Warlock 2: The Exiled

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Paradox Interactive has announced a sequel to Warlock: Master of the Arcane called Warlock 2: The Exiled. Here is the link to the games webpage , and the games trailer.

Journey back to the realm of Ardania, the land that cannot go an entire week without being conquered, and conquer it once again! Exiled to a shard from a shattered world, players of Warlock 2: The Exiled must contend with fellow exiled mages and a host of terrifying creatures. Wield ancient magic, summon even more terrifying creatures, wage constant war where every decision is crucial (warlocks don't do auto-resolving battles), and discover just who possesses the greatest balls of fire in a turn-based strategy game that offers no surrender or retreat.

-The battle for Ardania is constant, merciless, and challenging: your claim to the land will be tested with battles across the world map where each fight is worthy of your personal attention; you're not called a WAR-lock for nothing

-Over 150 spells to add to your tome, allowing command over powerful enchantments, nasty hexes, and elemental forces

-Hundreds of different mythical and magical beasts to deploy on the battlefield with distinct tactical uses, from giant rats and dwarven prospectors to werewolves with hats on them

-A multi-player experience as robust as the single-player experience, including PvP, Co-op PvE, and every combination in between

-Fight your way through the shards to reclaim Ardania in new 'Exile' mode, or relive the classic gameplay of 'Master of the Arcane' mode with new features from the sequel

So I guess no one cares about this game. I remember a few posters loved the first game.;)

I did like first one and I will buy second one.Fun litle lite 4X strategy with focus on combat.
It was fun. I'm also looking forward to Age of Wonders 3, and Worlds of Magic also. There both nearing release in a few months.

Sadly I haven't played any game that has recaptured the feeling of Masters of Magic. Many have tried but none have come close.

So I guess no one cares about this game. I remember a few posters loved the first game.;)

I do! I found the original Warlock to be a really good game. It had its flaws (balance was a bit "meh" and it really could have used more unit types & preferably more factions, and well, more content in general), but Warlock is one of my most played games on Steam. It really was at its best in multiplayer though, with friends, as that made the stupid AI less of an issue.
Hope they get the Sean Connery impersonator for this one as well. He is an integral part of the Majesty-series.

It was fun. I'm also looking forward to Age of Wonders 3, and Worlds of Magic also. There both nearing release in a few months.

Sadly I haven't played any game that has recaptured the feeling of Masters of Magic. Many have tried but none have come close.

I didn't realize World of magic was so close to release.From all those games inspired by Masters of magic at least one should get it right.Elemental:Fallen enchantress came closest but still far, Warlock had right idea but it lacked ambition.

Also I don't like that Age of wanders 3 deviates from original series and went more towards Civ 5 and Elemental, but still on videos it looks great and it's instant buy for me.

First game was kinda underwhelming and seemed too light from what I saw.

Did it have multiplayer?

I'm still hoping Fallen Enchantress will one day have multiplayer. If not, I guess Age of Wonders 3 is the game to wait for.

From all those games inspired by Masters of magic at least one should get it right.Elemental:Fallen enchantress came closest but still far, Warlock had right idea but it lacked ambition.
I enjoyed the Elemental games the most in the last few years, and agree they came the closest. I always hear inspired bt Masters of Magic, and always get my hopes up. You would think I would of learned by now.
Also I don't like that Age of wanders 3 deviates from original series and went more towards Civ 5 and Elemental, but still on videos it looks great and it's instant buy for me.
I noticed that in the latest videos. The hex grid, and city's look like a copy of CIV 5. Well as they say coping is the sincerest form of flattery.

Did it have multiplayer?
Yeah it had multiplayer. I tried it a few times with a few friends. Like nameless said your friends are smarter than the A.I.

I'm interested. I didn't play the first one, so maybe I skipped directly to the better one

… Like nameless said your friends are smarter than the A.I.

Unlike the people here…..

Sorry, it had to be said. Couldn't let that opportunity pass. :)

pibbur who hopes he is hiding in a place where nobody can find him.

Last edited:
Unlike the people here…..

Sorry, it had to be said. Couldn't let that opportunity pass. :)

pibbur who hopes he is hiding in a place where nobody can find him.
Can't see how this off-topic reply has anything to do with the topic. Though I will give you a five minute head start before I come after you. ;)

Age of Wonders is an impressive stuff, but for me more than the global system and approach, what kick ass is the levels design and AI design matching the levels rather well. Ok the winks to Tolkien was cool stuff too.

By experience level design quality and AI quality is something very difficult to reproduce when a team is trying to do a late followup/remake.

Here is a new trailer and news of a live stream at 2:00 pm EST on the Paradox Interactive Twitch channel.

