Gas Powered Games - Dungeon Siege III Revealed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
So, looks like Chris Taylor is adding a fantasy skin to Space Siege for Dungeon Siege III. From Eurogamer:
Speaking exclusively to Eurogamer Germany, he said it would do away with the group focus of the previous games in favour a single hero similar to his current project Space Siege.
"There will be some things that are very much like Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, but some things will be simplified. I am done with multi-character parties; I really think that it's all going to be about a single hero. It's too much to manage," Taylor told our German network buddies.
More information.

You've got to be kidding!! Talk about dumbing down games!! What could be simpler than the original DS!!!! Run, Fight,Drink; rinse and repeat!!

As if the game wasn't simple enough. While there wasn't much of a party interaction I enjoyed the changes that were in DS2 and the strategy in creating your own party. That made some of the tougher battles more interesting as each member had a role to play while not boring you with much micromanagement. Lame.

You've got to be kidding!! Talk about dumbing down games!! What could be simpler than the original DS!!!! Run, Fight,Drink; rinse and repeat!!

That was my thought exactly... I mean the first DS basically played itself, and he wants to make it easier...

Good old Chris isn't just going for the casual gamer audience... he's going for the braindead gamer audience ;)

This (just like Dungeon Siege 2) will be at the top of my "NEVER buy" list.

The ONLY reason I bought the original was to play Lazarus, and now eventually U6P-Archon. Like you narpet, I won't be buying DS3.

I've been trying out b(finally !) the DSII demo I got on DVD (but not knowing it was a DVD until I tried to read it with my CD drive) on the Games Convention in 2004 ... And i must say that it is much better than DSI. Quite a step forward !

But now as I read this, how can DSIII even be simplified ??? Is this possible ??? I thought.

Oh come on now. There was a part in the middle where you could go clockwise or counterclockwise around the swamp. How much more choice do you want?

I think that's where I quit playing; I couldn't decide!! :)

Same here - that's one gamebreaking choice!

Personally, I preferred the way through the middle of it.

Of course, the characters became a tiny little bit wet in this process ...

But the goblin flamethrowers instantly dried them ! :)

I've played far worse games - the Diablo-pack included. DS:LoA as well as DS2 were actually fun and had some interesting story, too. Never played the DS2-addon, tho.

Run, Fight,Drink; rinse and repeat!!
Now that really reminds me of TES3 and even moreso TES4. Shallow games were you don't really do anything - they weren't even fun. Totally overrated.

Mind you, I'm not saying DS games are something outstanding and innovative but they are fun for what they are. You at least know what you'll get. Like a Bruckheimer summer blockbuster were you know that you'll at least be entertained - just don't expect intellectual, moral, ethical discussions.

We have to live with the fact that there are no Ultimas anymore and I suppose there never will be.

Oh and nothing tops the dumbness that is World of Warcraft - I'll take DS over that any day. ;)

Well, DS was fun, yes, but in a very low-level sense.

Such a low level *caqn* be fun for some time, but not always. It's like a hamburger: Tasty, but not nutritious.

I could't live out of hamburgery all of the days.

Plus, my mind/brain just screams for food, sometimes, too. Which is something that is more & more neglected by some game publishers and makers.

We have to live with the fact that there are no Ultimas anymore and I suppose there never will be.

While I appreciate guilty pleasures as well, I'd have to disagree that RPGs of Ultima quality are no longer being made. Most would agree that games such as The Witcher, Eschalon, Gothic 2 (and maybe 3), and possibly Two Worlds, live up to that standard. Maybe NWN2 (I'll find out soon but most folks seem pretty positive about it). Good sales are leading to sequels. I've been pretty satisfied with the RPG fare of late.

DS1 was just an interactive screensaver. DS2 was actually fun to play, but still too dumbed down.

I played ds and had my fun. After I finished it I never touched it again, it was a fun ride for once but no way to do it again. Ds2 played the demo, felt like more of the same for me.
DS3? hah won't even try the demo
make it simpler than ds? uhm just ah movie is like the only way possible

Cool I enjoyed ds1 and 2. plus I felt that the parting system sucked. . I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

It was the party system that made the game a screensaver. Without the party the player actually has to do something so this will be a step in the right direction. However, at that point, unless there's a lot of character intereation and dialogue, he needs to stop calling it an RPG.

I got a lot of hours out of DS2, enjoying it for the mindless stomp that it was. Given that the most enjoyable part of the game for me was collecting and outfitting my toons in unique item sets, dropping back to a single character is a major step back for me. I will definitely think twice before buying DS3.

Why has "party-based" become a dirty word? Even NWN2 (which I just started) is using a single-plus-recruits system. I miss the days of building 4-6 characters and meshing their skills into a master killing machine. I'm such a dinosaur.

Count me in on the DS1-was-horrible crowd although I enjoyed Ultima 5 Lazarus a whole lot. I didn't (won't) try DS2.

Hmmm.. it's not much of a Dungeon Siege with only one person. You might as well call this Dungeon Lords 2. Oh snap!

Back
Top Bottom