Gothic 3 So I fired up Gothic 3 again, this time with patch 1.12..

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
That's right. I haven't played it for a few months now, and figured it was time to try it again. However, after installing patch 1.12 I'm getting a mysterious bug: When Gorn is supposed to take you to the rebel camp, at the very beginning of the game, he suddenly vanishes as we approach the camp, and I get a "Quest canceled".

After experiencing such a serious bug on one of the first quests, I doubt I'll keep playing for now. Who knows what bugs will appear later on?

So, my question is this: Have any of you experienced this bug before? If so, did you have any problems later on?

Have a nice day!

I suspect the problem is probably a mix up with the quest script triggers in that the script thinks you made it to Reddock without Gorn. All I can say is try it again keeping behind - and in sight of - Gorn at all times until he stops just outside the base entrance. He should be standing waiting for you so he can deliver his "well here we are" message.

All the Gothic 3 “follow the NPC” quests are very easy to break because the NPCs frequently fall/walk through the world mesh. Patch 1.12 has done little to improve this.

I tried that, and here's the strange thing about the bug: The message sequence actually starts - Gorn starts talking, and in the middle of the first dialogue he vanishes, but the dialogue keeps going untill the end. I still get quest failed, however, and Gorn is gone.

I personally believe it's the trigger telling Gorn to go to Gotha that triggers too soon, meaning he gets moved there while finishing up the quest, instead of after it.

The real question is - will this keep happening? Other NPCs might have the same bug, which means I'll get a whole lot of failed quests as NPCs are moved before the quest is over. Oh well, I suppose there's only one way of finding out: Try.

Can't be that he gets moved there. I remember reading that the Gothic 3 engine PB made explicitly forbids that; that is, every NPC must move naturally through the world and it cannot instantly move NPC's around.

Other than that, I've never heard of this bug.

This is a known bug (listed in the bug-tracker - not fixed, yet)

It happens when you are trying to go with Gorn to Reddock, without speaking with Lester before.

The quest is broken and Gorn is sitting somewhere in Reddock forever.

Maybe he fell through the world like a lot of other NPCs (Lester likes to do that as well - a lot of people have never seen him at the beginning of the game)? Did you try "goto Gorn" to find out where he ended up?

Anyway, the kind of problem that you experienced is one of the main reasons why Gothic III is so unfun in its current state. The game and its bugs are completely unpredictable. It's just not a lot of fun to play when you constantly have a feeling that things around you in the game might not be working as intended or that you might be missing out on meeting important NPCs because they decided to take a little break from their duties by falling through the world. Kinda ruins the whole experience. Patch, please.

yep ... same here .. the game is seriously flawed atm... and 1.12 is not a patch
i just checked jowood forums and there is still
1) no communication from the devs (patch 1.12 released 21 dec 2006) and then one word from KaiRo that they will not leave us with an unfinished product :p
2) no info at all
3) no info :(

This is a known bug (listed in the bug-tracker - not fixed, yet)

It happens when you are trying to go with Gorn to Reddock, without speaking with Lester before.

The quest is broken and Gorn is sitting somewhere in Reddock forever.

lol kinda morbid when you get to think that this is just the beginning of your "quest"

Actually, I tried doing it in many different ways, and he dissappears no matter what. He is instantly teleported to Gotha, where you meet him later and everything works out fine. It's probably just a trigger that moves him to Gotha prematurely.

Weird, I remember distinctly PB saying that this never happens in Gothic 3, i.e. all NPC's actually walk to where they should be (hence the bugs with NPC's disappearing, getting stuck on stuff, etc.)

They do teleport, but they are supposed to do so only when the player is not around, so you should never actually see it. For example, if you run directly to the Monastery, Milten will still beat you to it, despite walking at a very slow pace. However, if you follow him, you can walk with him the whole way.

Milten is an odd and probably bugged case. I've never had him reach the monastery before me, and in my first game it took me 60 in game days to get there. console and goto found that he'd only managed to get about 80% of the way there at that point of time.

Oddly enough he seemed to teleport after I'd killed the goblins and ice golem that was nearby...

Didn't experience the Gorn bug even with the previous patches 1.08 or 1.09. The falling trough the walls/ground thing however is still very existent and thereby very annoying. At least patch 1.12 made sure that my main quest wasn't failed at the start of the game anymore (Fire Chalices quest became failed when I entered Cape Dun).

Also today I finished Gothic 3 for the first time. I have to say that in for 75% of the game I tried to prolongue every quest so that everything was solved in a way that benefited me with the most LP. (ex.: Killing Raiders near Bakaresh after you made contact with them and got everything ready to attack Bakaresh) Then I suddenly got tired of this approach and just went for the Innos path. I must say that I'm dissapointed with this ending. Gothic 2 had a much better ending then this one and I just hope that they will make a hell of an addon to purify this game till it reaches the standards Gothic 1 and Gothic 2+Addon set for it.

the innos ending is disappointing because innos is a dissapointing god;) try adanos--its nice to see balance when for a change...

I've completed it six times now, but I only followed Beliars path once, and I actually enjoyed that the most - not storywise, but in terms of gameplay; you actually get to use all that power you've gained.

So which did you guys enjoy the most, story-wise? Although I'm STILL only in Mortera, I'll eventually have to make the choice. :D And while I can just make the decision from a role-playing perspective, I wouldn't want that choice to be the least interesting one.

I'm leaning to the rebels' cause right now, but I'm also playing with the idea of just siding with the orcs. I'm a bit iffed after getting played by Xardas in Gothic 2. :D

I feel balance offers the most in terms of story, but that path is not clear to you yet if you are still in Myrtana. Don't worry, regardless of your choice there, balance is still available. However, if you want to follow Innos, you have to side with the rebels, or that path will be closed. Beliars path will still be open regardless of what you do in Myrtana, so don't worry about that. :)

Back
Top Bottom