The Memory of Eldurim - Kickstarter Now Live

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Memory of Eldurim kickstarter is now live and asking for $150,000 to get funded. I have the usual pitch video and game details for you below.

The Memory of Eldurim

The Memory of Eldurim is an open world RPG. The world in which you live is in constant upheaval. Political strife and religious turmoil are all around you, and not everything is as it seems. Your decisions and actions toward the individuals with whom you interact have far-reaching effects. Should you ally yourself with one faction, another may come to despise you. You will make friends and foes alike in your travels, leaving you to be revered and hated. Choose whom you will serve, destroy, or whom you will lead to victory.

Features

• Open World - Explore an expansive and ever-growing world. From peaceful green forests to barren desert wastelands, we want you to experience it all.
  • Fast-Paced and Strategic Combat - Fight your enemies with your skill and your brain - this combat is not passive and it rewards your strategy.
  • A New Way to Level Up - Choose who you will be by the things you do, not by choosing a class. Every action in or out of combat has an effect on you in the very moment you take it.
  • All Paths of Progression are Viable - No one play style will clearly be more powerful than the rest. All methods and play styles will be separate but equal.
  • Your Approach Matters - Enemies, weapon types, armors, and spells all have strengths and weaknesses. You will be rewarded for your knowledge of your enemies and punished for your ignorance.
  • Evolving Magic System - Hone your magical abilities and unlock new powers through a unique blood shard system. Combine magic and weapons for even more ways to take down your enemies.
  • Frequent and Free Updates - Be a part of the development process as the game grows. Don't wait for DLCs. You buy the game once and you get all updates for free forever.
  • Unique and Dynamic Fantasy World - Face threats you have never before seen as you enter a brand new world. Watch as towns grow and groups come to accept you or revile you.
  • Engrossing Story - A dedicated writer has planned out a story line from beginning to end. Read a short story that takes place in our world here.
  • Made with the CryEngine - The CryEngine is on the cutting edge of graphics and functionality which maximize your game play experience.
  • Co-Op - Join with friends to conquer your enemies through your LAN.
  • Crafting - Gather resources and create powerful weapons and armor.
  • Replayability - Randomized loot and a massive world full of things to do will keep you wanting to play again and again.
More information.

I was more forgiving about the graphics before knowing that they're using CryEngine. But now that I know they're using it, I find myself way more critical.

And I don't want to rain on their parade. It's cool what they're attempting to do, seeing as they're a very small development studio. But, those graphics look on par with Gothic 1. They really need better 3D modelers, texture artists and animators. It seems that you can have a good graphics engine, but if the content that the engine is supposed to render isn't of good quality, it'll still look outdated. (except for a few built-in things that come with CryEngine, like motion blur, fire effects, lighting, etc)

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, I see they're fully aware of their lacking areas, and are going the distance to get artists on board. Cool for them. :)

I was more forgiving about the graphics before knowing that they're using CryEngine. But now that I know they're using it, I find myself way more critical.

And I don't want to rain on their parade. It's cool what they're attempting to do, seeing as they're a very small development studio. But, those graphics look on par with Gothic 1. They really need better 3D modelers, texture artists and animators. It seems that you can have a good graphics engine, but if the content that the engine is supposed to render isn't of good quality, it'll still look outdated. (except for a few built-in things that come with CryEngine, like motion blur, fire effects, lighting, etc)

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, I see they're fully aware of their lacking areas, and are going the distance to get artists on board. Cool for them. :)

Yeah we know we are lacking in the art department, what you see is "programmer art" haha. We have an environment guy that just hopped on our project, and is giving our island and props a complete overhaul. You can check out his stuff here:
http://www.seanmoconnor.com/epic-landmass--a-work-in-progress.html

He is a very very talented individual, and the end result will look much different from what you see.

Frequent and Free Updates - Be a part of the development process as the game grows. Don't wait for DLCs. You buy the game once and you get all updates for free forever.
Good enough for me, other things I won't be nitpicking when I see this.
Backed.

Good enough for me, other things I won't be nitpicking when I see this.
Backed.

Thanks! We really appreciate the support. If anyone did it right, it was minecraft with frequent, large updates. Honestly, there's nothing more fulfilling than watching someone play a game you have created and truly enjoy it. Even if the kickstarter fails, I'll still release updates on the game in my free time because I love making games even more than playing them.

