Larian Studios - Status Update - Funding Secured for Two Projects

It's really great news. I'm more excited for this isometric RPG by the way.

Last edited:
And what exactly constitutes "hardcore"? So if an RPG isn't turn-based, etc., then it's not hardcore?

I think part of being a hardcore RPG would be having every combat action stat based in some way. No dodging projectiles by sidestepping, etc. This is probably harder to do without having turn based combat, but not impossible. One of the main elements that separates RPGs from purely action games is having character stats that you build up as you progress.

Hmmm divinity 2 also had the less then steller dragon flying….

Yes, and that's why he said in THE earlier post that they would like to do it "right" - I think this was Project E, then, if I remember correctly.

Good on Lars. He's the only one who is publicly stating that he opposes the spiralling down of RPGs into duck, hack and follow the big glowing quest marker.

That said, while I loved the quest design and plot of DKS, I found the combat to be a bit too twitchy for my liking. See some enemies, jump frantically, spam magic missile, jump frantically, rinse repeat. It's over too quickly to be able to analyse tactics, as the loading screen tips suggest.

Yeah, Divinity 2 is hardcore. There won't be any more turn based Western RPGs anymore... unless they're indie/for the handhelds. I grew up on the Might and Magic, the Realm of Arcania etc... this is it. We either come to grips or never play a new non-indie RPG. BTW, you guys saying it's not hardcore... is Witcher not hardcore?

I agree with Gaxkang. The combat was a bit too "arcadey" for me, too. I do think they got just about everything else right, though.

My personal impression is that they just wanted to deliver a fun, action-rich experience.

Nothing more, nothing less, in my opinion.

I think part of being a hardcore RPG would be having every combat action stat based in some way. No dodging projectiles by sidestepping, etc. This is probably harder to do without having turn based combat, but not impossible. One of the main elements that separates RPGs from purely action games is having character stats that you build up as you progress.

Yes, you are an example of a core RPG contingent that views that as the defining aspect of RPGs. There are many people with different opinions though, and an action RPG like Gothic 2 is still very "hardcore."

The RPG, in video game terms at least, is a very wide phrase. It can mean a lot of things to a lot of people, not just stats. For instance I personally look at RPGs as games where player choice can significantly effect the character, world or story. I'm more about choice being the defining characteristic of an RPG, rather than stats.

Yes, you are an example of a core RPG contingent that views that as the defining aspect of RPGs. There are many people with different opinions though, and an action RPG like Gothic 2 is still very "hardcore."

The RPG, in video game terms at least, is a very wide phrase. It can mean a lot of things to a lot of people, not just stats. For instance I personally look at RPGs as games where player choice can significantly effect the character, world or story. I'm more about choice being the defining characteristic of an RPG, rather than stats.

Stats represent choices and consequences, though. At least that's what this article says. And who am I to dispute the learned ones?

Maybe not, but it is always easier to explain to players (especially of this generation) that they physically strike at their opposition by clicking the left mouse button, and if the strike visually connects, the hit is good. Alternatively, if you try to explain, that your hit chance is measured by your AB, which in turn is measured your strength + a d20 roll vs. your opponents AC, which is measured by your dexterity + the Armour you are wearing, most gamers run away screaming.

Maybe not, but it is always easier to explain to players (especially of this generation) that they physically strike at their opposition by clicking the left mouse button, and if the strike visually connects, the hit is good. Alternatively, if you try to explain, that your hit chance is measured by your AB, which in turn is measured your strength + a d20 roll vs. your opponents AC, which is measured by your dexterity + the Armour you are wearing, most gamers run away screaming.

If we define "hardcore" as requiring more attention or patience to play then deeper stat mechanics is certainly one way to be hardcore, but it's not the end-all-be-all.

I was trying to point to a double standard we have on this site, oblivion is not considered by many of you to be an RPG but dragon knight saga is. Ditto to dragon age 1 and 2....Dragon knight saga is a good game, but it is rpg light as any other rpg on the market.

I was trying to point to a double standard we have on this site, oblivion is not considered by many of you to be an RPG but dragon knight saga is. Ditto to dragon age 1 and 2….Dragon knight saga is a good game, but it is rpg light as any other rpg on the market.

You drive me nuts with your references to "this site", which are constant. "The site" - as in the people that own and run it - don't usually share these opinions. The individual people who post here are, not surprisingly, of various and disparate opinions.

You are right that there are some foolish people who project hate because a particular game is from a big studio, is popular or they took exception to the marketing. On the other hand, DKS is definitely not "RPG light as any other RPG". It is an action/RPG no argument - but it does have different solutions, strong exploration and little to no hand-holding in terms of quest compasses and the like. The FoV expansion has relatively little combat and is quite dialogue-heavy - not a common thing for an action/RPG.

Overall, I'd say the result is reasonably hardcore, although obviously not anywhere near many traditional RPGs.

You drive me nuts with your references to "this site", which are constant. "The site" - as in the people that own and run it - don't usually share these opinions. The individual people who post here are, not surprisingly, of various and disparate opinions.

Ahh well i didn't mean to imply that as you the guys running the site have these feelings, I look at this site as a product of those that use it. I should have used the word community and I apolagize for that.

"This site" = "this hive mind" ?

Back
Top Bottom