Torchlight II - Preview Roundup

aries100

SasqWatch
A few preview has surfaced for this game, courtesy of this year's E3. I'll quote from one from one of them and list the others. First we have RPGFan:
Torchlight II is an impressive-looking upcoming title; even though details are relatively scarce, my hands-on time with the title was quite fun. Runic hasn't set a solid date for the title, but it will be released sometime in the summer, followed by a Mac port, and possibly an Xbox Live Arcade port forthcoming after these are completed. With some spiffy graphics, addictive gameplay, and brand new character classes, Runic should have another winner on their hands. It's not often that games are good, clean fun, but Torchlight II is the type of game that has that and only that - there's no fat on it.
And the others:
Marooners' Rock
GameRevolution
More information.

Clean fun? I'm not sure that clean is one of my criteria (in games).

Glad to see the improvement in the game world/maps. That was one of my bigger gripes with the first.

Multiplayer means I'll actually consider playing it this time.

Meh….Hated Torchlight. Too simple and too boring. Din's Curse was better. Depths of Peril was tons better. Sacred, Dungeons Siege (especially 2), Titan's Quest or pretty much any action rpg out there was better than Torchlight. There is one game that Torchlight is better than and that's Fate, but that's not saying much.

From my experience with Torchlight I have absolutely no interest in getting this game.

Last edited:
Meh….Hated Torchlight. Too simple and too boring. Din's Curse was better. Depths of Peril was tons better. Sacred, Titan's Quest or pretty much any action rpg out there was better than Torchlight. There is one game that Torchlight is better than and that's Fate, but that's not saying much.

Yeah, I agree.

Never got the appreciation for Torchlight - just like I never got the appreciation for Mythos or FATE.

However, I most certainly got the appreciation for Hellgate (what little there was), and Torchlight kinda represents the tragic consequence of that failed game.

True. I actually forgot that the Diablo/Hellgate guys did Torchlight. What a let down that game was (I mean Torchlight not Hellgate. Loved Hellgate). IIRC the music was the only thing that reminded me of Diablo in Torchlight.

Hellgate will soon be back though. I wasn't able to play the beta because of torrent issues, but it looks good. I hope it sticks around this time.

I'll be playing the F2P version myself, but I'm pretty sure it's a half-assed effort.

Ah crap....oh well. I still have the original and like playing it from time to time.

Since I played the real online version, I can't really go back to singleplayer without the two expansions…. :(

Meh….Hated Torchlight. Too simple and too boring. Din's Curse was better. Depths of Peril was tons better. Sacred, Dungeons Siege (especially 2), Titan's Quest or pretty much any action rpg out there was better than Torchlight. There is one game that Torchlight is better than and that's Fate, but that's not saying much.

From my experience with Torchlight I have absolutely no interest in getting this game.

Hmm, maybe I have to check out some of those games. I enjoyed Titan Quest quite a bit. I never really understood why people raved about Torchlight. It had bugger all depth for a mass loot game.

Does that include the Soldak games?

Yeah.

I think Din's Curse is great for an indie title, but it's too randomized and lacking in purpose for my tastes.

I tried Depths of Peril and it just wasn't for me.

Hellgate Global is good from the limited time I played it and compared to when I was in the beta of Hellgate: London it is much better. Compared to a heavily modded version of Hellgate: London with revival and lost london there are things better in Global and some things better in the modded version.

PS. They did get a direct download sometime after the torrent went up.

Hmm, maybe I have to check out some of those games. I enjoyed Titan Quest quite a bit. I never really understood why people raved about Torchlight. It had bugger all depth for a mass loot game.

I love Depths of Peril. Steven took a regular old Diablo clone and added in factions, competition questing and joinable characters.

The factions is what made me a die-hard fan of Depths of Peril. I love that about that game.

Din's curse is good, but it's not nearly as good as Depths of Peril. I had hoped he would make one more fantasy genre game that took the best parts from Din's Curse and added in all the best parts from Depths of Peril. Oh well, I can hope that one day he'll do that because it would be a heck of a lot of fun to play.

If you're interested, Scrav, here's Gamebanshee's review on Din's Curse + Expansion and our preview of it.

Here's our review of Depth's of Peril. I love that game, just had to say that one more time :p

Agree totally. I always wondered why Tochlight was received so well, ( some people call it best Diablo-Clone ever ) it was just an another Diablo clone you see every year. It really didn't have anything that made it unique compared to other clones. Just a run of the mill mixture of Diablo 1,2 and Fate. Of course it was fun, but that's just because it imitated all of the basics of the genre completely without taking any risks and trying to anything innovative or groundbreaking.

Back
Top Bottom