The Witcher - Review @ Wired

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Praise for the story in The Witcher: EE with a review at Wired:
I use the words morality play to describe the plot of The Witcher, because simply calling it a story would be disingenuous. Throughout the game, you're forced to make choices that are rarely "good versus evil" -- instead you're choosing between various levels of moral justification. During the introductory mission, for instance, you're asked to either stand and fight a behemoth monster that has just burst into the castle, or hunt down a wizard in the depths of your dungeon. Wanting to be rid of the wizard (who was almost certainly the leader), I went with the second option, grabbed the rookie of the group, and headed down the nearby stairs. Everything was going fine until the rookie caught a crossbow bolt to the chest and died shortly after.
That sort of "delayed-result morality" makes The Witcher extremely interesting, if only because it will leave you questioning every choice you make, until you eventually realize that life sucks and something terrible can happen no matter what you decide. Personally, I prefer this realistic slant to more traditional "knight saves princess" stories. You might feel otherwise, but you can't deny that it's a unique take on the genre.
More information.

Eh wha??? I just did this a few days ago and that ain't right. You have to go down with the rookie the first time, there is no choice. You can go down the second time with Eccentrica Galumbits...errr... I mean Trish or choose to stay up and fight the beast.

Hie's right, though, even if the example is off whack.

Back
Top Bottom