Obsidian Entertainment - Project Eternity Kickstarter Launched

An interesting quote (made yesterday by site admin) from sorcerer's place (http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showpost.php?p=778843&postcount=3 ):
For established game designers (especially with a cult following that Avellone has), they'll probably collect a million in under 3 days. They'll probably have 5+ before the end of the month. They're already at nearly 600k…

I mean, putting "Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer" in the first sentence was enough for most CRPG lovers to click the "Back This Project" button without reading anything else, I'm sure.
So true!

They are only missing 200k to reach their goal. They have 4.5 hours left before the 24 hours mark.

Fastest 1 million funding on Kickstarter?

The persuade bonus of being a "legendary developer". ^^

Spiritual successor to Infinity games. Made by Obsidian.
As far as I´m concerned, that´s already a crapload of info for a first Kickstarter day :).

And in that context it was clever not to reveal many details yet. First give all the unconditional supporters the chance to donate money, and then later post new features to convince more people.
Yeah.
Although I´d add that right off the bat confirmation that the setting is fantasy with magic, combat is RTwP and the party consists of player created character + recruited companions is not to be underestimated as far as given info´s value goes.

Last edited:
Almost 950k now... Quite a kickstart to the kickstarter. Amazing. I guess they won't be able to keep it up, but I'm pretty sure they can set some pretty hefty stretch goals...

Oh, and Thank you Obsidian. You're our only hope.

I'm so very happy for these guys. The fervor with which this has taken off just proves how much people crave a return to meaningful RPGs.

Hopefully they can pick up the baton Bioware dropped several years ago.

Must be one of the fastest kickstarter projects to score big time. When I saw those names attached to this project, donating wasn't even a question.

This is also a fun way to show EA and likes of EA that rpg genre is not dead.

Must be one of the fastest kickstarter projects to score big time. When I saw those names attached to this project, donating wasn't even a question.

This is also a fun way to show EA and likes of EA that rpg genre is not dead.

Pocket money for them, so for them the old school type of RPG's are still dead.

A couple of interesting things to note:

-By logging into GOG, you can vote for Project Eternity to be added to GOG by going here.
-They've now reached $1,000,000 in donations.

Hnm, I feel like sour grapes saying this, but I want some more info about the game itself before I pledge. I know who's making it, I know which games inspire it, but what is the game, what sets it apart? What's interesting about setting and story?

Pretty much what I thought. The video, except for a short bit about soul magic and some concept art of an elf, is 6 minutes of name-dropping of developers and past projects.

Which is cool and all, they deserve the kudos. But it left me kinda cold. Intellectually, I'm pleased about this and support them, but I don't have enough details to get emotionally excited by the game itself yet.

It's like announcing that "GRRM is writing a new book!". That's cool and all, but that isn't enough detail to really get me hyped.

Maybe they're saving it for updates, but that seems a bit silly to me. Even the most basic elevator pitch says more about the premise of the game/movie/book/tv show.

I instapledged at $500, which is quite a lot to insta-anything but, hey, if it helps Obsidian develop the game their whole studio was so clearly set up to create in the first place then it should be worth it...

Pocket money for them, so for them the old school type of RPG's are still dead.

True, they won't raise their eyebrows about a couple of million dollars. Action on consoles is still the way to go to make big bucks. But who cares, if even ONE of the games I've pledged for is a success I'll be deliriously happy.

I probably have the highest hopes for this one though. Guess we'll see in a year or two if my faith is well placed.

My problem was similar - it's not if I want the book as we all practically want it ;), but how much can I spare for the next 30 days. Since you can edit your pledge amount later, I've put 160$ (option 140$ plus 20$ needed for shipping) and if it happens I can throw more in next few weeks, I'll definetly do that with "manage your pledge" option.
I'm just saying, take the 140$ option now, as you can raise it later after you decide.
True...

... but I went with the 250.00 option instead. Whatever happens, I want to earmark that money now as "being for Project Eternity". That way I won't be tempted into (or simply forget about) spending money that might otherwise have gone into a pledge.

My "gaming fund" has been pretty much untouched for the last couple years, though, so it wasn't a money issue for me (outside of a general desire to save a few bucks here and there, I mean). Aside from two periods (the Gold Box days, and the IE days), I've always had more than enough money kicking around for those games that I wanted to buy. Just haven't been that many games that I wanted to play.

Thanks for reminding me about the shipping costs, though... will have to adjust my pledge amount to take that into account.

There are the intense times where the quests are deep, every choice matters, and the fallout from choosing one way or another spider webs across the game.
This was the part that I laughed. Would be interesting to see them bring Jeff Vogel along.

From the little info in the video it sounds too generic for me get really excited. But my biggest problem is the "Est. Delivery: Apr 2014" part (add to that the expected delay)... I mean, I might not even care all that much about games until then! (I wouln't care five years ago) It is, however, very tempting to finally see what they can pull off with the freedom that this will give them. Still considering that, if this turns out to be as good as we'd hope, I'd happily pay full price to buy it on release and that it doesn't seem to be in any danger of not making way more than its goal, I'll have to think about it.

Back
Top Bottom