Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Warren Spector Interview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
God, another Spector interview? Don't worry, I can't see us posting many more but this quote caught my eye...even though it won't get made:
RPS: Okay - as a general starting point of where you are today, can we talk about how you and Disney got together?
Spector: The shortest version is… well, I was out pitching an epic fantasy RPG. It was like Deus Ex and System Shock and the Ultima Games, in that it combined a bunch of genres… and there was one really, really interesting new innovative thing which I don’t think anyone was doing at the time, and I still don’t think anyone’s doing. I’m out there pitching this thing. I get hooked up with Seamus Blackley, who’s an agent at Creative Artists Agency [And prominent figure in the genesis of the XBox - Ed]. He represented me and my studio. He suggested we talk to Disney. “Talk to Disney? There’s no way they’re going to be interested in this!” “Oh, you don’t know that - they’re changing. Let’s go out and talk to them.” So I go out there and pitch this thing and… as we’re talking, they start looking at their Blackberries.
RPS: Ouch.
More information.

Yeah, I just *love* it when a "creative genius" developer fails gloriously and enjoys it!

I am so glad that I could pay $50 for your crappy ass game and have you enjoy it. I mean, it's all about the developer enjoying himself when *making* a game and whether *we* get something good for our money is irrelevant...right?

Man I wish Warren Spector would go make air conditioners or something and just leave the game making to people who actually give a crap.

You guys just don't get it - Warren is "teh Pwnz0r"... if he failed then it's not because he made a crap game, it's because the players didn't get how great the game was. Interviews with Speccy are simply priceless... no matter what he says, it always sounds like, "Omfg, I'm so fucking awsome - I want to blow myself."

This guy's sell-out is utterly disgusting. Even more so that he actually boasts about it. WS: grow a spine, FFS.

I find it funny that you think he comes across as so arrogant in an interview in which he says:

I think to succeed at this point, given the cost of making a game, and given the competition, I think that every game has to appeal to people who don’t know who Warren Spector or Will Wright or… again, I’m not putting myself in that category. I describe myself as the bargain basement Will Wright, the Wal-Mart version of Peter Molyneux.

I've been a closet Warren Spector fan since the days of Wing Commander and Ultima Underworld (and ... to be honest... the PnP days of games like Toon). I loved meeting him "fer reals" at a GDC back in 1995 (back when it was called CGDC), though all I could really say was, "Hi! Glad to meet you! Big fan of your games!" I think Richard Garriott was a little surprised when I was chatting with him, and what I really wanted to know was, "So is Warren Spector around?"

Yeah, I'm not too keen on his sellout "I wanna do licenses!" attitude of late. I'll probably be one of those people whining and groaning with his impending announcement.

I blame the soul-crushing game biz.

I find it funny that you think he comes across as so arrogant in an interview in which he says:

Ya, well... guess that's the main problem that people have with Speccy nowadays - he says a lot of things. That's basically the only thing he does... he talks. I was a Warren Spector fan myself once (thief is one of my all time favourits), but fact is that he turned from some real genious into some kind of parsite that is living of the remains of his glorious reputation. He's constantly telling us how you have to do it... first he told us how to make good games... since that didn't work out for him lately he's gone over to tell us how to make games that might be crap, but at least earn you a lot of money.

Why not simply shut up for some time and actually create a game that people like?

Back
Top Bottom