Avernum 6 - Review @ IndieRPG.com

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I'm going to introduce IndieRPGs.com by way of their Avernum 6 review. Craig Stern, the developer of the Telepath RPG series, dropped us a line to point out his new indie RPG review site.
The score for Avernum 6 is 4/5, with the writing praised but aspects like the party portraits and animations criticised. Here's a snip:
The writing in Avernum 6 is truly the game’s backbone, and it ranges from competent to quite good.
Though Jeff Vogel’s characterizations occasionally lack consistency, he has a way with words, and his curmudgeonly narrative voice provided me with chuckles on more than a few occasions. You’ll spend a lot of time exploring, talking to people, and searching things. The dialog and descriptions you get of the game world will arguably provide most of your moment-to-moment entertainment value while playing, so it’s good that Vogel has taken the time to do this well.
More information.

Pretty good and insightful review, especially for this being his first Avernum game. I had wondered if someone could just pick up A6.

You pretty much can...each one is a new version of the one before.

Yeah, you can pick up any Avernum or Spiderweb game. The controls are always clearly explained, as are the backgrounds of locations you run in to.

But man, familiarity helps on Avernum 6. Not gameplay-wise, but enjoyment wise. It has a lot of throwbacks to older games in NPCs and locations, and ties a lot of loose knots. Personally, I love it, and think it might be the best Avernum I played, but it might not be the best one to start off with.

Avernum 6 is a grand final to the Exile/Avernum series.
Tons of quests, little stories,secrets, unique items, challenging combat ...

You can play Avernum 6 as a standalone game, but it is much more fun, if you know the personal stories of Solberg, Erika, X ... from Avernum 1 to 5.

Two thumbs up!!

The whole sequence with X was so awesome I nearly pooped my pants.

Back
Top Bottom