Fallout 3 - Preview @ Gameplayer

magerette

Hedgewitch
Gameplayer has a preview of Bethsoft's upcoming post apocalyptic title, Fallout 3, calling it "the most highly anticipated RPGFPS there is," which sets the tone for the article:
Set a hundred years after the Cold War went hot, Fallout was a cannily scripted role-playing game with ridiculous gore and a soul-wrenchingly bleak outlook on life. You took the part of a survivor who was forced to emerge from his underground vault and confront the horrors of a post-nuclear world. Suffice to say, it built up an enormous, noisy fanbase who’ve been agitating for more sequels ever since the original Fallout 3 was canned back in 2003. Now Bethesda, developers of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has taken on the mighty task of making a sequel.
The game will be using the same engine as Oblivion, though it’s been substantially altered to reflect the game’s focus on mid-ranged combat rather than beating goblins to death with broken twigs. However, the combat isn’t simple first-person combat, despite appearances. The Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System pauses the game in combat, whilst you target certain parts of your enemies’ bodies and they do the same to you. Actions take a certain number of action points, and different attacks will inflict different injuries but only have a certain chance of hitting, depending on your aptitudes and abilities...
The greatest foes in the Fallout series were the mutants, the survivors who had been stuck outside the vaults during the world-obliterating war and who weren’t so friendly to their non-deformed brethren. Worse even than them were the super-mutants – enormous lumps of muscle led by an über-super-mutant called the Master. The best way anyone has worked out of killing them is a bodged-up Nuclear Catapult!
Thanks to an anonymous donor for the tip!

More information.

Last edited:
P.S. The write-up links to the second page of the preview.

So that way you know I read the whole thing before I posted it. ;)

Seriously. sorry for the confusion--naturally you want to start reading at the beginning. It's fixed now. :)

The reason being?

I've never seen so many factual mistakes in one preview. It is full of errors pertaining to both Fallout's setting/heritage and simple facts from the 3rd game (seriously, calling the Behemoth "the Master", ftw?)

Okay, I didn't know that. I never really played the old gamers. Hell, I didn't even read the preview yet. :p But nice to know it's a piece of crap, anyway. ;)

Well, be thankfull we are even gettinga part 3....arcanum never will get a sequel.

Well, be thankfull we are even gettinga part 3....arcanum never will get a sequel.
*sigh*
So be thankful for FOBoS too? What kind of retarded argument is that? Being thankful for seeing the series I loved distorted beyond recognition, is that it? Well, you and they'd better sell that crap elsewhere... Like in Mars or something...

OK nice, lash out because someone is doing something you don't like. You and I both have not played the game, so we have no idea how it will play. Maybe your ass should go to mars instead of lashing out at people.

OK nice, lash out because someone is doing something you don't like. You and I both have not played the game, so we have no idea how it will play. Maybe your ass should go to mars instead of lashing out at people.
Ok, fine, so you can stop bothering me with how you feel about a game you haven't played and stop complaining about complainers because I have some idea about how Fallout 3 will play and about how I'd feel when I'd play it so maybe you should go to mars along with my ass so it can fart on your face on outer space and zero gravity.

[/trolling]

Well strike megascore off my list of places to visit. Nice.

Yeah, this kind of fanaticism is kind of weird. I've never quite understood it. It's like when people screamed that their childhood memories had been crushed by George Lucas when he made Phantom Menace. Sounds a little emotionally unstable to me.

You may be disappointed with the way Bethesda is making this next Fallout game, but it won't change a thing about the many hours of fun you've experienced with the old games. If you're worried it will, simply steer clear of the title.

Well strike megascore off my list of places to visit. Nice.
You wouldn't like it anyway ;)

Yeah, this kind of fanaticism is kind of weird. I've never quite understood it. It's like when people screamed that their childhood memories had been crushed by George Lucas when he made Phantom Menace. Sounds a little emotionally unstable to me.

You may be disappointed with the way Bethesda is making this next Fallout game, but it won't change a thing about the many hours of fun you've experienced with the old games. If you're worried it will, simply steer clear of the title.
Fanaticism? Firstly, I was being sarcastic, and secondly, what about rune_74 that told me to be thankful that there is a game I don't like? Isn't that a bit fanatical?

