RPGWatch - 2009 Game of the Year Voting

Voted for DAO , it isn't one of my all time favourites but i didn't like Risen .
Sacred is 2009 made?

That was a mistake due to the console release getting pushed back and none of us catching it before the list went up ;)

And JDR - don't feel bad, I don't know HOW many times I have asked similar questions only to find that I had participated in the discussions myself, especially in the fall gaming / holiday rush!

Drakensang is surely the rpg game of 2009.

I disagree - having played kb-ap, drakensang and dragon age; I went with dragon age. While I am quite critical of dragon age mechanics (the game portion) the presentation of the story was quite good imho. I prefer drakensang gaming but the story presentation lacked soemthing (at least the english version) so it became some what dull (boring?) imho. As a game I liked KB-AP best but that has more to do with the gaming and not so much the rpg.

Anyways I realize all of this is very subjective but that is how I see it. What I often wonder with Drakensang is if the story telling was better in the native language. Conversely what I fear with dragon age is that since (ihmo) the gaming portion is so poor (esp combat) that these dlc will lack the production value and story telling making them quite mundane (though time will tell).

My heart wanted to vote for Drakensang, but objectively speaking, DA:O deserves it more. As for 2010 I did give it to Drakensang :)

As a game I liked KB-AP best but that has more to do with the gaming and not so much the rpg.

I think more people should vote for KB - AP vote for the game, it is obviously categorize as an RPG because it is in the list….. so I don't think it should be rejected just because it is not RPG enough….

2009 RPG of the year: Dragon Age- Origins (most complete RPG experience, compared to other titles listed)

Most anticipated RPG for 2010: Mass Effect 2 (I want to see how the story progresses and how my decisions of ME1 impact the overall story arc).

Like some others here, I also feel that the anticipated RPG poll should have been multi-optioned. In that case, I would have also voted for FO: New Vegas and AoD.

Voted DA:O and Fallout - New Vegas.

DA:O ist perfect entertainment, even if the gameplay mechanics (and the roleplaying portion for that matter) are as shallow as they come.

Drakensang gets an "A" for effort, but suffers from low production values.

New Vegas will hopefully give the "new" Fallout fans a glimpse of what Fallout should REALLY be about.

BTW: KB is not an RPG.

Fantastic Four Of 2009 :)

Attachments

• 2009.jpg
    2009.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 112
This was tough for me. I loved Dragon Age, Knights, and Drakensang. I finally chose Dragon Age because I played it the longest. I only finished Knights of the Chalice though of my top three.

Fallout: New Vegas was a pretty easy choice for most anticipated. If I understand correctly, Obsidian will be using Bethesda's gameworld and engine and then planting their own story in that setting. That's just wonderful! I could be all wrong though. I'm also heavily anticipating Eschalon Book II.

Drakensang is really a wonderful RPG. It has just everything that a role playing gamer wants. But, it had strong opponents in this past year: Dragon Age Origins, Risen and Divinity 2. DAO is the true successor of BG, while Risen for Gothic 2. Divinity 2 is somewhat awkward in some ways, but offers lots of fun.

As for 2010, I've been looking eagerly for Fallout: New Vegas. I have faith in Obsidian that they can bring the Black Isle touch on Fallout 3 engine and gameplay. The other games I wait are Drakensang 2 and Venetica. I played Venetica a bit on the Xbox 360 and very enjoyable game. I'm looking to Drakensang 2 as an expansion rather than a full sequel, but that doesn't prevent me waiting it eagerly.

I was unsure - and whether I should vote at all, having played only so few of these games.

I was not very sure, but thinking about everything, I finally chose Drakensang. It brought back to me my finest memory of RPGing, at least to the greatest part. :)

Voted best Drakensang, for 2010 FO:NV.

Please in the next year add the most disappointing game category. It's FO3 for me and I'm sad for being unable to say that anywhere.

Fantastic Four Of 2009 :)

Nice year, well I haven't yet play 2 of them but anyway.

Voted to see the anticipated list, well DAO despite the ton of weakness in design, and for anticipated, The Witcher 2 Assassin’s of Kings, but I hesitate a lot with DAO2.

EDIT: Arg The Witcher 2 isn't for 2010. Well 2010 announces not much CRPG.

Last edited:
Yes, three of which came out pretty recently, making life very busy!

The titles that I had been waited for years, were released consecutively. Right before the storm, I bought a new comp to make RPG feast. :D

For me it was D&D (Drakensang and Drakensang) :heart:

I think more people should vote for KB - AP vote for the game, it is obviously categorize as an RPG because it is in the list….. so I don't think it should be rejected just because it is not RPG enough….

I agree 100%, I think KB:AP is at a huge disadvantage though due to being released so recently.

Voted best Drakensang, for 2010 FO:NV.

Please in the next year add the most disappointing game category. It's FO3 for me and I'm sad for being unable to say that anywhere.

But Fallout 3 was a 2008 game, so it wouldn't have been included anyway.

Still, thanks for the suggestion - I'll put it up as a separate poll shortly.

Excellent - I can get my Risen disappointment recorded for posterity :)

Back
Top Bottom