Two Worlds II - Delay Confirmed in UK and AU

Two Worlds largely sucked.

I actually liked the funny dialog. It was corny and unintentionally funny, though. The cities seemed populated. Graphics were OK, not great. That's all the good points of the game.

Now the bad: Combat was repetitive and lousy. Getting chased by mobs of monsters, whacking them, casting the same boring spells, kiting them around while spamming the heal spell. OK for the first couple hours. Then it's literally the same fights over and over and over again.

Also- Weird, stiff animations. Silly "power-up shrines" dotted the landscape. I didn't like the stackable sword concept, as it just didn't make sense to me. I hate finding a hundred items and sorting through them over and over. The menus and overall graphic design was poor. The opening soft-rock new-age song was embarrassingly bad. The scantily clad sister. Oy vey, what a stupid game.

Again, I think TW2 is looking to be much much better. These setbacks and stories combined with the overall awful quality of the first game are making me very, very skeptical.

Some of the drawbacks you mentioned (e.g. lots of loot, repetitive fights) are typical for this kind of games. Also, some solutions were copied from other games, where they had been praised (e.g. healing shrines, improving items by combining two of a kind). Nevertheless, TW was an unfinished game.

I'm looking forward to this game.

But I sure am burnt out on updates about this game. Been burnt out on updates for about a year now. I don't know if this game had an extraordinary amount of news updates or what, but it seems like its been in development forever.

Two Worlds largely sucked.

I actually liked the funny dialog. It was corny and unintentionally funny, though. The cities seemed populated. Graphics were OK, not great. That's all the good points of the game.

It's a game from Poland and its main market was Germany. The German voice actors were mostly award winning actors. The stupid english VO is Southpeaks problem and should not alter the game's quality. For TW the english VO does not matter!

Grafics okay?
fragland said:
The game has excellent graphics and doesn’t require too high system specs. There’s also quite a lot of variation present and when getting closer to the water for instance, there will be less woods than when you go near a village. At such places you’ll also get a totally different impression than when going on higher surface where you get to enjoy breathtaking panoramic views.

CheatCodeCentral said:
From the menu of the game, you can tell that you are in for a treat judging by the lavish backgrounds on the menu screen.[…] Speaking of the graphics of the game, Two Worlds delivers on its promise of realistic environments for you to travel. The foliage is nicely represented in the game. Even the dirt trails that you travel for several hours at a time are pleasantly realistic.

PlayTM said:
The environment is perfectly rendered, featuring wonderful mountaintops and beautiful open ranges

Seems that you sport a minority opinion.

Now the bad: Combat was repetitive and lousy. Getting chased by mobs of monsters, whacking them, casting the same boring spells, kiting them around while spamming the heal spell. OK for the first couple hours. Then it's literally the same fights over and over and over again.

Also- Weird, stiff animations.

Strange, I thought they were better than those in Oblivion (and FO3 for that matter).

Silly "power-up shrines" dotted the landscape.

Does not compute. Titan Quest has them as well and nobody called them "silly". If you mean the resurrection altars, than you should play on the "Hard" setting. On the other hand those altars were in TQ and Diablo, too.

I didn't like the stackable sword concept, as it just didn't make sense to me. I hate finding a hundred items and sorting through them over and over.

I really loved it. It gave even trash items some meaning and you could literally use the same weapon through the whole game, powering up alongside your char.

The menus and overall graphic design was poor. The opening soft-rock new-age song was embarrassingly bad.

You mean the Track that was there as a single CD in the Royal Edition? It is definitly not my kind of music, but it was written by HAROLD FALTERMEYER, which is not only a Grammy award winner, but also the guy behind "Axel F.". The performing artist AmberMoon is on par with Evanesence and similar bands.

The scantily clad sister. Oy vey, what a stupid game.

Again, I think TW2 is looking to be much much better. These setbacks and stories combined with the overall awful quality of the first game are making me very, very skeptical.

Sorry, Sir, but you are soooo wrong.

Damn. I look forward to this game. Three months delay is such a long time. At least there is G4:A and F:NW.

@Sir Brennus, Do you work for Topware? The original had very serious flaws and that is pretty much globally acknowledged, even the devs make fun of their own first game. Two Worlds wanted to be an Oblivion killer and it was a farce.

Fortunately for the franchise, Bethesda isn't releasing a TES game to compete with Two Worlds this time around. F:NV shouldn't affect sales of Two Worlds because it's basically a total conversion mod, not a full game.

I'm very much looking forward to TW2, but I still acknowledge that the first game was fun but also pretty horrible. We'll see if they learned their lesson.

F:NV shouldn't affect sales of Two Worlds because it's basically a total conversion mod, not a full game.
That comment is a bit hilarious, I wonder what you define as a full game.

A full game ? Just look at Counterstrike !

It's a game from Poland and its main market was Germany. The German voice actors were mostly award winning actors. The stupid english VO is Southpeaks problem and should not alter the game's quality. For TW the english VO does not matter!

That's a ridiculous thing to say, I'm sorry. I'm glad you enjoyed it but the English VO is obviously of interest to English players and the fact that it might be outstanding in a different language is largely irrelevant to those who can't speak that language.