When the paypal option is there i will pledge too.
Seems quite good to me.

Backed. Looks promising…

Some questions though:
- Will you release on GOG?
- When you say randomized loot, does that include from chests/containers or just the drops from the monsters?
- Will monsters (and loot) "level" along with you? Think Oblivion. Because I sure hope not…
- Will there be unique weapons/armor to be found through exploration?
- Will NPCs have "schedules"?
- That "new way to level up" sounds a lot like how the skill system worked in Morrowind. Is it comparable? And if so, how will you prevent players from abusing that (like people "locking" their jump key and having their char jump up and down for hours to max their acrobatics skill)?

That's it for now. ;) Sorry if any of these have been answered before.

EDIT: Also a little disappointed by the stretch goals. None of those really interest me. :-/

Backed too. I hope the exclusive in-game items/quests offered as rewards don't cause flak to the devs

EDIT: Also a little disappointed by the stretch goals. None of those really interest me. :-/

I didn't say but I am very interested in goals below 200K. The goal on 200K and those above it, can't say I'll cry if those are not reached.
I'm conteplating on upping my pledge since I refused to back a few recent (etphonehone, grinder, scam) projects so I have enough cash. And december will be here soon and you know I don't pledge on any project in that month.

Somewhat comes across as a budget alternative to Elder Scrolls. That could be OK if the story and setting are good and they remedy some of the ES deficiencies such as mob scaling and etc., but hard to judge at this stage and I can't really see a USP for this. Single character action combat can get old fast. And I'm a bit skeptical that you can make this kind of game on this kind of budget (1% of Skyrim budget?) given recent releases in FP action genres.

Last edited:
And I'm a bit skeptical that you can make this kind of game on this kind of budget (1% of Skyrim budget?) given recent releases in FP action genres.

I really, really doubt that Liminal Games has 200 developers to balloon their budget...

Superb and probably costly particle texture set = water and fire and explosions. The candle flame however don't need to burn like a bonfire. :D

Don't try to look better than Skyrim, go for unique features NOT seen in Skyrim-like products!

I had to watch most of this twice as I was fascinated by their office location and the amazing view out the window… Where is that?

I also have to say that "McCabe Nickerson" and his United Federation of Planets T-shirt has to be the coolest game-creator archetype I've ever seen.

Backed. Looks promising…

Some questions though:
- Will you release on GOG?
- When you say randomized loot, does that include from chests/containers or just the drops from the monsters?
- Will monsters (and loot) "level" along with you? Think Oblivion. Because I sure hope not…
- Will there be unique weapons/armor to be found through exploration?
- Will NPCs have "schedules"?
- That "new way to level up" sounds a lot like how the skill system worked in Morrowind. Is it comparable? And if so, how will you prevent players from abusing that (like people "locking" their jump key and having their char jump up and down for hours to max their acrobatics skill)?

That's it for now. ;) Sorry if any of these have been answered before.

Monsters and loot will NOT level up with you. There will be different areas, with different level enemies. Some areas will be entirely too difficult at first, and some areas will become a breeze at higher levevls (we hated level scaling in Oblivion).

Randomized loot will come from drops and containers (think Diablo or Borderlands style), there will certainly be non-essential bosses throughout the world with legendary weapons and items to farm.

As far as the Morrowind system, it is largely different because there aren't discrete levels up as in Morrowind, but your health actual goes up from being hit and what not. And we will prevent "cheating" (like in Morrowind how you would have your character run against a wall) by only increasing skill if you have moved a certain distance in the XY plane (so if you are just running or jumping against a wall, you wont get anything).

We definitely like the idea of NPC schedules (and had it in mind for a higher stretch goal actually), and we are sorry to hear that you weren't fond of the stretch goals. What are some you feel would be exiting to you?

I really, really doubt that Liminal Games has 200 developers to balloon their budget…

Whilst I wish them every success, delivering a decent game on the scale envisaged in a year (Date is Dec 2014 on the KS), with a handful of developers would appear to be quite a stretch - or am I missing something?

Monsters and loot will NOT level up with you. There will be different areas, with different level enemies. Some areas will be entirely too difficult at first, and some areas will become a breeze at higher levels (we hated level scaling in Oblivion).

Very pleased about that, yes, indeed. :)

Randomized loot will come from drops and containers (think Diablo or Borderlands style), there will certainly be non-essential bosses throughout the world with legendary weapons and items to farm.