For the first time on the shard known as "Earth," the single-player gameplay of Warlock 2 is going to be demonstrated via live stream on Paradoxís Twitch.TV channel. The stream will be presented on January 30, 2014 at 8 p.m. CET / 11 a.m. PST. Witness the magic by visiting twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive.

In Warlock 2: The Exiled, diplomacy is not an option and war is the only way to triumph. The land of Ardania is in turmoil and players will take on the role of one of several unique Great Mages to restore order by conquering the land. Wield powerful magic as you command a battlefield filled with malevolent beasts, undead hordes, and other atrocities as you fight your way to unite the shards of a randomly generated shattered realm in either sandbox mode or the new Exiled campaign mode. Cast over 170 customizable spells, hire heroes to command your armies, and bring every last Great Mage to their knees.

Floating shards of a shattered world? Seems odd to me that they would go with that theme considering it's already been done before with Eador.

It does look kind of cool though. I like how they introduced a mix of high-tech elements to the fantasy theme.

Floating shards of a shattered world? Seems odd to me that they would go with that theme considering it's already been done before with Eador.

It does look kind of cool though. I like how they introduced a mix of high-tech elements to the fantasy theme.
I don't mind them copying good stuff from other games :)
Though I believe there is a difference. In Eador once you finish a shard you get a few rewards and that's it. In here it seems you can go to shards you've conquered and still access the cities, produce units, etc. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, seems to me it can get very complicated once you have a bunch of shards.

Yeah I'm not sure about that either, I'm kind of leaning much more towards "bad thing" myself. The self contained shards gave Eador much more of a campaign feel, which I liked a lot. Meanwhile trying to manage multiple cities across multiple shards sounds like it could throw you into micromanagement hell. Plus I can't see how the AI will handle it, they couldn't even manage 1 world in the first game.

I don't mind them copying good stuff from other games :)
Though I believe there is a difference. In Eador once you finish a shard you get a few rewards and that's it. In here it seems you can go to shards you've conquered and still access the cities, produce units, etc. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, seems to me it can get very complicated once you have a bunch of shards.

Did it have multiplayer?
The first game did not have MP at launch, though they added it (and several other things, like heroes that you can hire) post-launch. In general, I thought Warlock 1 got excellent post-launch support, both in terms of free content, and DLC (most of which was well worth the asking price, only the 2 2€ DLCs were a bit lacking)

Also, did anyone watch the stream? What's your thought on the game after seeing it?

Well it has been a while since I updated the thread. So here is a new video, and don't forget the release date is April 10, 2014. You can Pre-order the game on March 20.

Link- http://www.warlock2.com/

Paradox released a new press release with news you can now pre-order Warlock 2: The Exiled, and gain instant access to play the current build.

Pre-order Warlock 2: The Exiled and Magically Gain Instant Access

Eager Enchanters Able to Play Game Prior to April 10 Release

STOCKHOLM — March 20, 2014 — Paradox Interactive today announced that the wait is finally over for strategy-fantasy fans everywhere. Warlock 2: The Exiled, the forthcoming turn-based strategy-fantasy wargame from Ino-Co Plus, is now available for pre-orders with instant access to play the game.

Warlock 2: The Exiled is available in three editions, with premium editions offering several tomes’ worth of extras like soundtracks and content packs for discerning diviners. All three, including the Standard Edition ($29.99), grant instant pre-order access to the game, minus the game-customizing Editor Tool. The extra content for the premium editions will also become available upon release. Players who purchase the Lord Edition or Great Mage Edition will also receive an original digital copy of the novel Warlock 2: The Great Mage Game. Warlock 2: The Exiled can be pre-ordered now at www.warlock2.com/buy

If that's not enough for you - check out this new gameplay trailer that illustrates just why the Paradox CEO has logged hundreds of turns in Warlock 2: The Exiled to date.

In Warlock 2: The Exiled, diplomacy is not an option — war is the only way to triumph. The land of Ardania is in turmoil and players will take on the role of one of several unique Great Mages to restore order by conquering the land. Wield powerful magic as you command a battlefield filled with malevolent beasts, undead hordes, and other atrocities as you fight your way to unite the shards of a randomly generated shattered realm in either sandbox mode or the new Exiled campaign mode. Cast over 170 customizable spells, hire heroes to command your armies, and bring every last Great Mage to their knees.

For more information about Warlock 2: The Exiled, visit www.warlock2.com

I found a new video preview from PCG Media.

Warlock 2 is a relatively smaller game than other hex-based strategy games, but with a seemingly endless array of NPC quests filled with pop-culture references, and 14 different races to choose from, there's certainly enough bang for your buck.(No comparisons to Civ, this time.)

Back
Top Bottom