Anyway, I don't care what anyone thinks, but I'm not fanatical about Fallout. I don't really care anymore either... As you said, I still have the first games, and, thankfully, still have one or two games to look forward to... As long as there is a game in the horizon that will probably satisfy me, I'm fine... Problem is, it won't take much to have no game such as that...

That rune_74 said to be thankful you're getting a next game at all probably had a meaning behind it, such as, "By what right are you complaining? You don't own the franchise; be happy with what you've got!" or something like that. Not that you should literally drop to your knees and praise the Lord(s), because, of course, you as a (excuse me for using the word) consumer still have the final choice of what you consume and how you like it.

Anyways, the sarcasm wasn't readily apparent, I must admit. It sounded more like over-dramatisation, like happens so often when something about this franchise gets released.

It's a waste of time to argue with "the true Fallout fans" - or at least that's my conclusion after reading post after post with their endless bickering and complaining about Fallout 3. They are never going to like *any* new game in the Fallout setting done by *any* developer (well, except for themselves obviously - they know *exactly* what would make a great Fallout game). It's a shame really. It could have been an interesting discussion, but as things are it's best to simply ignore them completely (IMO of course).

They are never going to like *any* new game in the Fallout setting done by *any* developer.

Hmmm, I wasn't going to get drawn into this discussion, but I feel I'm a fairly big Fallout fan (having played the first two numerous times each), and I don't think that comment's at all fair. I'd dearly love a sequel to Fallout. It wouldn't have to be identical to the first two, I know gaming moves on. But I really do fail to see how Oblivion in a post-apocalyptic setting is in any way a sequel to the Fallout games I played? From what I've read, it seems highly unlikely to retain any of the gameplay elements that have kept be coming back to Interplay's two offerings.

I know Bethesda owns the licence, and I know they can do what the hell they like with it, and that's just fine. But telling Fallout fans they should be grateful because they're getting a sequel to their beloved games is just wrong. They're not. They're getting a console-friendly, FPS with some RPG-lite elements, because that's what sells in today's market. I understand why Bethesda's doing that. I'm not angry with that/them. I don't feel any sense of entitlement for them to give me what I, personally, want from a Fallout game. But it's not a Fallout sequel in anything other than name.

Hmmm, I wasn't going to get drawn into this discussion, but I feel I'm a fairly big Fallout fan (having played the first two numerous times each), and I don't think that comment's at all fair.

Well, feel free to apply your own filter to my definition of "true Fallout fan". That's why I put quotation marks around the term :) By your definition, I'm a fairly big Fallout fan as well! I just don't agree with those fans who tends to simply write everything off that comes from Bethesda regarding the FO series. As you point out Bethesda owns the license, so why not try and keep an open mind about their product? To take a quote from this thread:

"So be thankful for FOBoS too? What kind of retarded argument is that? Being thankful for seeing the series I loved distorted beyond recognition, is that it? Well, you and they'd better sell that crap elsewhere... Like in Mars or something... "

Well, I just don't find that to be a very constructive or intelligent argument - and I would be very surprised if that particular poster would keep an open mind about anything regarding the FO series. He is indeed worthy of my "ignore filter". In any case, you don't sound anything like that and therefore my original post is not directed at you :)

What I meant for the fanatics in here was that in todays crpg world the odds of getting a sequel to game you enjoyed and I mean any sequel no matter how much its watered down is next to none. Look at the ultima's or arcanum ( which I was lamenting will not be comming, oh and did you notice they had a sequel planned that would have been like vampire?) they are as good as dead.

You know what I enjoyed Oblivion...was it a great rpg? no, but it was fun for what it was...I also enjoy old school rpg's, and I support alot of the indie devs because they are the ones that wil provide you with the rpg's of old(and sometimes new ideas).

So for me at the moment at least I'm happy I have a chance to revisit the fallout world...is it the exact same as the previous 2? no, but hopefully it will be fun, and guess what at least there is a chance instead of none at all.

PS thanks for the backup kasper

Both sides are isolated. Don't tire yourself trying to understand. I like some new games, for instance... StarCraft 2, probably Crysis, and already released like Gothic 3, Company of Heroes, STALKER, FEAR... of course I don't like ANY game unless Fallout, but that's a side thing, even if paradoxal... :sigh:

No, seriously, don't bother... As I said, both sides are isolated. I write about it, you complain about me writing, you write about it, I complain about you being stupid. As simple as that...

As for the sarcasm, I understand it was not apparent, but it was there.

Back
Top Bottom