The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Yeah, some of those caves can be tough solo; you can get swarmed very quickly. Managed to win the master thief cave solo without too much trouble, but a couple of the others were beyond my level 3 rogue!!

Hey C! I saw you come on. I was on for most of the day yesterday and you and one other of the guildies popped on when I was playing.

So, no one answered about websites with maps, etc. Does one exist?

Yes, there are a couple actually. Let's see if I can find you a URL

This is the easiest: http://ddowiki.com/page/Maps I have another one on my laptop, but can't find it quickly without booting it up.

The maps in this game are relatively useless. Either the dungeons are so simple that they're unneccesary, or the dungeons are set up in such a way that the current map system is useless in telling where to go.

That other guildie was probably me. I've been jumping in an out of my Paladin lately, not playing but moving stuff around with her. All my other characters aren't in the guild yet, since I just made them.

WHAT!! Have you destroyed the famous Sushi??!! :)

Hey all! Sorry for being a no show Friday. I had no internet service for a few days. At any rate I hope everyone has a nice Easter and see you next week. Looks like I will be selling fish this Friday. (Corwin DON"T Say it!) ;)

What!!! would I say anything about Cm being a fishmonger, or a fishwife!! Never!! :)

Lost your net connection did you? Hmmmm....sounds a bit fishy to me!! :p

I pugged with the most foul, useless, pathetic excuse for a rogue that I have ever seen last night.

He did not fight. He refused to fight. This included using a bow and staying back, or flanking and using sneak attack. He simply stayed well back from the party while we fought. He did not scout ahead, and we were forced to rely on my atrocious spot, as well as the monk's. Then we would have to wait for him to catch up, search for the traps, then disarm them. Which might take a couple minutes on some maps, like Gwylan's.

To add to it, he cursed out everything that moved. He spent his time in the party chat cursing at the Clerics (we went through three, because of him), the wizard (who was very effective and very good at what he was going), and pretty much everyone. Thus he not only did not do his job, but run off two good clerics and a good barbarian in the process.

Rest of the pug was surprisingly good; probably the worst was a WF fighter, who wasn't bad, just that only our wizard could heal him effectively. I dropped group after Gwylan's, but we ran all of House P on Hard save ToD.

That's why I'll only play with people in our Guild!! :)

Well, it's a good reason not to take a vital healing role in a pug. But since we only play fridays, unless I want to not play most anything past the marketplace, I have to pug. Gwylan's requires a good rogue for all the traps, and there's several I've tried to solo which are impossible due to design; you need two players for levers.

Well, as you know, I'm sometimes available during the week to team up if you have nothing else to play!! :)

Yeah, if you lived a little closer that might work. But generally my play time has been fairly early, while Australia's lights are (mostly) out. Usually when I play, no one from the guild is on. I check.

I took my new Sorc through most of the Harbor solo today. Only used a lvl 3 Barb hireling for a couple long runs, and only had problems with one run when a rare that I'd not seen before popped up and managed to drop half my hp before I killed it. And it was right before the boss room. Got a nice cloak though, DR3 vs slashing, goes good with the bracers that give DR3 vs piercing. Now most of the time when I do get hit, it's a combination of "blurry" and "0".

This makes me want to test and see how high a DR I can get with a vet built WF now. I might do that on another server; just run and get the spearbane bracers and try for that cloak again, with a WF barb running the two feats that WF get that grant DR. Should be about 5 or so DR from the WF, plus 2 I think from Barbarian. So I might be able to hit 10DR vs Piercing and Slashing weapons. I THINK I might.

*EDIT and UPDATE*
I went to another server and started two veteran characters; a Fighter2/Barb2 and a Barb4 (both WF). Both took Adamantine Body (DR3) and Improved DR (DR1), as well as the WF enhancement (DR1). The Pure Barb had 1DR more, 1 more rage (which also lasted longer), but 1 less STR (due to no Fighter enhancements) and 2 less feats (which meant no toughness + enhancements, thus fewer hp, and no power attack).

