South Park RPG - Won't Ship Until It's "Perfect"

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameBanshee has noticed a lengthy interview at Ripten with THQ's Executive Vice President for Core Games, Danny Bilson. The conversation covers a number of topics primarily related to their financial woes but, on the last two pages, South Park RPG is discussed:
MF: When it was announced, it was slated for a 2012 release. Is that still going to happen?
DB: Potentially, but it’s going to be very close. It’s all about… because that game is being written by Matt [Stone] and Trey [Parker]… some of the production process ebbs and flows with their schedule. They are in the middle of a season right now, and as soon as they are done, they get back to the game, and their season takes them out for a couple of months at a time. Again, it’s like I said about Darksiders. We can’t afford to ship it until it’s perfect.
Matt and Trey won’t ship until it’s their vision of this ultimate role playing game, where you’re the new kid in town and it’s like being in a South Park episode. Once all the pieces are together, we’ll announce a date and we’ll ship it. I can tell you from progress and process. I’ve got sections of the game that they’ve completed; they are phenomenal. If you like South Park, and I love South Park, it’s South Park! It’s incredible and it’ll absolutely be the funniest game ever made. There’s no two ways about it.
MF: I’m a fan of Obsidian. Chris [Avellone] and Feargus [Urquhart] are fantastic. It seems like a match made in heaven. When you say that there are segments that have been completed. Are you just talking about dialog, or is there actual gameplay.
DB: No! I’m talking about the game! There are sections of the game where all the voices are in and all the writing and rewriting has been done by Matt and Trey. When you get all the pieces together, it’s what everyone wants it to be. Again, this was their vision. this game came to us. Matt and Trey wanted to do a great game. They had even contracted Obsidian themselves before we came in and, I believe, there was work going on for about a year. They were looking for a publisher to get it involved and pick it up and drive it the rest of the way. That’s what we’ve been doing since the end of last summer; somewhere around there.
More information.

best news there could be. I love delays

I enjoy the show on the rare occasion I watch it. But I cannot muster any enthusiasm for this title at all.

Right on, no reason do it unless you do it right!

When I first heard of this game, I really had no interest at all - I've never really watched the show much. However, as more information has been revealed, it looks like it could be good fun. The idea of a jRPG mechanics with off-color South Park humor has the potential to be a unique, hilarious experience. This one's on my radar... I'm glad they're taking the time to do it right.

I'm totally looking forward to this game. I'm a fan of South Park and also a huge fan of Obsidian. To me this game is pretty much a dream come true. I never expected such a game to happen, which makes me all the more happy.

I'll buy a copy and gift it to my sister that is a great south park buff (to support obsidian) but that is as much as I want to have to do with it.

Come on Obsidian, where is that Kickstarter ?! ;)

I enjoy the show on the rare occasion I watch it. But I cannot muster any enthusiasm for this title at all.

I'll catch the show more often than not, and I still can't muster much interest in this game.

I freely admit to watching the show out of the corner of my eye regularly while gaming. However, I am not the one picking channels with the remote... TV is just a sideshow to my gaming... ;)

There aren't many shows that can go 15 years or whatever it is and be consistently as funny and smart as South Park is. They're geniuses. As long as they stay interested in it I can't see how it won't be great (at least the writing part...I guess Obsidian has to pull off the gameplay on their own).

Hey Obsidian! Release an editor that does nothing but manipulate the camera controls cause you know you're gonna fuck that up anyway.

I love the show but the idea of a SP RPG is laughable and the current season is absolute rubbish, hope that's not obsidian's influence at play.

I'd also like to know how rpg development works when the writers go away for months at a time halfway through development.

Last edited:
I also find the idea of a South Park RPG to be laughable. Which is why I'm looking forward to the game. :)

I'm not a stupid right wing douchebag, so I don't care.

What the hell? Where have the angry complaints and "this game is a joke" remarks gone to? You guys are boring. :(

The game is a joke, we all suck, and the world sucks and is also a joke. Is that good enough for you.:p

Oh I also don't care about this as Risen 2 excites me more. There you have it.

Oh I also don't care about this as Risen 2 excites me more. There you have it.

Well I would certainly hope Risen 2 is better than an RPG based on South Park. :)

That said, I'm going to wait until I see some actual gameplay footage before commenting further.

We have all seen what happens to games when producers are having financial issues. Releasing the game when it is perfect is a nice statement, but it all depends on their definition of perfect.

Back
Top Bottom