RPGWatch Feature: Silverfall Interview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Back in December Monte Cristo's Silverfall was starting to generate some buzz, so we organsed an interview to introduce their steampunk-ish action/RPG. It's taken that long to get back to us and in the meantime, both a demo and press previews have been released that probably date the questions. We do delve into some topics that haven't really been covered such as influencing NPCs and Jehanne Rousseau reveals the editor will ship with the game, so hopefully it's worth the read. Here's a snip:
RPGWatch: How is the gameworld organised and can you give us a feel for the size? Is it one continuous world or individual maps/areas and how much freedom will players have in exploration? What sort of locations will players encounter?
Jehanne: The world of Silverfall is really vast and varied, and consists of several maps which together form a continuous world. The player can move around freely around the scenery, and will occasionally have loading times, but the game will continue freely afterwards.

The player can go wherever he wants whenever he wants, but he can be limited by the level of monsters in certain areas. Silverfall allows you to visit a zeppelin city, which is attached by huge chains to another city lying on the top of the canyons. The player can also see Blazis, the city built on volcano lava; he will run through underground worlds; he will enter a giant insect hive, and more.
Read it here.
More information.

Editor with Multiplayer, eh? Is there a limit to the number of players? Is there the possibility of making something like NWN out of it or a standalone server? How about PW possibilities?

incidentally, who did this interview? was it you Dhruin?

its a good interview that revealed some things I didn't know about the game. There was know statement who made it so I asked the obvious.

Its why I asked about standalone server possibilities now that we know its MP and will ship with an editor. If you get a chance to talk to Jehanne again see if you can hit her up on that question. It would be great to have another NWN type game. Something that unfortunately Titan's Quest didn't do.

its a good interview that revealed some things I didn't know about the game. There was know statement who made it so I asked the obvious.

Look at the upper right of any article and see something like "by Brian "Dhruin" Turner, 2007-03-07" - that is the article authorship.

I was anxious about this title until I really got into the demo...

good concept, very poor camera control. 'twas becoming quite the chore to play

Yep. Played the demo and was somewhat underwhelmed. I like to see who's killing me. Has some nice bits tho.

I for one was overwhelmed by the demo. Great looking graphics. Camera reminds me of NWN2 camera system.

I attempted the demo for 1/2 an hour, but it really confused me. There was no manual or readme, and the camera angle continually changing meant it was trial and error to figure out which way I was actually going (North! North! oh, West...). What's the little arrow on your character marker: the camera angle? It's not the direction you are walking in.

On the plus side, the graphic style is unique and beautiful, and from the conversations I had I think there's plenty of story there.

I'll wait for reviews of the full game before deciding on this one. Maybe they'll fix the camera, or someone will write a mod to fix it further down the line.

Back
Top Bottom