The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Do you klnow the purpose of total reincarnation? You can do it twice it seems and get a 36-pt build in addition to some special feats.

The first two times you get 2 additional build points. The main reason is to open up the Past Life feat for your prior class. Apparently, if you manage to TR a character through every class, you get an extra feat on top of all the past life feats.

You're not limited to TR'ing twice, but you don't get any bonus build points past that. Basically, it's how DDO compensates for a slower content release schedule and a level 20 cap.

I'm having a blast solo-ing my ranger. She does enough damage to pull thru (well, she's level 4 going thru level 2 and 3 dungeons right now, so that may change) and her emphasis on spot and search means I'm getting into lots of secret areas, which pleases the complete-ist in me to no end. I'll probably save her for solo work and use the barby or cleric when we party up.

Took my Monk into the Ruins of Thengal today. Left when I realized I was about 5 levels short of being able to do anything other than beat up on giants.

It actually looks pretty nice, and even has a memorial to Dave Arneson in it. I know there's a couple of adventures narrated by him, and a few narrated by Gary Gygax. I can't comment on the quests as none of the quest givers would give anything to such a low level character.

Hill Giants are fun to beat up on though.

Charm Person, Charm Monster or control Undead are powerful spells, but Corwin noticed in the last playing session that controlling monsters aren't always helpful because we then have to wait for the monster to make the save so the effect is dismissed.

I know that experienced wizards, sorcerers and bards can dispel the effect at will and found out how. There is a feat called Dismiss Charm that is very useful to get. Do you have this feat Corwin?

The charm spells are VERY helpful and makes it easier to solve quests on elite. E. g. I played Tangleroot on elite and the battles were manageable when half the hobgoblins were charmed and helped kill the others. The the charm effect could be dismissed one by one so they could be killed.

So getting the Dimiss Charm feat is definitely worth considering for those of you who play bards, sorcerers or wizards.

Dismiss Charm is an automatic feat. (All casters get it automatically) The problem was the spell I had used was Command Undead; I wouldn't know if DC works with that spell. My issue with Charm is that it is a touch spell. Fine if you are one on one, but when you're surrounded, it tends not to be as effective as Fireball!! :)

As Corwin said, all casters get Dismiss Charm. My problem was that it would only work every 5-6 castings. Compared to spells like Hypnotize or Soundburst, which would knock out 2-3 at least on a single spell. Or Hold Person and Command, which I rarely miss with my Cleric. I might miss one out of every 5 or 6 castings.

My Wizard might find better use of Charm, but as Corwin said there; it's so much more satisfying to toss a fireball. ;)

Also, while it might not be in your Solamnic Code, Peter, but you can just leave the charmed mobs be and move on most of the time. Iji is a bit of a pacifist, which is why she carries a staff, not a rapier. It doesn't draw blood, just break bones. ;) Often when soloing, she'll leave stunned/charmed/held groups alone, and move on her way.

Of course, when not soloing, she'll still bash in their heads.

In some sessions you need to kill all monsters for a door to open or the quest to advance. Then a charmed monster will prevent that from happening. So dismissing a charm is quite often used when the spell is cast in the first place. If you have to return to the area then having all monsters killed is a good idea so you don't get attacked by a wandering monster. If you're just passing through the area then charmed monsters can be left behind.

That's why I said most of the time. I actually don't like those instances, since it has been bugged for me before. Either the critter I needed to kill spawned outside of the map, or it never spawned and didn't register with the game that it wasn't there.

Just an update. My rogue is 4k away from level 4. :) I just finished WW and am off to the Cerulean Hills quests. I should get to level 4 after that.

I don't think I will be able to make it friday but the next few fridays I think I will. I'm going on maternity leave from work for the next 3 weeks so I may be able to play. :)

Will keep you posted. :) If I CAN play Friday I will jump on Skype and yell at ya!

Hope you can make it. I haven't been online very much this week. However, as I can be available to play at odd times, always feel free to send me a quick Skype message to see if I'm round and about. If I am, I'll happily jump online and join anyone for a session.

Well, with Peter's help, I got Aerii up to 7. Now I have more sp and a few new tricks up my sleeve. I'll be working on other characters outside of Friday, since Aerii is our closest Cleric in level with the rest of the guild.

My lowest level character is now my level 7 cleric called Peter Policus. I have a level 8 paladin called Peter Stauffenberg. Both of these will be assigned to guild play. The level 8 paladin Karl Peter Aspenstein and the level 9 cleric Rolf Peter Manstein will usually be played with PuG's to get more XP and loot to share with the others in the guild. I will also learn about other quests so we know more about what to expect when we try them out.

I just ran a level 10 quest called "Hidden in Plain Sight" with my Paladin, Rachail. That probably tells you how hard it is at level, though I burned through 3 CMW wands. Loot was disappointing. A +3 Acid Longsword of Shatter was about it. I'm holding it in case someone wants it. The rest was… unimpressive. At least the end reward loot wasn't bound. I did pull a stack of 5 Repair pots though, out of one crate.

Other than the loot being less than spectacular for a level 10 quest, and the XP being worse (2,200XP for a long dungeon), the dungeon was fun. More than once I wish I'd had a rogue with me. It's definitely better designed for party play than solo. I was also amused to cross over into areas from prior quests in the Harbor.

Last edited:
Hey, you could have always Skyped me to join you with my rogue!! :)

It's a level 10 quest, I wasn't sure I could make it through. If I hadn't got lucky at one point, and hadn't picked up Divine Sacrifice and Unyielding Sovereignty, as well as the 4 CMW wands I had, I wouldn't have. I burned through three wands, and most of the 4th. I'm not sure a level 5 Rogue can handle the traps there, much less survive long enough to get to the traps when the mobs are hitting for 10-20 damage a hit. Casters there also love Ice Storm and Dance Ball.

I've been soloing my way thru STK with my ranger. Gotten my ass handed to me twice now. Both situations were sloppiness due to tactical fatigue (got too impatient to properly kite a mob). Unfortunately, the last death was at the final battle with Shag-nasty Of The Helm. I'm not looking forward to redoing the steam tunnels to redo the kobold blockade to redo the hobgoblin town to get to Shag-nasty again.

Well, if you remembered to join us on Fridays, you could do it with the group!! :)

I did do that one with the group... :p Well, I mostly chased after Peter on that one, but I was there. I should be available this week, unless Mrs dte gets her car rear-ended again.

Back
Top Bottom