Hellgate London - Review @ Play.tm

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Hellgate: London is a victim of its own hype, according to Play.tm. Their review score is 79% and here's the summary:
If Hellgate: London had appeared on shelves with no hype and no known links to past gaming glories then we'd probably be sat here at the end of the review chatting about how it was a bit of an undiscovered gem that fused FPS sensibilities with Diablo-esque loot collection and character customisation to provide a thoroughly enjoyable, if slightly unpolished, experience. Unfortunately we don't have that luxury and the game's high profile throws niggles like the repetitive level design, the often dull quests and the stability issues into harsh relief. If all you want is a Diablo clone wrapped up in FPS clothes with some MMO features then you'll undoubtedly be satisfied. However, those looking for, or expecting, some kind of new dawn for the action RPG genre will be left wondering what all the fuss was about.
More information.

So they're comparing the real game to their preconceived idea of what the game would be. Sure, why not?

I admit, I fell for the hype. Yes, I followed the previews religiously, I drooled at the screenshots that were fed to us.. All the "rave" previews by various gaming websites. Then I bought the game. How disappointed I was. This is was not the"second coming" of RPG/FPS goodness - this was mindless, this was repetitive, ... this was not Diablo III as many of us would have liked. Yes, it was not labelled as such, but the innuendo was there. "Created by the same people who were involved with Diablo 2" and many other similar quotes by various websites. Take my advice, and rather play the Witcher. Much much better game, and not as repetitive.
The ratings on all the gaming sites are WAY too generous. Yes, it is an ok game, but not worthy of a near 80% by any means.
My score:
Gameplay 60%: playable, but forgettable. Massive frame rate drop at random times.
Graphics: 75% Average
Sounds: 65%, Voice acting is quite crap
My Total:> 66%
<======================================>

So they're comparing the real game to their preconceived idea of what the game would be. Sure, why not?
The review is a rare example of good games journalism. When a game is the subject of major hype, as Hellgate: London was, it's fair to assume the average consumer is looking to purchase based on preconceived notions. A responsible review highlights where those notions may be mistaken allowing the reader to make an informed choice. In an industry where journalism frequently amounts to little more than an extension of the game publisher's marketing department a review like this is heartening to read.

Back
Top Bottom