Silverfall - Impressions @ Gamespot

Kalia

Watchdog
Gamespot has its own preview of Silverfall, including screenshots.
It won't hurt that Silverfall will look great, if what we've seen is any indication. The game's vast overland environments are picturesque and feature excellent shader and lighting effects to create reflective and refractive water, convincing torch lights, and some very menacing monsters. The game's world will be varied, offering grasslands, deserts, swamps, and various towns of different alignments, and it will be huge. Rousseau suggests that it will take a long time to cross from one end of the world to the other, but fortunately the game will have a quick-travel option that will let you jump to different locations you've already explored on your world map--and various locations will even have merchants to buy up your loot and other amenities, so you won't always have to keep coming back to your hometown if you don't care to. Hopefully Silverfall will live up to its promise and deliver a great-looking, open-ended, and addictive hack-and-slash game when it ships in the US in February.
More information.

I tried the french demo and its pretty impressive. I can't understand anything being said but gameplay is basically Titan Quest and graphically its equivalent - more or less. I like the outline effects and the zoom+pan camera is pretty nice. It doesnt appear you can tilt the camera. They use fog of war in the distance which is probably why.

Maxed out - system requirements seem to be a bit higher than Titan Quest - but I was able to fight 6-7 things at once with a workable framerate, but its chugging <18 FPS. I didnt run FRAPS but its pretty obvious.

Although, my machine isnt a powerhouse anymore so YMMV!

3.3 Ghz P3 (overclocked 960 FSB)
1 Gig OCZ DDR533 RAM
x850 XT PE

That's dedication! Maybe this game will be a sleeper hit. If It's low on bugs than it's got a leg up. I'll get the UK import anyway when it's available. Sudeki was another one I enjoyed that got no fanfare.

Do be careful, and go ordering right away. Monte Cristo's games are known for sounding good in paper that turn out crap in retail.

Do be careful, and go ordering right away. Monte Cristo's games are known for sounding good in paper that turn out crap in retail.

What other games have they done? I can't place them.

Yes, it looks like sims is their thing--at least that's all they have featured---and pretty odd ones at that.

Back
Top Bottom