Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Interview, Composer Sam Hulick @ The Escapist

aries100

SasqWatch
The Escapist talked with Sam Hulick, the composer for this game. In the interview they talk about that he made music for Mass Effect and that it is
totally different" than on Mass Effect. "With Mass Effect, composers were brought in fairly late in the game, meaning there's a lot of material and working gameplay to look at," he explained. "With Baldur's Gate, especially the material I'm working on now, a lot of it is still being designed, and so I'm working mostly off of concept art and static map art, and of course direction from the team. I think with a more old school RPG like this, you can get away with coming in early, which is nice. There's more breathing room and time to soak things in." He also has the benefit of having a tone set by the pre-existing and much-loved soundtrack from the original Baldur's Gate games. While he hasn't been in touch with original composer Michael Hoenig, Hulick said he made a point of ensuring that the new music would ring true with fans of the game, some of whom had "mixed reactions" to his hiring.
More information.

" "With Mass Effect, composers were brought in fairly late in the game, meaning there's a lot of material and working gameplay to look at," he explained. "With Baldur's Gate, especially the material I'm working on now, a lot of it is still being designed, and so I'm working mostly off of concept art and static map art, and of course direction from the team."

Arguably, this is a lot later in the game than in Mass Effect. I mean.. over a decade after release, that seems pretty late, no?

(and, yes, I get what he was saying - it's a joke!)

Back
Top Bottom