Two Worlds - Reviews @ Boomtown, Play

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Two new reviews for Two Worlds, each on different platforms and with very different conclusions.
Boomtown looked at the X360 version and slammed it with a 4/10 in their review:
The last thing likely to put you off playing Two Worlds, once you’ve got past the PS1 graphics, has got to be the dialogue and the delivery of said dialogue. Everything is in mock-medieval, with a hey-nonny-nonny and a verily, forsooth and gadzooks. It is so badly written that it’s no surprise that the voice talent delivers the lines with all the emotion of a house brick. Perhaps they too had to listen to the low-rent Enya music that makes up the soundtrack. Whatever the case, the result is unintentionally funny at best, and outright obscure at worst – even with subtitles.
...but Play.tm played the PC version and came away reasonably happy, despite being one of those reviews that starts "I'm not a massive fan of RPGs". The score is 75% and here's the conclusion:
These issues are relatively minor when considering the massive playground you have at your disposal. It quite bluntly isn't as good as Oblivion's (you never thought it would be did you?) but it does provide an awful lot to sink your exploring-teeth into. Indeed, it'll certainly be a lot of fun if you like this sort of thing; its ambition and open-ended nature should satisfy genre fans at the very least. Two Worlds does offer mini-games by way of multiplayer (horse racing, death matches, etc) however disappointingly nothing by way of co-op quests. Still, it's better to have something than nothing and extra marks go to Reality Pump for making the effort.
A well-crafted and ultimately huge slice of video gaming.
More information.

It was really hard to read that Play.tm article after the first paragraph ... it is as though he fiddled with Dungeon Siege and Diablo, and those represented the RPG world to him - and then Oblivion sprang out of nowhere as if nothing else like it ever existed before ...

PS1 had graphics like Two Worlds?!? I must have been royally screwed when I got mine then because it sure as hell didn't look anywhere near that good!

Me too. Two Worlds atually has pretty good graphics IMO, and in some way better than Oblivious' although not quite as good as a tweaked G3.

Of the reviewer could've had a crappy system that was incapable of running the game at higher settings, although that said, even on my system I don't have ALL of the options maxed, but it still looks pretty good to me. (And it's not cheesey cartoony graphix ala the travesty that is TF2.)

[EDIT]
Oops missed that it was on a crap60. must be highlighting the shortcomings of a console with limited resources that tries to shoehorn in a PC game...

Sorry to de-rail the thread but I just have to say: TF2 graphics (and it's entire design) are pure genius. More developers need to create works of art rather than just trying to constantly emulate reality. Just my 2-cents =0P

Sorry to de-rail the thread but I just have to say: TF2 graphics (and it's entire design) are pure genius. More developers need to create works of art rather than just trying to constantly emulate reality. Just my 2-cents =0P

I have always felt this way about games. Good art design allows you to have less of the bells and whistles and still have a game that is pleasing to the eye.

Oops missed that it was on a crap60. must be highlighting the shortcomings of a console with limited resources that tries to shoehorn in a PC game...
Well the 360 is perfectly capable of doing a good job - but I blame the devs for not managing the port well. I have heard that the graphics are decent but not up to PC standards, and the performance is awful.

Two Worlds PC + 1.5 Service Release Patch + Two Worlds Control Panel graphic tweaks + GeForce 88xx = bye bye Oblivion and even G3 (graphics are actually pretty similar to the latter one but the game is far less buggy, if at all)

Back
Top Bottom