Grid Cartographer - Tool For Drawing RPG Maps

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
If your like me you probably use to make maps for old school RPG's just to find your way through a tough dungeon. There is a new program called Grid Cartographer that can help you do it digitally now.
Grid Cartographer is a helpful companion program designed to assist you in playing classic grid based RPG series like Wizardry and Might & Magic.
It improves upon hand drawn paper maps with a number of useful features such as: unlimited map area and floors stored in one convenient place and unlimited notes per tile (pro only).
Grid Cartographer is available in two flavours. The free version provides a good taste. If you like it, why not upgrade to the pro version to experience the full range of features.
More information.

This is a great tool - probably the best lightweight mapping program I've seen so far. When good-ol' graph paper isn't an option, this will be my go-to program.

In just a couple of days since release he has added a lot of new features based on user feedback so it's well worth supporting I think.

Also this same guy apparently solved an audio issue with Wizardry 6 and DOSBox (you can find his fix on the GOG forums).

Hi, I'm the developer of Grid Cartographer. ( I just noticed a huge spike in my web traffic :) ) Thanks for reporting on my project here, it's very much appreciated :)

I'm glad that people are finding this thing useful since it's so niche! I also hope they get in touch if I'm missing out some feature they'd like to see in a future update.

Hi, I'm the developer of Grid Cartographer. ( I just noticed a huge spike in my web traffic :) ) Thanks for reporting on my project here, it's very much appreciated :)

I'm glad that people are finding this thing useful since it's so niche! I also hope they get in touch if I'm missing out some feature they'd like to see in a future update.
Your welcome this would of been handy years ago. I had to personally draw everything by hand. It took way to long. So Thank you for this handy little tool.:handshake:

Hiden Asbestos(is?), where were you hiding that software all these years?!

Good job man!

This reminds me of the tools for mapping dungeons in the DS game Etrian Odyssey ... which I thought were pretty awesome! I just pulled out the old Forgotten Realms Silver Collection ... hmmm ...

Thanks for all the kind words! Wish I'd thought of making this years ago but it only really struck me when Wiz 6 came out on GoG that I needed to make this thing.

Hey txa1265 - maybe this new parchment theme will help you play the Silver Collection games?

slideshow9m-680px.png

I've just update v1.1.2 now with this as a special treat and thank you for all the Pro edition users.

Unfortunately I can't see a single hint on the web site about what kinds of payment methods for the Pro version are allowed/able.

By clicking on the pro button and proceeding the ordering process it mentions creditcard and PayPal as payment options.

v1.1.4 is out. The main added feature is support for doors that take up whole ground tiles. This means you can make maps for games like Eye of the Beholder (hope this appears on GoG soon!), Lands of Lore and Dungeon Master.

How it works is there's a new option on the Edit menu called "Block Based Doors" and if you enable it you get two new ground types available - "Horizontal Door" and "Vertical Door". These two new options place the current door type into a tile. This, combined with the 'Block' tile type should be all you need to make maps for these games.

As a convenience I've added a little dialog box when you make a new map (Ctrl+N) to explicitly ask you about this option, but you're free to switch it on and off again later - potentially even mixing different types if you want (I'm not sure why but I didn't want to rule out edge cases such as using the Edge Hazard door type - this is an art package after all and it just needs to look right to the viewer, not the computer).

Hope you like it. Download from the usual spot here: http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/

Unfortunately I can't see a single hint on the web site about what kinds of payment methods for the Pro version are allowed/able.
Thanks for pointing that out - I've added a bit at the bottom to explain who is handling payment for me and what ways there are to pay.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I've just released v1.3.8 of Grid Cartographer.

Grab the update / free edition here: http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/

Here are changes from the latest version:

* ADDED: New 'start' screen with quick access to recent files and new map type selection.
* ADDED: 30 x 30 major grid lines setting for The Bard's Tale.
* ADDED: Per-map file saving of block-based / edge-based setting. To make switching games easier.

* PRO: Rotate and Flip actions (and keyboard shortcuts) now work when pasting and moving regions.
* PRO: Rotate and Flip actions are context sensitive - if you have dragged out a selection then only that region will be affected.

* CHANGED: The fill area tool now keeps the selection active, allowing you to drag it around and quickly paint several areas.

* FIXED: Keyboard shortcuts on transform > rotation menu options were incorrect.

v1.4.0 released!

Here's a link: http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/

Change Log:

* CHANGED: Border tool renamed 'Stroke'.
* CHANGED: Tweaked wording of 'remove custom tile set' option.
* CHANGED: Improved wording of exit with unsaved changes message.

* ADDED: Close button on brush selection menu.
* ADDED: Stroke toolbar icon.

* FIXED: Limit grid and top-left origin modes didn't work together.
* FIXED: Create border (CTRL+B) and top-left origin mode didn't work together
* FIXED: The 'Simple block' brush was showing in colour on the toolbar.
* FIXED: Some Windows message box icons were wrong.

Back
Top Bottom