Legend of Grimrock 2 - New GUI

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Almost Human has a new developer post talking about the new GUI for Legend of Grimrock 2.

From the past experience with graphical user interfaces (GUI) we know that creating a gui that not only looks great but is also effortless and intuitive to use is hard work. For LoG1 we did many, many iterations before settling down with the final design (by scanning older blog posts you can see various incarnations that evolve to the final version). We are pretty happy with the original gui but as always there is still room for improvement.

The changes are not just eye-candy, some of them make the gui more usable. For example, you can now cycle through the characters by clicking on the arrows on the left and right side of the portrait. Also, the main statistics, experience, food, health, energy, protection and evasion are always visible on the upper half of the character sheet. With a quick glance you can now see whose character sheet is open regardless which tab is active.

On the visual side, the little drips of brown and green here and there remind of the new outdoor environments. A little feature that we wanted to do for Grimrock 1, but didn’t have enough time, is race and gender specific inventory panel backgrounds. Naturally now that we have moddable races (did I mention this feature already?), mods can define new background images for new races.

More information.

Wasn't the original game made in less time than this sequel?
I'm looking forward to it, but by the time it's released, I'm afraid it'll be eclipsed by the likes of Torment, Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, and M&M X… in other words, HTFU.

^ Even if all kickstarters I've backed turn out to be great, I don't think I'll be sick of quality dungeon crawlers by the time LOG comes around.

Yeah, M&M X is the only one of those games that is even remotely similar to LoG.

I'm looking forward to a developer post where they reveal what new races and classes will be present in LoG 2.

Unfortunately, in light of BGT and newer games that came out trying to return to Legend of Grimrock even with the new MODs proved futile. Couldn't play it beyond 1st level so restrictive this grid-step style play is. And no Quick-Spell save or hotkeys? Ugghhh..

I got further than you mercy, but the game just bored me to death too. Not enough variety anywhere. Too much repetition everywhere.

I really enjoyed LOG and it was the first and only indie title I've finished but I must admit I was getting tired of the same puzzles over and over towards the end.

If LOG2 is just more of the same I will probably pass.

It would be nice to maybe see some more riddles and less pull a lever, find a key or shoot a fireball puzzles.

Couldn't disagree more. I can't think of an indie title that I enjoyed more than LoG.

It's just not the subgenre for me. I knew that going in and didn't get LOG until it was in a bargain deal.

Yeah, M&M X is the only one of those games that is even remotely similar to LoG.

Sure, but MMX and those other games will have more "meat on the bones" than that little dungeon crawler; If LoG2 isn't released soon, we will all be too busy with them to care.

Legend of Grimrock was a great game, but could be tedious at times due to its puzzle-heavy nature and lack of story. The sequel could really use a little Wizardry-style narration to set to mood, such as:

"The air is thick and humid and stinks of rotting corpses; scratching noises can be heard in the walls to the east while chains rattle to the north. Distant screams to the west send shivers down your spine. "

Sure, but MMX and those other games will have more "meat on the bones" than that little dungeon crawler; If LoG2 isn't released soon, we will all be too busy with them to care.

Those games are also much larger productions than LoG was, with a lot more people working on them. I'm sure their prices will reflect that.

You know what I say to all this debate? I need to stop screwing around with all this inferior stuff and go buy wizardry 8 on steam or GOG and just get to it. Never finished it back in the day but I think it is the formula for fun.

You know what I say to all this debate? I need to stop screwing around with all this inferior stuff and go buy wizardry 8…

Comparing Wizardry 8 to LoG is like comparing a Cadillac to a Pinto.
Yes, you should finish Wizardry 8, which holds up remarkably well for a 12 year old game. If there is ever a Wizardry 9 Kickstarter, I'm ready to throw lots of cash at it.

Back
Top Bottom