Alpha Protocol - Review Flood # 2

aries100

SasqWatch
There's more reviews for Alpha Protocol. First up is The Escapist with an article named Alpha Overhaul. Here's a tidbit:
If you're used to playing a renegade type of character you might be in for a shock when mouthing off to powerful people and sucker-punching jerks comes back to haunt you later. If your playstyle leans towards the paladin end of the spectrum, then you might learn a little lesson in pragmatism when sparing the life of an enemy means they might come back to give you a wedgie in a subsequent mission. Some choices are clear, and others aren't, but after the first few decisions you'll come to appreciate being able to change the game in meaningful ways. Sometimes a choice can turn a boss fight into a conversation. Or save the life of an ally. None of the decisions follow the cheap formula of "do you want the money and the bad karma or do your want to make some trivial sacrifice as a down payment on your halo?"
Second, we have a review at Game Critics which gives the game a 1.0/10 - the reviewer doesn't like the game:
I could go on like this for quite a while, if I thought it necessary. Alpha Protocol fails on multiple levels, from its completely inappropriate boss fights down to its absurd Looney Toons-style stealth creep. Nothing about this game suggests its makers have any acquaintance with sound design principles or even quality control. Flawed in its conception, impoverished in its design, and thoroughly inept in its execution, Alpha Protocol is an unmitigated disaster. Rating: 1.0 out of 10.
And then there's this doodle review at Strident UK.
More information.

1/10 was how I felt after the boss fight in Asia, a week later 6/10. Maybe he should have taken a breath and come back to this review.

Anyone who gives this game lower than 7/10 and Mass Effect and Dragon Age higher than 6/10 is a failure in life.

Hopefully, a stray Emu will hit these reviewers on their face when they least expect it.

I loved it.

It was fun, interesting dialogue (with hilarious delivery), and I felt like an international bad ass. What more could I want?

1/10 for AP marks a reviewer as completely incapable of properly reviewing a game in my view and I would never want to read a review by that person. I could see liking or not liking the game but 1/10 isn't anything close to appropriate whether it's a game I like a lot (AP) or a game I dislike a lot but which others somewhat enjoy.

Anyone who gives this game lower than 7/10 and Mass Effect and Dragon Age higher than 6/10 is a failure in life.

Hopefully, a stray Emu will hit these reviewers on their face when they least expect it.

Then the majority of the planet is fail.

I don't see a 1/10 score on the game critics piece. In fact I don't see a numerical score at all.

I don't see a 1/10 score on the game critics piece. In fact I don't see a numerical score at all.

At the end it says: "Rating: 1.0 out of 10."

Not sure whether it's serious or not though. Sounds to me like he's merely unhappy with it and slaps the 1 on as a sign of that, not because it's actually a serious score.

If it is, it's not to be taken seriously.

At the end it says: "Rating: 1.0 out of 10."

Not sure whether it's serious or not though. Sounds to me like he's merely unhappy with it and slaps the 1 on as a sign of that, not because it's actually a serious score.

If it is, it's not to be taken seriously.

Interesting - you are right, it is indeed there, but in invisible text (on my browser at least) I can only see the text by highlighting it. So I guess its not an official score, but rather an expression of intense personal dislike. Not that "unmitigated disaster" needs much additional emphasis :)

Typically, the worst reaction you can get is apathy.

By provoking a passionate dislike, it probably means the game "has something" but didn't manage to live up to it, and that's why the guy reacted in such a way.

For sure, AP "has something" - but I have to agree with several of his points, only in a less exaggerated manner.

Back
Top Bottom