The Fighter/Barb did 2d6 + 1 + 1d6 + 17 or 21-36, with a +13 to-hit with Power Attack going. Add +3 from Rage (enhancement boosts this a bit) for 24-39 normal damage, double on a crit (48-78).

21 STR, 12 DEX, 21 CON, 10 INT, 6 CHA and WIS for the Fighter/Barb, the pure Barb had 1 less STR.

So with the Spearblock Bracers and Furor's Hide (Axeblock 3, or DR3vs Slashing) either build would have 10-11 DR vs Piercing and Slashing weapons. Basically, you could ignore most ranged weapons, and many melees would have trouble doing enough damage on normal up through the harbor.

As an added bonus, WF are immune to the exhaustion effect following a Barbarian's Rage.

I have no idea how well this would run; early on I see it being a solid build; but later? I don't normally run pure dps/tanks. This was using whatever starter stuff you get for a Vet build, plus two readily obtained items in level 1-3 quests. I don't view the Improved DR feat as worthwhile on it's on; -1 Damage (which can by bypassed with Adamantine weapons) isn't worth much in the long run.

5Dr/Adamantine actually from the WF feats and enhancement, so it's fairly easy to bypass half of it, while another chunk can be ignored by using a mace. Only 3DR (2 from Barb, 1 from starter item) are not bypassable. So the cost of two feats really isn't worth it. Without them, I could have gotten THF, and Cleave. Or maybe something to shore up my abysmal Will Saves.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're having fun creating these chars. Which do you prefer in the long run, the pure Barb, or the half and half? How about a Barb/Sorc WF combo next!! :)

Beats me, as I only ran them through a couple quests. For purposes of DR, the Pure Barb would probably come out ahead in the end, but the Fighter/Barb gish would have the feats to help with dps. In the long run, I'm certain that choosing feats differently for dps rather than DR would be more advantageous.

I like creating characters. It's always been my favorite aspect of RPGs. I can spend a week rolling characters for Wizardry 7.

Barb/Sorc actually has no common ground, so I think it'd end up being a bit weaker in the long run unless you built it perfectly. Maybe do enough Sorc to get Reconstruction, and have a self-reliant, self-buffed Melee character. But I'd not want to push that through the early levels.

I've been wondering about adding a level of a healing char to a non-caster, just for the benefit of being able to self-heal? Wonder if it's worth the effort in the long run. Probably means raising Wis just to get one decent skill. What are your thoughts?

It isn't. Take a level of FvS or Cleric, and you just get Cure Light Wounds. While I managed to get it up to 30hp healing, that's a rare number, and it way outstripped when you're taking 60-80points damage.

At the very least, take Cleric up to 11 (I think) to get Heal. Which gives you 9 levels to play with. I've seen some Cleric/Monk builds doing that, which gives very high AC, decent DPS, and self-buffing and healing. But there's always a trade off.

For a caster, that means later game stuff will be basically immune to your spells due to the DCs being too low to matter, you miss out on higher level enhancements, etc... Plus higher level, more effective spells. And the SP to cast them regularly.

A 2 level dip into Monk for extra feats, Evasion and WIS to AC isn't bad for a Cleric, since it's -2 DC for a good bonus to AC, and Evasion. Items can help make that up somewhat. Or a 2 level dip into Fighter for bonus feats to boost dps, or whatever, as well as free weapon feats (for an armor-wearing Cleric).

But anything else the tradeoff isn't probably worth it, at least not until some PrEs come out which make them more worthwhile (Mystic Theurge FTW!).

When you're at levels 3 and 4, level 11 seems a VERY LONG way off!! :)

It is. :p BTW, when you get a chance, log on Skype and DDO. I've got a few spell scrolls I figure your wiz has more use for. Mostly level 1 and 2 stuff, been picking them up and holding on to them just in case.

So, question about dragonmarks:

Once you do the quest in The Hall of something-or-other you get access to it in your skills? Is that right? After chatting up Fred you get a respec too which, I am assuming, correlates to the chance to gain the skill for dragonmark. Is that right? I am a bit confused about it.

TY in advance! :D

Back
Top Bottom