Grim Dawn - Previews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here is a collection of previews for the early release version of Grim Dawn.

Gizorama

Graphically the game looks good during gameplay and is extremely impressive considering the age of the engine it is built on. The UI though has a very dated feel to it and lack the polish of more modern games. Since the game is still in alpha, this could be something that will get that polish especially if feedback directs the devs that way. Core features of the game are missing currently and are planned to be added before the game is finished like cooperative multiplayer and item crafting.
GameNGuide

Multiplayer should benefit Grim Dawn greatly, as tearing through enemy mobs is likely much more fun with a couple of partners. The team at Crate has done a fine job crafting a unique world which should continue to be improved in the future, even if it has its share of problems now. The Early Access alpha is very playable, so if you're a fan of the action RPG genre I would recommend checking it out on Steam. Grim Dawn might not be for everyone, but fans of the genre will appreciate its traditional roots, attractive graphics and tough battles.
Front Towards Gamers

Grim Dawn isn’t mind-blowing, original, or engaging. While it’s certainly a good game, it’s also not really ready for a market. It lacks identity that makes ARPGs like Path of Exile and Marvel Heroes stand out in a crowd. It looks and plays like a generic Diablo clone, so while it may introduce some neat concepts, it’s only really picking and choosing from similar genres.
Gamingtrend

That’s the best thing I can say about Grim Dawn at this stage of the game: it just feels right. It’s not groundbreakingly innovative, but Crate Entertainment is managing to hit most of the notes that make dungeon crawling so compelling – an interesting world, customizable characters, loot and even crafting – while still engaging the player with the world. The game is shaping up to skew towards a single-player or friends-only co-op experience, rather than the largely impersonal quasi-MMO grind that Diablo III is, and this is a welcome development. It means that fun can take a priority over strict balance, which is probably why the title boasts a faction system where you can ally with some in-game organizations (and consequently make others hate your guts), opening up the possibilities of different quest experiences, and quite possibly different environments or even abilities and loot to go with it. If you’re looking for a loot-grabbing, dungeon-skulking experience in a dark, dank world that feels like Dark Souls with rifles and handguns, keep your eye on this one.
And a video preview by Vertigo Tea Party.

More information.

Running around and shooting a rifle or guns has never impressed me in ARPG's.
Quite the contrary. And almost all of gameplay footage I saw is just that.

Running around and shooting a rifle or guns has never impressed me in ARPG's.
Quite the contrary. And almost all of gameplay footage I saw is just that.

You can play melee or spell classes as well.

Find Kasparov's apprentice? … I'm sure Magnus Carlsen wouldn't admit to that.

Looks pretty competent looking at the video - but what does it do that Van Helsing or TL missed? Couldn't spot anything obvious.

Find Kasparov's apprentice? … I'm sure Magnus Carlsen wouldn't admit to that.

Looks pretty competent looking at the video - but what does it do that Van Helsing or TL missed? Couldn't spot anything obvious.

The apprentice is a chick, who doesn't enjoy rescuing damsels?

I haven't played VH and TL2, but what makes this game unique is the dual class option, the setting (Victorian steampunk, unique enemies, scavenged weapons and armor, different factions you may align/oppose), LAN multiplayer, mod support. Also the gameplay is very polished and satisfying, but surely you will not notice until you play it.

You can play melee or spell classes as well.

Yes I am aware of that.
I just pointed out that most of the videos (or at least the vids I saw) are putting an accent on gun powder combat. :)
Which I don't like so much, in RPG's of this tipe.

Yes I am aware of that.
I just pointed out that most of the videos (or at least the vids I saw) are putting an accent on gun powder combat. :)
Which I don't like so much, in RPG's of this tipe.

To be honest, those videos are made by testers or (p)reviewers, so what you see is what they have chosen to show; maybe the class they found 'appealing'. By no means is what the developer has focused on, as far as I know. But I assure you the melee classes are well worked, and very fun to play with.

To be honest, those videos are made by testers or (p)reviewers, so what you see is what they have chosen to show; maybe the class they found 'appealing'. By no means is what the developer has focused on, as far as I know. But I assure you the melee classes are well worked, and very fun to play with.

I have no doubt that the melee classes are good, I will play it just like that.
And the game does look good. In this video you can see clearly the TQ style and TQ is one of my favorite ARPG's.

I thought TQ was a really good game and I've enjoyed dinking with Grim Dawn thus far even if it doesn't quite have as much character (running around beating up undeads is pretty generic vs TQ's content).

I couldn't get into VH at all since it just felt like a rehash of so many other games but maybe I should give it more of a shot. TL2, IMO, is one of the better ARPGs rivaling even diablo for uber.

But why do people feel the need to pick ONE or even TWO? More of anything good is a good thing isn't it?

Lastly, if I get a domain name and post my opinions online does that make me a reviewer? Because there seems to be no lack of off the wall sites from out of nowhere these days and the writing and reviewing is about on par with an opinion that could be posted here, on any forum, on metacritic, on twitter - whatever. That is, it's really nothing special and is just an opinion (which really, is what ANY review is when you boil it down but at least the better reviewers try to have some objectivity and knowledge of what they're talking about instead of just spewing pure opinion).

Back
Top Bottom