RPGWatch Feature: Hands-On With The Witcher 2

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We had the chance to spend around a dozen hours with a preview version of The Witcher 2. Here's a sample from our hands-on look:
Structurally, the game is similar, with chapters and discrete locations, rather than a single continuous world. I didn't get the chance to travel to a new area (other than the transition from Prelude to Chapter 1), but it seems the game will offer a semi-linear progression with changes to new major locations as the story unfolds. Based on the village of Flotsam and the surrounding forest, swamp and shores, the areas are larger than the original game. Throughout the forest are paths that intertwine that you need to broadly stick to but they've done a much better job of disguising the restrictions than the first game: obstacles and boundaries exist but I didn't see the sort of "small garden fence" barriers that frustrated some gamers in the original game. In addition, while you can't actively jump over objects, the team has implemented interactive "hotspots" where Geralt can climb or drop down. Together with the better level design, this makes it feel more natural and less enclosed. This change means the team has been able to create more interesting terrain with a sense of height, allowing Geralt to climb down over rocks to reach a river below, for example.
Read it all here.
More information.

Thanks for the hands-on, Dhruin. Sounds like I can order this without waiting for reviews. I really liked the first one, and it seems clear that they didn't screw it up for part two - that's pretty much all I need to know. The only thing speaking against this plan is the 6 games backlog I have from various steam sales (sigh). But maybe I'll do it anyway, it would be fun to discuss the game with you guys while its new for a change...

Yep, an incremental overall refinement, pretty much as expected…

Good!

Thanks Dhruin for the reserved and down to earth preview ;)

P.S: leaving aside the daydreaming about how they could have opened up the world a bit
(not beating that dead horse anymore), the only thing that bothers me are QTEs.

I mean what were they thinking ? How could they improve anything ?
Well, they are optional at least …

Last edited:
Yep, an incremental overall refinement, pretty much as expected…

Good!

Thanks Dhruin for the reserved and down to earth preview ;)

P.S: living aside the daydreaming about how they could have opened up the world a bit
(not beating that dead horse anymore), the only thing that bothers me are QTEs.

Well, they are optional at least …

There damn well better be an option for it I hate missing a key and dying. I for one will be turning off the QTE'S the game is not drake fortunes were they fit the game.

After reading the whole preview... Am I too silly expecting that TW2 will sit on next GOTY throne?

But maybe I'll do it anyway, it would be fun to discuss the game with you guys while its new for a change…

Hmm, seems most of you will be playing it on release from GOG. I may be one of
the few unlucky sods that will have to wait a week+ for it by post (The Greek postal
service sucks seriously) so I better skip the forums to avoid all the spoilers :)

So, Have fun you lucky early birds you :brood:

After reading the whole preview… Am I too silly expecting that TW2 will sit on next GOTY throne?

Don't see why not DA2 wont be getting it the only real contender for this year is Skyrim. If it meets its release date.

Good to know that my expectations might have been met with this game.

I never really had a problem with the timed combat and actually liked it, but from what you describe it sounds like this might be better. Although with all that rolling I can't help but think of Jade Empire.

Naaahhh, I've already seen the combat in action and while rolling may indeed need to be part of my tactics I don't think they took it to the degree that Jade Empire did. At least you're not flipping over their heads. ;)

And props to you for including the word "verisimilitude". I just learned that word over at Rampant Coyote's blog and I will always try to use it now. It looks too cool :D

Question is can you use that save on the final version? It would be a bummer to start over on release day!

Great preview!
Good to know z-axis seems to have gotten some love this time.

the only thing that bothers me are QTEs.
Well, pub minigames aside, it´s most likely an attempt to make players feel more involved during some cutscenes.
Changing the choreography/design so that these scenes could play out with players having Geralt under full control would be a lot better, but probably not economically/logistically all that viable.
Anyway, making QTEs optional in these cases was certainly a smart move.

If i understood that correct there are difficulty spikes ?
I sure hope so :).

Last edited:
I already pre-ordered the game (on GOG ofc) because quite honestly i feel the game can't possibly disapoint to the point that i feel bad for the € 50 i spend.

In the worst case scenario, the game is linear and doesnt have as much of "choice and consequences" or those that are present are merely cosmetic, but even if that does pose true, i'm sure the rest of the game will be more than enjoyable to warrant the € 50 fee.

Besides, its a PC exclusive done by a non-gigantic developer and the game looks realy realy good, we should give it a chance.

About the preview, i havent read a single preview so far that let me think "hum, perhaps i should think twice...". All are very positive to the game. Some more "hardcore" RPG sites say one or two things they dont like at 100%, but generaly very very favorable.

If its as good as Witcher 1 its enough for sure preorder.

But i guess it will be better, much better.

Good read!

Pity to see the point-and-click system go, as far as navigating around the world goes. I kinda liked that.

Combat sounds a lot better? but could it be possible to get some more details about that ??? also it would be nice to get more info about the character development! To know there are four different categories doesn't say much?

Are there any stats or other numbers???

They pretty much lost me when they got rid of the zoomed out view with point and click. I have a real low tolerance for OTS/FPP WASD games.

I preordered a while back, through the link here, so I've been waiting for this a bit. Glad to see that it's meeting expectations. I hope to finish Avadon before this gets released because I know I won't go back to Avadon once TW2 arrives.

Back
Top Bottom