Deus Ex - Gets Steamy

I started playing the game again a couple of weeks ago. It is on my list of games that I really want to see all the way through as I didn't finish the first time around. I was positively surprised by the graphics. As I remember it wasn't really eye-candy when it was released but even though graphics have moved at lightning speed since I don't think it's that bad. The characters may seem a little rough on the edges but I can live with that.

Put aside graphics and you got one of the best FPS (shooter/sneaker) ever devised. Your choices have an impact on the story which hardly can be said about similar games and as far as I know you can complete the game without killing anybody (quite a challenge I believe) . Only thing that can seem a little annoying today may be you have to punch in pin-codes/user name/passwords on various security pads and consoles. It's a minor annoyance that can be circumvented by various tools/skills if you prefer another approach.

The graphics ruined a bit my experience with Deus Ex. I played it for the first time a year ago and it just wasn't the same as a game with more up-to-date graphics.
I could though sense some of the qualities why people are fond of the game.

If I didn't have all of these things I might bite ... but the prices seem a bit high, IMO.

I wonder how much Valve charges for publishing the games. Does a (non-Source) developer still get more than he would if he signed with a retail publisher?
According to several casual game developers the relevant online publishers for them lowered the dev´s percentage more and more over the last years. Is this different for full price games?

This is why I pray that outlets like Steam never become mainstream distribution. A game like Deadly Shadows or Invisible War can easily be bought off of ebay for less than $10, but they are $18 on Steam? If there's no box, no CD printed up, and no shipping charge, then I expect to get the game for less. Especially since it's not transferrable like a boxed game is.

They're charging $20 for the original Hitman! No wonder hardly anyone buys anything off of Steam (at least that's what I hear).

A game like Deadly Shadows or Invisible War can easily be bought off of ebay for less than $10

And from brick & mortar stores as well. I bought Thief: DS for EUR 9.99 last year. It wasn't hard to find a copy either.
The Steam prices are completely ridiculous. Unless you are living in a place where availability is an issue (like e.g. Australia, according to reports from Dhruin and Corwin who seem to constantly suffer from bad availability and price gouging), you can always find a better deal for just about every single game on Steam.
VtM: Bloodlines, Thief III: DS and Deus Ex: IW can all be bought new & sealed for half the price of the Steam versions from retail or, yeah, as you said eBay or online retailers.

In case of Vampire you want an English version. The fan patches don´t work with the German version, AFAIK.

Yes, most prices are absolutely ridiculous. You can get the games cheaper if you simply order them at Amazon, Play.com or Okaysoft, etc.

Has anybody heard rumors how much devs receive if they distribute through Steam? The hard numbers are certainly under NDA, but I would like to find out the rough direction.

Back
Top Bottom