What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Rented and watched Borat.
It was quit gross at some points but I laughed hard during the movie.
People's reactions were great and I wonder if some incidents(like with Pamela)were staged.
Overall it's the best comedy I've seen in a while.

Rented and watched Borat.
It was quit gross at some points but I laughed hard during the movie.
People's reactions were great and I wonder if some incidents(like with Pamela)were staged.
Overall it's the best comedy I've seen in a while.

I laughed my ass off at Borat, especially when they were fighting in the hotel. :lol:

Terminator Salvation: See above post and apply the same sentiment.

As a fan of the other Terminator movies, I was very disappointed.

Terminator Salvation: See above post and apply the same sentiment.

As a fan of the other Terminator movies, I was very disappointed.

I thought it kinda decent and was better than T3. But they should've ended the movie sooner.
The part where Marcus gives Connor his heart is pretty lame.

Anyway, as I understand they still want to make 2 more Terminator movies.

It was by far my least favorite of the 4, and the plot had more holes than swiss cheese.

I'm not going to get into the plot, but how about when Conner jump-started Marcus back to life like a frickin car?!? Utterly ridiculous and lame. I also agree with you about the part you mentioned as well. The final 20 minutes ruined what was otherwise a good movie.

Bales acting was also terrible in this movie imo.

I've heard nothing good about this one, and since I thought #3 was terrible, I'll just keep to the first two and be happy ...

Saw Big Fish this weekend on Netflix... enjoyed it fairly well. It was very uneven early on but ended fairly nicely. Definitely showed what Tim Burton does well ... and what he doesn't.

Doubt
Mrs dte picked the rental, and this is the result... The script goes out of its way to stay vague, but in some ways I think that weakens it significantly. While I understand the game of parsing the truth, there were several instances where a straight answer would have worked. Given the stakes of the "game", it really strained the plausibility of the script for the main characters to rely so much on the gamesmanship of inference and innuendo. The cast does a good job with what they've got to work with, though.

Keeping to my usual grading system (which isn't quite applicable since this one isn't in theatres at this point), this one merits no more than an "maybe" rental. Even if you're in the mood for a serious drama, there are better choices out there.

I just watched Angels and Demons yesterday and I actually enjoyed it. Well maybe because I really like those kind of movies which they doesn't know whose the real enemy and I like the part where they are solving the case using their own knowledge.

watched Smokin Aces the other night, was pretty funny and lots of the good old ultraviolence.

Yeah I enjoyed that when I saw it at the theatre, I thought the ending could have been a lot better though...they tried to be slick, but I thought it was just silly.

Did the rental thing again this weekend.

City of Ember
Came out on the tail end of those "nearly adult kids movies" like Narnia2, Golden Compass, the Seeker and a few others. This one was decent. Not terribly plausible from an engineering standpoint, but a fun, suspenseful watch for the kids. Recommended for pre-teens. Might be too "deep" for younger and too "whatever" for older, but good for the target audience.

Gran Torino
Another Mrs dte selection. She enjoyed it more than I did, but I thought it was decent. Eastwood's character is such a bigot that I laughed at many of the lines, which I believe was the intent. Overly PC types might not find it humorous. The action is decent. Good script and good performances. Worth the rental.

My younger son loved the (Ember) books, wasn't too enamored with the movies ... sort of like Narnia 2, Seeker, Spiderwick, Eragon ...

I thought Gran Torino was pretty good. It was filmed in Grosse Pointe and Highland Park, MI ... so it was cool to see places that I recognized. Eastwood played the "bitter old man" part perfectly, and the supporting cast did a great job for being amateur actors.

Bucket List on Netflix ... not too bad, better than expected, and more poignant.

Back from the cinema, from Transformers 2. Awesome stuff, just like the first one. But my jaw wasn't on the floor as much as during the first one. Must be because I expected to see amazing stuff like that. Anyways, seeing it in the cinema on a huge screen with surround sound made all the difference in the world. It's gorgeous and sounds amazing. Reason enough to see it imo.

Back from the cinema, from Transformers 2. Awesome stuff, just like the first one. But my jaw wasn't on the floor as much as during the first one. Must be because I expected to see amazing stuff like that. Anyways, seeing it in the cinema on a huge screen with surround sound made all the difference in the world. It's gorgeous and sounds amazing. Reason enough to see it imo.

So if I agree with most people that the first one was terrific as mindless spectacle but terrible as a movie ... then this is worse?

Back
Top Bottom