I think developer and publisher are right about worrying and their delay. Because, if you have a solid product in your hand, you don't want to mess that with wrong marketing. In our capitalist world, marketing is everything at the right time at the right place. Many people who visited this site will buy this game, I'm sure about that. But, in order to earn money and cover your expenses (and also to find money and courage to make new games) you must sell your game. And not only to the RPG fans, you must reach to the casual players. Because, it's these casual gamers' money that decides if there will be any sequel or not, not us RPGamers. We are thousands, while they are millions.
Main success of games like BG, Dragon Age or Oblivion was that they could be sold to these casual gamers.
Anyway, waiting is hard, but I hope the final product will deserve our patience. And I hope pirates won't act faster than publisher. If you remember the case with Venetica last year, its' publisher in the English territories was 'Reloaded' :) I hope any of these early releases in other countries won't include english voice overs and subtitles.

Agreed. It was completely illogical, and just plain silly to me.

Is it also in TW2? I hope not.

No, in TW2 you break items down into different types of component parts. Upgrading then requires X amount of different types of components. I believe the more you upgrade an item, the higher amount of components it takes to continue upgrading it.

The new magic building system should help spice up the combat portion of the game.

I have it Pre-Ordered...that's not going to change. Looking forward to giving it a go whenever it hits the street.

I'm currently enjoying the first one for what it is, not what I wished it was...

And having a good time with it. Have actually played it long enough now that the voice work makes me smile and seems to fit the game...rather than the initial cringe I had upon first hearing it lol

To each their own, but I think the game has it's own novelty and charm.

Regards

I think developer and publisher are right about worrying and their delay. Because, if you have a solid product in your hand, you don't want to mess that with wrong marketing. In our capitalist world, marketing is everything at the right time at the right place. Many people who visited this site will buy this game, I'm sure about that. But, in order to earn money and cover your expenses (and also to find money and courage to make new games) you must sell your game. And not only to the RPG fans, you must reach to the casual players. Because, it's these casual gamers' money that decides if there will be any sequel or not, not us RPGamers. We are thousands, while they are millions.
Main success of games like BG, Dragon Age or Oblivion was that they could be sold to these casual gamers.
Anyway, waiting is hard, but I hope the final product will deserve our patience. And I hope pirates won't act faster than publisher. If you remember the case with Venetica last year, its' publisher in the English territories was 'Reloaded' :) I hope any of these early releases in other countries won't include english voice overs and subtitles.

Im sorry to say the release will be multi-language for fans that speak other language so I hate to say this but it will be uploaded and shared.As for Venetica it will never be released in the us it been almost a year since it came out.So in a way you can say reloaded allowed us to play a game we never would have.I hope larian ditches dtp any other publisher who uses them.They don't market games well and dont care about the oversea markets.

@DArtagnan, JDR13

It is good to see other people with a sensible taste in role-playing games. ;)

I agree about Risen, they were certainly playing it safe. While not the most exciting thing to do, it was probably a good move. The game earned critical praise, and hopefully helped Piranha get a foothold both economically and in terms of reputation for their new series. Also, although they were largely sticking with things which were tried and tested, they did refine and improve on some things. For one, the combat and magic systems were really good, in my opinion, and probably an improvement over everything they've done before. I've played through the game both as a rebel and as a magician, and found both greatly satisfying. Also, I liked the new dungeon designs, with traps and puzzle elements. I especially remember the monastery library as something awesome. It felt kind of Harry Potter-esque, but in a darker, more grown-up way. :p Finally, they had some great voice actors in this one. Oh, and I enjoyed the treasure hunting. Hmm, now I want to play Risen again. :)

I think, with the rough, unfulfilled potential we've seen in Gothic 3, and the ability to refine game elements we've seen in Risen, we may not have seen Piranha's definite masterpiece yet. I am more excited about what they will do in the future than any other game studio. :)

Kay

That's a ridiculous thing to say, I'm sorry. I'm glad you enjoyed it but the English VO is obviously of interest to English players and the fact that it might be outstanding in a different language is largely irrelevant to those who can't speak that language.

Does that mean I can dismiss Oblivion on the fact that it had bad German VO and incomprehensible Text descriptions, wrong translations and enigmatic abbrevations?

I NEVER saw anyone putting forward this argument or calling it "relevant", because these errors were part of the localisation process which was done by Take2 - and were not Bethesda's fault.

So, someone calling the Writing, menu texts (or VO) in Oblivion good should be dismissed as "irrelevant", because I speak German as first language?

This is like calling "Son of Streetfighter" (or any other Chow Brothers film) a bad movie because the dubbing is horrible. It does not make sense. It is still an undisputed masterpiece.

@CRPGnut: No Topware employee here. I only feel that the criticism against TW is very Anglo centric and unjustified.

I disagree - so far.

I'm currently playing Two Worlds, and I haven't seen much of voice acting so good that it would make me believe that "award-winning actors" were at work there.

But I must admit that I haven't been following the main plot much. My personal preferrence within this game lies with exploring.

On the other hand, I have already heard voice-acting in Dragon Age that was like putting a giant sign within the game, all flashy and in colours, saying : "We [EA] have the money". I have rarely heard better voice-acting than in Dragon Age, I must admit.

I disagree; there are hints that it might be actually released to the international market one day. http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11428

But on the oher hand : If no publisher outside of Germany wants that game, then it is their fault.

Sadly that is true there was talk about a publisher but I guess they backed out.Then there is talk abot a xbox release only.Well time will tell. Its just like Drakensang ROT
its published by dtp and sofar no english release in almost a year.Its out in mexico though and now we will finially get in the US in a few months.

Two Worlds had stiff animations, so-so graphics and boring, repetitive combat. Is that also the fault of bad translation?

Again, I actually liked the english dialog. It had a sort of goofy charm to it which gave it character. The rest of the game was the bad part.

Back
Top Bottom