I love a story with a happy ending.

If we can prove without a shred of doubt that the intention to bring harm was there - then MAYBE it makes sense to assign blame and punish. If we can't establish that - then this isn't about the people involved, but about our own inability to accept that shit happened and there's no reaction that will make it all better.

I also think part of it is the desire to see if we can learn something about why this confluence of events might have happened so we can mitigate them in the future.

I also think part of it is the desire to see if we can learn something about why this confluence of events might have happened so we can mitigate them in the future.

One would hope so, but it seems to me that most people are busy condemning someone before they get busy establishing what actually happened with any amount of certainty.

If you start out establishing something that's not actually real - and rather some fantasy scenario that your brain can get a hold of - then you're not learning. You're actually doing worse than not learning, as you're creating a perception that's not based in reality.

That's something I consider extremely harmful - and it will only serve to perpetuate a fantasy until such time as unreality becomes your world.

What I was saying was:
- The initial 'profiling' marked Martin as suspicious based on a racist presumption.
You state this as fact when the reality is that you're making assumptions based on your own personal bias. You have absolutely no clue why Martin was "marked". Please stop.
It is also interesting that gun deaths have increased significantly in states with 'stand your ground' laws (even if that law wasn't part of the circumstances) … even as the rates drop in every other state. More guns, more 'gun friendly laws' = more death.
Indeed, when law-abiding citizens are given the tools and legal standing to fight back, more criminals get shot. More death, indeed. Are we supposed to be surprised by that stat?

But with the 'Stand your ground' law it does not always come to that. Now people (can) get away with murder. I would not be surprised if some people would carefully study the demands of the 'Stand your ground' in advance before deciding how to kill a certain person.
You can put your tinfoil hat back in the closet. That advanced planning has been possible for decades- the saying about making sure you drag the body into your house has been around for years and years.

As someone who doesn't believe in the reality and omnipresence of racism … you have the 'wrongness' market sewn up.

But such is the way of the white privilege, talk radio fed modern tea party racist … probably also go around saying you should be able to use the N word, that reverse racism is a thing, and wondering when it will be WHITE history month.

Oh well.
Boy, Mike, that was uncharacteristically asshole-ish, and rather ignorant to boot. What's up?

Everyone reasonable gave up on evil nazis when they saw the pics of the bloody head, big surprise though that didn't slow down some people in the least. Also didn't stop the prosecutors from trying to railroad someone they knew damn well was innocent, for their own political gain. Even all the prominent jewish civil rights lawyers are with zimmerman on this one but then they might be biased.
Actually, the real prosecutors declined to press charges. They freighted in a special prosecutor to force the issue shortly after Obama pulled his "Trayvon Martin could be my son" racial baiting.

One would hope so, but it seems to me that most people are busy condemning someone before they get busy establishing what actually happened with any amount of certainty.

If you start out establishing something that's not actually real - and rather some fantasy scenario that your brain can get a hold of - then you're not learning. You're actually doing worse than not learning, as you're creating a perception that's not based in reality.

That's something I consider extremely harmful - and it will only serve to perpetuate a fantasy until such time as unreality becomes your world.
For once, your foo-foo utopian hooey is right on the mark. ;)

Or prevent them entirely. If Zimmerman didn't have a gun, it's doubtful anyone would have been killed.

Or prevent them entirely. If Zimmerman didn't have a gun, it's doubtful anyone would have been killed.
Yep. Zimmerman would be a vegetable from having his skull smashed in, but nobody would have been killed and sweet little 12-year-old Trayvon would still be wearing his little league shirt. Huzzah for us!

Actually, the real prosecutors declined to press charges. They freighted in a special prosecutor to force the issue shortly after Obama pulled his "Trayvon Martin could be my son" racial baiting.

Wow, that's horrific. But good to see someone had some integrity.

I hate it when people like txa just go into the territory of making crap up, especially when they don't even know anything about the subject. Zimmerman is a real person, someone who's been through a lot and who I very strongly doubt wanted any of this to happen, or thought it would.

Doubtful, as the usual strawmans you emit like a great flatulating gasbag.
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word, but let's play anyway. So, you're saying that a largely baseless prediction of "altered events" is so much sulfur dioxide. Fair enough. How exactly is that different from your largely baseless prediction of "altered events"?

Zimmerman had a fly on his nose and Martin was trying to get it off. He would have dusted him off and they'd have eaten some skittles together and laughed over their misunderstanding.

I am enjoying the information coming out about the trial and how both TM and GZ were really like. I really don't understand how people can continue to think GZ killed him for the hell of it with all the evidence out there. Unicorns indeed.

People need to stop defending criminals. The vast majority of people of any race aren't criminals, but if you are sticking up for someone merely due to race then that makes you a racist. If you assume the guy of one race is innocent and the other guilty based on race, again you are a racist. And if you genuinely believe zimmerman is a racist murderer and martin an innocent schoolboy after looking at the pictures in this thread etc. then you live in a land of faeries and no one can help you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom