Holyspirit - Revealed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Why cant they make great games like this anymore ??? I even like the story. I WILL CHECK THIS OUT WHEN RELEASED IN ENGLISH. Imagine if an isometric RPG got a triple A budget, the possibilities ... Huge open world, GREAT graphics ,Music and story like the golden years of PC gaming. The PS2 had a lot of great isometric RPGs . What happend to the isometric RPGs. The 2d ages very well.

SO annoying that it's in some stupid other language. Listen, people. Everybody knows that you can all read English just fine. Why limit yourselves to some tiny audience, when you could be making a game that I can play? You're just being stupid. Maybe one day you'll learn to take other people's viewpoints and needs into account instead of thinking you're the center of the universe. You've got a lot of growing up to do, France.

SO annoying that it's in some stupid other language. Listen, people. Everybody knows that you can all read English just fine. Why limit yourselves to some tiny audience, when you could be making a game that I can play? You're just being stupid. Maybe one day you'll learn to take other people's viewpoints and needs into account instead of thinking you're the center of the universe. You've got a lot of growing up to do, France.
This would sound so egocentric and arrogant said by an native english speaker... which I don't know if you are however.

Anyway, english is not the only important language in the world, the english speaking world is not the centre of the universe, and there are lots of people who can't speak english who could say exactly the same thing about most of games out there that are made only in english.

Multilingual games are always welcome, but calling stupid someone who just want to make a work in his native language... well I'm not going to put adjectives.

Joke or not I agree. :D I care more whether I can play the game than whether the games language is in finnish or english. English should come first, other languages second if there is money for translation.

So, you're saying if a person isn't competent in English, they shouldn't bother trying to develop a game? I'd rather them take the chance and then hope that someone with good English skills will help with translations. We might be missing the next Jeff Vogel, just because he doesn't speak the international language. I do believe that French is in the top 10 of spoken languages, so it's not super rare.

Agreed with crpgnut. King's Bounty, for example, was originally made and released in Russian, with the English translation coming later. Drakensang: TRoT was German, then Italian and Spanish, then Polish and English seems to have come last.

Games being developed or released initially in non-English languages is common, and what should be done instead of complaining is encouraging the dev to either translate it or help with a fan project to do the same.

With French I'd almost agree.
I'd call it pride.

I agree witrh crpgnut. And actually, while quite a lot of people outside the native english speaking areas know english fairly well, writing really good English isn't necessarily straightforward. I'm pretty sure that I, in my writing here, sometimes use somewhat weird/unfamiliar/cumbersome phrases, in addition to the (hopefully) ocassional grammatical- and spelling errors.

I often see people complaining about bad translation in foreign games. But, isn't that exactly what you would get if the devs tried to use English in the first place?

I often see people complaining about bad translation in foreign games. But, isn't that exactly what you would get if the devs tried to use English in the first place?
I think there's a bit of a difference. Translations are done after the script has been written, so the context (Which often changes meanings and how things are said) is known. If they're writing in English in the first place, and they're not professionally competent with it, then that context won't be there as the script will be a mess.

A bad translation still tends to have that context, or at least shreds of it, but it's still something that counts against a game. Just think what it'd be like if you weren't confident with reading English. It can be hard enough to learn as it is, and if someone's trying to play a game in English (As some tend do if there's no localisation for their language) then a bad translation will make it harder to understand.

As I tried to translate myself, I can say that the worst things are imho proverbs.

When I was younger, I didn't know English proverbs and I think I remember I tried to translate them literally …

Nowadays, I know some of them, and if I really try to, then I'm able to express mself much more subtle than when I was able to let's say 7 years ago.

Learning a languge is a life-long process. Alas it never ends. Not even for natives. ;)

By the way, the term "holy spirit" sounds like a christian theme top me. Eastern, for example.

Back
Top Bottom