Risen Chests & lockpicking

Gragnak

Black Knight
Ok.
I found a couple of chests buried under certain locations. The matter is, if you try to open them, you hear the hero saying "I need a key or I'll have to pick it".
Anybody knows if the hidden treasure chests can be opened with a high level lockpick skill or we need a proper key?

Normally in Gothic its advisable to get your lockpick skill up fairly quickly, even the manual recommends it - just do it evenly with your other skills. I am sure other Gothic players will help more.

Normally in Gothic its advisable to get your lockpick skill up fairly quickly, even the manual recommends it - just do it evenly with your other skills. I am sure other Gothic players will help more.

I didn't know this was the Gothic thread....

Ok.
I found a couple of chests buried under certain locations. The matter is, if you try to open them, you hear the hero saying "I need a key or I'll have to pick it".
Anybody knows if the hidden treasure chests can be opened with a high level lockpick skill or we need a proper key?

My guess is you have to have level 3 of lock picking. Just a guess since I'm level 2 and i can't open them either.

Last edited:
I, too, dislike constantly hearing "I wonder WHO could teach me to pick locks" ...

the magic to open them is rather expensive per cast in terms of mana / scroll costs... and nobody is actually selling the rune so you HAVE To find it in one particular dungeon, if you don't, SOL.
I did find it... and i use it now instead of wasting my time on the mini game... but i also have lockpicking 3... there are a bunch of people that can teach it...
If you are order, go to monastery, there is a blacksmith there, he will teach you level 1 and 2... level 3 you can learn from patty.

Worth noting that the Pick Lock spell requires Seal 3, which you'll get fairly late in the game. It's nothing to rely on. Get lockpicking.

oh yea, so for lockpicking seal you need:
1. to be a mage
2. to nearly finish the game and have seal 3 (you must find and read enough books / tablets), i got seal 3 late in act 3, or maybe it was act 4?
3. find the unique unlock rune in a dungeon, nobody is selling it.
4. use up a lot of mana per cast

Good luck... for everyone else, there is lockpicking 3

The best bits of all RPGs are stealing, hence why I spent the first 5 hrs in harbourtown stealing and sneaking. It makes it more exciting and brings back Thief and Arx memories of exploring and "borrowing".

The pickpocket skill is also hilarious, well implemented!

So any ideas as to where you can find the keys for some of them? I dug up a chest from the grave of a "Nameless Thief" outside Harbour town and it needs a key. I used the console to cheat my lockpick to max just to see if it could be opened ( it can't. ). So I'm stuck looking for a key -_-

It's part of the main quest. You get the key from Patty. Don't worry about it untill you're on the quest to find Steelbeards treasure.

They do if you are meant to open them now. At least six chests are part of the main quest, however. These chests can only be opened once you have the key.

They should have changed the PC's expression when you click on them to something other than "I need to pick this, or find a key". Something like, I don't know, "I can't pick this!"... :p

Back
Top Bottom