Hm. Legendary weapons, you say. Does that imply unique? Is there any non-randomized loot? Like, a dungeon with some nasty skeletal warriors, where at the end (always) lies the sword of epicness+3?

We definitely like the idea of NPC schedules (and had it in mind for a higher stretch goal actually), and we are sorry to hear that you weren't fond of the stretch goals. What are some you feel would be exiting to you?

NPC schedules would definitely excite me. :D

Anything that enhances immersion, really. More wildlife, for example. And I don't mean wolves or your standard hostile animals, but… butterflies wandering from flower to flower, frogs croaking in ponds, fishes, birds, squirrels, you name it! :) Or dynamic weather: storms, rain, sunshine, …

Also, the "Additional side-professions" goal has me wondering… What do you mean by "professions"? As in smith, miner, innkeeper, whatever? If so, can you "own" a business? And what professions do you intend to include by default?

Sorry for all the questions. It's a good thing though, it means I am excited about this and want to know more. ;)

Hm. Legendary weapons, you say. Does that imply unique? Is there any non-randomized loot? Like, a dungeon with some nasty skeletal warriors, where at the end (always) lies the sword of epicness+3?

Yeah, so bosses will have random loot, and some bosses will have specific legendaries that they carry (that are still randomized to an extent, they would have a unique effect, but the damage and what not would be random on the weapon)

Anything that enhances immersion, really. More wildlife, for example. And I don't mean wolves or your standard hostile animals, but… butterflies wandering from flower to flower, frogs croaking in ponds, fishes, birds, squirrels, you name it! Or dynamic weather: storms, rain, sunshine, …

Yeah we are definitely heading in that direction. Until a week ago, we didn't even have a real environment artist, but now we do. He is doing a complete overhaul of our island, which we will release as a big update to kickstarter in a couple weeks. In the meantime though, you can check out one of his projects here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI3gHTaeKUI

Also, the "Additional side-professions" goal has me wondering… What do you mean by "professions"? As in smith, miner, innkeeper, whatever? If so, can you "own" a business? And what professions do you intend to include by default?

As for default professions, we had mining, smithing, hunting and possibly cooking. For extended professions, we would want to do forestry, fishing, shard crafting. We haven't explored the option of "owning" a business, but it's definitely something to consider. One thing we really want is to have dynamic towns. If you trade with the merchants of a certain town, do quests for them, etc. their town will actually grow (more buildings will pop up and their borders will expand).

Sorry for all the questions. It's a good thing though, it means I am excited about this and want to know more.

Questions are great, they help us articulate the essence of our game, and helps our fans gain an understanding of our vision. Keep the questions coming!

One thing we really want is to have dynamic towns. If you trade with the merchants of a certain town, do quests for them, etc. their town will actually grow (more buildings will pop up and their borders will expand).

I would love to see that. Seeing actual noticeable changes to the game world through actions is something I absolutely love.

And on a side note, that artist seems to be very talented. Between the youtube video and his website stuff I'm looking forward to seeing the end product.

Very pleased about that, yes, indeed. :)

NPC schedules would definitely excite me. :D

Anything that enhances immersion, really. More wildlife, for example. And I don't mean wolves or your standard hostile animals, but… butterflies wandering from flower to flower, frogs croaking in ponds, fishes, birds, squirrels, you name it! :) Or dynamic weather: storms, rain, sunshine, …

Sorry for all the questions. It's a good thing though, it means I am excited about this and want to know more. ;)

I would love to see that. Seeing actual noticeable changes to the game world through actions is something I absolutely love.

And on a side note, that artist seems to be very talented. Between the youtube video and his website stuff I'm looking forward to seeing the end product.

Yeah he's basically the bomb. He might be mad for showing you guys this stuff because it's far from done, but I took some screens of his early stuff he's got going with our new island here:
http://imgur.com/a/PtTzd
iyU0il7h.jpg

LxfNJrSh.jpg

zkZu07Uh.jpg

D1sD3UJh.jpg

An7bb4Lh.jpg

3hAQZHFh.jpg

MGLbSB4h.jpg

L0SMLa7h.jpg

@cozzbp

A suggestion, you (and your team) might want to take some of the Question/Answers from this thread to make a kickstarter update. Not everyone hang out on the Watch.

Back
Top Bottom