Morrowind - Overhaul Project Interview @ RPG Italia

Dhruin

SasqWatch
RPG Italia let us know about interview they have with the mod team behind the Morrowind Overhaul project, which has an international release due soon. Morrowind Overhaul is a compilation project to enhance the graphics in Morrowind, similar in concept to Morrowind 2011 except this project has full permission from the original authors and has been around for a few years. A gameplay overhaul is due soon, too. Here's a sample:
From a graphical point of view, do you believe Morrowind Overhaul can be compared to Oblivion? The minimum requirements for Morrowind Overhaul are less than those required by Oblivion?
Yoae: Well, my dear, I’d say that a direct comparison is very difficult to do. Until recently the answer would be Oblivion, but Morrowind has recently recovered from two features of which you really missed: the bump mapping and dynamic shadowing. The time now is immature, because there are many characteristics which aren’t well developed, but the modders have never failed us. If we want to compare the two games on a stylistic level, Morrowind wins. I mean, there are houses built into giant mushrooms! And there are Guars! Concern to the requirements, I would say that the two games, if modded at most, have the same requisites: today with a mid – range computer you can enjoy all the improvements being noticed with the settings of MGE. For example: my PC is equipped with a 275 GTX and a E8400 and never has had problems running our Morrowind Overhaul.
Can you explain to RPG Italia’s users the content of the package “Game Experience”, which it’s going to be published soon?
Kingpix: The simplest definition of the package “Game Experience” is that this group of mods edits everything that isn’t relating to graphic or sound. More specifically, the second package is going to set all the quests, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the opportunities, new locations, the growth of some characters and the like. The changes are many, very different and in them you can find the best quality available! Morrowind will become an “infinite” game, because you will never finish everything the game offers, because there are lots of new adventures that can be complete in different ways, having various ends. Finally you’ll have more realism in the character growth, balancing every aspect of the game; you’ll have news relative to the combat system, you’ll have news relative to the families and the vitality of the cities… therefore, there are a lot of irons in the fire! We can assess the duration of the game with the package “Game Experience” with all the new adventures and small quests about 2000 hours and with 2000 hours to complete everything is practically impossible finish the game. We’ll try to keep everything balanced, homogeneous for the game world and perfectly integrated in the original atmosphere. Oh, I think that this “Game Experience” is a very big smasher!! Can I say that?!
More information.

It's great that people devote their time to such causes as this one, but I really hope a native English speaker reads through the additional quests.

I think this is a compilation mod so is primarily going to be made up of mods made in English by primarily English speaking modders so won't have issues to do with non-native English speakers.

It's a graphical overhaul compilation of different mods, so if you're expecting fully voiced quests i think you're kind of looking in the wrong place?

There has never been a mod released that makes Morrowind fully voiced and that would take so much time and would be so huge that by the time it would be released computers wouldn't be the same as they are today. There will probably be some extra voice acting though since there have been several mods that add voices to certain npcs and some quest mods have voices also.

EDIT: There are 2 mods one that does the graphics and sounds and another that changes gameplay and adds quests. The article says there will be 2000 hours of content in the gameplay and quests mod.

Just give me the original game with tons of AA and AF and I am happy. Call me a loony tune but I like the original look of the game and messing with that is kind of... I don't know... like re-editing a movie to make it more modern or something.

The exception to this for me is getting games to run in modern resolutions and in widescreen, using stuff like GZDoom or eDuke32. That stuff is good.

I looked at the preview video on U-Tube. It looks great. A little dark; but looking good. 2000 hours of gameplay? I played and re-played the game so many times with the different mods that I have lost track of hours. A complete revamp sounds pretty good. I would expect it requires a clean install without any mods now or ever

I looked at the preview video on U-Tube. It looks great. A little dark; but looking good. 2000 hours of gameplay? I played and re-played the game so many times with the different mods that I have lost track of hours. A complete revamp sounds pretty good. I would expect it requires a clean install without any mods now or ever

I tried the testing-beta version.
I can assure that the video on youtube is so much darker than the original looking of this mod.
This is totally AWESOME!
Can't wait for the final version :D

If you record Morrowind with FRAPS it gets dark and ugly on youtube (it's a problem with the gamma)..

2 screens i just took for comparison.. sometimes i forget how MW used to look (comparison shots from the exact same spot in the game):
Bitter Coast
, Solstheim

Last edited:
The mods in the screens are vurt's groundcover mod, bitter coast trees, solstheim trees & bushes.. not sure which ones will be included in the overhaul, the groundcover mod is in at least, and a most of my tree mods i believe (I'm vurt btw).

The mods in the screens are vurt's groundcover mod, bitter coast trees, solstheim trees & bushes.. not sure which ones will be included in the overhaul, the groundcover mod is in at least, and a most of my tree mods i believe (I'm vurt btw).

Oh you are vurt! Nice :D
I just asked Kingpix and he told me that with the little config program included in the Overhaul you can switch several trees/grasses mods! He also told me that your mod are included :)

If you record Morrowind with FRAPS it gets dark and ugly on youtube (it's a problem with the gamma)..

2 screens i just took for comparison.. sometimes i forget how MW used to look (comparison shots from the exact same spot in the game):
Bitter Coast
, Solstheim

If this is how the game will look; sign me up. That looks really great. Almost like night and day

Plain awesome! THANK YOU!

Graphics overhaul sounds good, less sure about the gameplay one. The idea of putting everything together like in the Big Picture for Baldur's Gate 2 results in very poor quality content mods sitting alongside the better stuff. Sure you can leave out the crap stuff, but a/ you don't always know what that is beforehand and b/ it kind of defeats the object of having a single overarching install.

I must replay Morrowind one of these days, probably with this graphics overhaul, Combat Enhanced and that one that makes Dagoth Ur a proper badass mofo.

I think if I were to play again I would have to have this mod. In the past Ive tried with this or Oblivion and spent a day downloading content and then installing and fixing and end up only playing about 5 minutes or so. It does sound like the team had spent a decent amount of time vetting mods for quality and including only decent quality mods. Now what their standards are I don't know but sounds like they take care to keep it playable.

Apparently I still have MW installed on my harddrive and judging from the save games, I last played seriously in 2003 and did a restart in 2006. The biggest surprise to me other than it has been that long is that it runs fine on Win7 without having to do anything extra like fix the registry. Rhedd's heads & hair still hold up in terms of quality though.

Back
Top Bottom