the adresses have the same black square in front of them when you bookmark them, so i suppose that is where my mistake came in.

My preferred TES sites are UESP and TESNexus, so I don't visit the Bethesda sites that often.

Glot, theyd have to pay (overtime!) me to play this game! Its just awful, ive tried playing it a few times and it always ends up the same - me in a random sprawling ugly labyrinth looking for a random item wondering wth im doing wasting my time

Just hasnt aged well, imo tes reached its zenith w/ morrowind, that will always be my fond memories of tes

I still have my original copies of both Arena and DF and I finished both of them. I've replayed DF several times, but have never managed to actually finish it for a second time!!

Corwin, I know you pretty well I think in terms of what you like to play and it's somewhat similar to me. My question is How in the world did you figure out what was going on, what you had to do and where to do it? I remember trying to get into the mages guild but it was locked or something. So I think I busted in and started talking to everyone in there like nothing happened. After that I only remember bits and pieces like how empty it felt and dissapointed after I visited with one of the princes or kings (don't remember which) and had nothing to do there. I talked to a few people and that was it.

How did you get the game going so you felt like you were doing something other than just wandering around aimlessly? is what I'm really asking.

Thanks for the link ... I'm going to see if I can get this going on DOSBox under OS X

I got it running under osx. I encountered a couple of problems in the instructions.

First the sound detected wasn't SB16
Second I had to launch the game differently: "dagger" only yielded an error about not having the Daggerfall cdrom inserted.

To get past the second problem I use "fall z.cfg" to launch the game instead.
However, this requires a change to Z.CFG. Replace the line "pathcd d:\dagger\arena2\" with "pathcd c:\dagger\arena2\"

Corwin, I know you pretty well I think in terms of what you like to play and it's somewhat similar to me. My question is How in the world did you figure out what was going on, what you had to do and where to do it? I remember trying to get into the mages guild but it was locked or something. So I think I busted in and started talking to everyone in there like nothing happened. After that I only remember bits and pieces like how empty it felt and dissapointed after I visited with one of the princes or kings (don't remember which) and had nothing to do there. I talked to a few people and that was it.

How did you get the game going so you felt like you were doing something other than just wandering around aimlessly? is what I'm really asking.

The courts were certainly dull, but what bugged me more was a total lack of royalty to serve outside the three main kingdoms:(

The game feels a bit empty, but I didnt have much of a problem knowing what to do once I realised the layout of all guilds (one questgiver plus a bunch of utilities/trainers guys), only available during office hours. Unfortunately understanding of the structure of the game makes it more obvious how empty it is as well:p You also get letters from the various royalty (triggered by reaching a certain level and finishing quests for other royalty IIRC?) that tells you where to go in the main quest. These letters are only announced with a discrete text message as you enter a city (a page handed blahblah to you) and easy to miss, so one has to check out the inventory for them at times.

I still ended up using a walkthrough due to the humungous nature of the dungeons. It helps to know where to go in the main quest dungeons....

I did like how many of the quests, including the main questline, allowed you to pick sides though.:) Help the traitor or turn him over to the queen? Take the runaway girl to her father or her lover? That kind of stuff is nice even if it was inconsequential as the game randomly repeated the quests. Killing the (named) high ranking traitor a second time certainly felt like an odd quest:p

I got it running under osx. I encountered a couple of problems in the instructions.

First the sound detected wasn't SB16
Second I had to launch the game differently: "dagger" only yielded an error about not having the Daggerfall cdrom inserted.

To get past the second problem I use "fall z.cfg" to launch the game instead.
However, this requires a change to Z.CFG. Replace the line "pathcd d:\dagger\arena2\" with "pathcd c:\dagger\arena2\"

Cool - thanks for that!

It's a nice game. When you begin to feel you've seen everything, you can e.g. discover that some dungeons host witch covens which you may be able to persuade a powerful creature for you, leading to additional quests... the game, while certainly gives the feeling of emptiness after a while, is full of small details.

So this means that market value of that original boxed copy of Daggerfall I just posted on eBay has dropped in value doesn't it? THOSE BASTARDS!!!!

And yes, I am kidding.

And yes, I am kidding.

Many folks were less amused when Sony released FF VII for the PSN / PSP a month or so ago and their old games plummeted in value ...

Many folks were less amused when Sony released FF VII for the PSN / PSP a month or so ago and their old games plummeted in value ...

Meh. I'm not against hoarding old games in hopes of selling them at a nice price later, but it's speculation, and that means you don't really have much cause to complain if you lose out on it. It's like investing, in that sense, unless you get lied to and lose money because of that, it's just a risk of the trade.

So this means that market value of that original boxed copy of Daggerfall I just posted on eBay has dropped in value doesn't it? THOSE BASTARDS!!!!

And yes, I am kidding.

I wonder how many people shot themselves when Square released Final Fantasy Tactics under the "Greatest hits" brand or again when war of the lions was released.

Back
Top Bottom